The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-14-2023, 12:22 PM

Default Gibson G-00 drywall anchor removal for pickup install

Im trying to install a journeytek pickup on my gibson G-00 and having a difficult time removing what seems to be a typical blue drywall anchor where the strap button is screwed on at the base...tried to screw in the strap screw and pull it out with pliers but the anchor wont budge...should i just drill through it?, pls advise tnx
Old 10-22-2023, 03:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinkeee2000 View Post
Im trying to install a journeytek pickup on my gibson G-00 and having a difficult time removing what seems to be a typical blue drywall anchor where the strap button is screwed on at the base...tried to screw in the strap screw and pull it out with pliers but the anchor wont budge...should i just drill through it?, pls advise tnx

A Rawl anchor is made to expand once the screw is inside. You'd be much better off pushing it out from the inside, but do it with care. It may splinter the wood.

So your ultimate goal is a pickup install, and therefore if you're going to put in a pickup with an input jack, use the small hole as the guide for a properly sized reamer.

A quality reamer is not cheap, but what you can use (and what I've used for many years) is a 1/2" rotary file/reamer that goes in a drill. Ideally you want one that comes to a point. They work with a small starting hole, while the one I use is rounded, and requires a larger starting hole.

Sometimes the end block is thicker than the reach of the reamer, but once you're almost through you can break all the way through with a drill bit.

HE
Old 10-22-2023, 04:45 AM

The blue drywall anchor is plastic? Should drill through easy. A step drill with a maximum diameter of 1/2 " or 12mm is easy to use and cuts a clean hole. Leave the bit shaft partially out of the chuck and run the whole step drill through the block.

It looks scary but I've done 3, the first in a junk guitar body for practice, one of my own builds and an expensive boutique mandolin for a customer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair