The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Default My new $45 banjo!

I was perusing Craigslist and found an ad for an open back banjo for $45. The headstock said Gold Tone and I knew these to be descent beginner banjos. So, I thought, what the heck, I'll check it out. The banjo ended up being a Gold Tone Cripple Creek CC50. These generally retail around $350 or so. This banjo was in need of some serious help! It looked like the guy had been gardening before he played it, as the head had a lot of dirt and grime on it. The strings had been changed at some point in its life, and they were put on wrong, though by the rust on the strings I'm guessing it has been a number of years since they were changed. The whole banjo had a layer of dirt and filth on it, including spider webs. The head was way too loose, making the action unplayable. But, since I like tinkering with banjos, and it was only $45, what the heck.

I brought it home, took it completely apart and carefully cleaned and set everything up as it should be, tightened the head and replaced the strings. I cleaned the head with some soap and water and took out the spider webs and dust. Once I was done, this little banjo really sounds great! It has a brass tone hoop and I have the action set just right. I'm actually quite surprised at how well it turned out!

Todd
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Awesome deal, man.

I have 5 Gold Tone products, great bang for the buck.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 AM

For $45 I wouldn't have even cared the brand on it

My son wants one, and I keep kicking the can down the road. I'll get to it eventually but the list of instruments he wants is a mile long... guitar and piano are enough for now.

When I get him one, I'll get one with a resonator, so it is super loud, and I'll get myself a resonator guitar at the same time to keep up
Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post

My son wants one, and I keep kicking the can down the road. I'll get to it eventually but the list of instruments he wants is a mile long... guitar and piano are enough for now.

When I get him one, I'll get one with a resonator, so it is super loud, and I'll get myself a resonator guitar at the same time to keep up
You'd be surprised at how loud these open back banjos can be. For just a guitar and banjo playing together, the open back is about perfect for that. If you throw in a fiddle and mandolin, the resonator comes in handy. I already have a nice resonator banjo and another nice open back. This will be my travel and "kicking around" banjo.

Todd
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Good find! I love a good CL instrument deal myself. I see something in 'music instr' almost every week, that I was not even thinking about, where I go "wow, I should get that"

And if it doesn't work out you can always dig taters with it.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:29 PM

A friend at work thought I might like to try one as he knew I played Fingerstyle so he lent me his.. those things mess with your head. Even trying to play from tabliature it seems all wrong with that high string where a low note aught to be...
Old 06-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Cool. I have a couple Gold Tones (resonator). They are more than "beginner" banjos. Their quality, tone, and feel are very good. Maybe you can posts some pics?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM

I got Gold Tone CC50 the same way! Essentially brand new but neglected since day 1. Needed lots of TLC and now it's great!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Been playing it a lot the last couple of days. What a great little banjo! I also need to check out the electric tuner that came with it. Probably not much to it. The GT gig bag is pretty bad, but perhaps I can wash it...

Todd
Old 07-20-2014, 03:15 PM

BoneDigger,

Good eye for a great deal. Way to go.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post

You could do what i do with my kids !
when they want something they have to work for it .
makes them appreciate it more !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments