The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Default Which resonator to pick?

Need some advice. I currently own a Recording King rp-06 parlor guitar (great guitar BTW). I am looking to buy a resonator. I have shoulder problems so it has to be on the small side. I want a biscuit cone and all metal body. I’ll be playing it with a pick, no alternate tuning, no slide. I’ve narrowed it down to the Gretsch Honey Dipper and the Republic Resolian.

As you can see the Honey Dipper is about the size of my RK. Lower bout is a little bigger but it is skinnier so probably a wash for my shoulder. The Resolian is tiny – no size problem. I have listened to every You Tube video and have concluded you can learn very little from You Tube videos. I played the Honey Dipper once before I was really looking. Never played the resolian. Now no one seems to carry the Gretsch locally. NOBODY has the Resolian. There is no way I would ever get to play them side by side.

Given the cost difference (factor in the 15% off from MF), which way should I go here. How do the two sound compared to one another? Does that tiny resolian actually sound as good as some of the You Tube vids suggest? What about quality. Seems people are pretty impressed with the Gretsch, I’ve read some spotty reviews of the resolian – junk in the wells, cone not set properly, scratched up, poor action – and to be fair, really good reviews too.

_________RK _______honey _______resolian
body___ 19.13 _______19.00 ________18.50
Upper___ 9.75 ________9.75 _________8.50
Lower___ 13.50 ______14.25 ________12.00
scale___ 25.50 _______25.00 ________24.50
depth___ 4.38 ________3.50 _________3.00
Cost______ ________530.00 _______680.00

Seeking experience and wisdom. And please, no advice to save up for a National or Beard. I know those are top quality guitars. This resonator will be for picking up occasionally for fun and different sounds, not the foundation of what I play. That $680 for the resolian would be way overstraining the budget - the CFO of the household may not even approve it. I’ll probably have to end up selling my Fender Jazz bass to fund either one.

Last edited by coloradoman; 06-20-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 AM

A couple of my students have Gretsch resonators and they look, sound, and play terrific. Huge bang for the buck.

I only know the Republics by what I've seen online. They certainly look good.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
honey dipper, resolian, resonator