The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Default Entry level Mandolin String Recommendatons

I have an entry level A style mandolin with 2 f holes (Sigma / Martin SM-1) and am wondering what strings some of you would recommend. I have always liked Martin strings and I put Martin M450 (Bluegrass) strings on it but I'm just not sure this time if I made the right choice.

Suggestions . . .
Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM

John Pearse or D'Addarios will be among the lower cost versions until you try a few others and decide which is best.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:09 PM

I use these. They're also very popular over on the Mandolin Cafe forum:

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

GHS makes some very nice mandolin strings, thinking about the same price as the Daddario.

you can try different gauges also, light, medium, or combos, med/light.

Weber used to use GHS exclusively.

d
Old 06-07-2014, 06:04 AM

John Pearse are my favorite but it's a very subjective subject. I like heavy strings for the sound but I wouldn't recommend those for a beginner.
http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm#mandolin
Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM

One of lifes little pleasures is trying out different strings on a new instrument.

Once you find a set you like always include it in the order for your next new string trial. That way you have an undo button.

D'addario lights and meds are probably the most mentioned strings I'm guessing. I like'em. Lately I have come to prefer the GHS's that came on my Pava. Every mandolin and mandolin player are unique, so what strings & picks etc that work for me may not be best for you. It's a good bet if one line is popular that it deserves a trial at some time.

If you keep an eye on music123 and some of the other sellers they run specials now and again that make it attractive to experiment.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:48 PM

I tried the martin bluegrass strings on two different mandolins and really didn't like them, they sounded dull and lifeless. My favorite strings on both of those mandolins were daddario exp77 coated 80/20s. Changing strings on mandolins is something I don't like to do all the time so I like that they last a long time.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 AM

Tim, I use John Pearse mandolin strings on all my mandolins: phosphor bronze mediums on my National RM-1 and my blonde maple hand made; phosphor bronze lights on my pre-war National wood body resonator mandolin and my Gibson Mastertone mandolin-banjo, and 80/20 heavy gauge on my "Sumi era" Kentucky KM-604.

On those occasions when I've run out of John Pearse mandolins strings I've used D'Addario mandolin strings (the Ricky Skaggs set, which has identical gauges to the JP mediums,) and Darco mandolin strings on the mandolin-banjo. The Darco strings are okay and the D'Addario strings are fine.

Something to bear in mind is that the Darco set and at least one of the Martin mandolin sets are designed with the Martin mandolin in mind:

This mandolin design, which was still part of the regular Martin product line up until fairly recently, is a bent top/flat back design of a sort that was very common in the United States in the 1920's and 30's. These instruments don't produce a bluegrass mandolin sound, however, and can't stand up to the heavier strings used on the stronger, more structurally robust Gibson-style archtop mandolin designs.

So the string sets used on these flat back mandolins tend to be lighter.

Using light gauge strings as a beginning player is a good idea, but you might find that once your fingertips get callused and the muscles in your fretting hand get stronger you might want to move up to a medium gauge set. There's a lot of stuff I play where I need some resistance from the strings to get the proper musical effect. Light gauge strings with a low string action can kind of restrict the full tonal potential on a mandolin, if that makes any sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM

Hi Wade,

Thanks.

Been playing (guitar) for years so no hand or finger problems. I have a Morgan Monroe F style mando and use Martin M450 (bluegrass) and am very happy. On this recently acquired Sigma (Martin) A style I put the M450 on them since I have them on hand and because I was thinking the heavier satrings would give more volume / projection.

My wife uses Martin M400 on her mando. (Again an A style) I think I will try the John Pearse next as that was the brand I was leaning towards.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 PM

Hi everyone who responded,

Went with the John Pearse and I like their feel and sound.

Tim
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
Hi everyone who responded,

Went with the John Pearse and I like their feel and sound.

Tim
Excellent choice. In my experience, it's hard to go wrong with Pearse products.

If you ever feel like experimenting, try the D'Add Flat Top string. They are a different, mellower sound. A unique feature is the wound AA course strings.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
I use these. They're also very popular over on the Mandolin Cafe forum:

I use J74's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
mando string suggestions