The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 01:25 AM

Default recent NGD (Lowden)

I maintain that a true measure of customer service is how a business responds when things don't go so well. Case in point is my recent NGD, a very expensive (for me, at least) Lowden F-35c Pierre Bensusan signature model that wasn't what I hoped. There are several reasons for this, but for now it suffices to say that the particular guitar I received suffered in comparison with my Larrivees, especially my L-10 custom.

The seller is a company in Roswell GA by the name of Righteous Guitars, who I found through Reverb. Their service was fantastic from beginning to end. First of all, I ordered the guitar at 2 pm PST on a Friday, and it arrived at my house, via Fedex, at about 10:30 am the next morning...from Georgia (!)...just...wow. Well worth the additional $35.00 shipping that was charged.

I posted the NGD here while going absolutely nuts, not being willing to risk opening the packaging before it had at least 24 hour to acclimate after screaming along the jet-stream at 30,000 feet in a cargo hold.

Well, the guitar wasn't what I hoped, but the company has a 3-day approval period, including used pieces like this Lowden. I discussed it with them the following Monday and asked for the RA and a shipping label, which they provided immediately.

The guitar was delivered back to them today and about 90 minutes after I received notice of that, the full refund showed up in my account, including the shipping charge....again...just, wow.

These guys are on the case. Ben Calhoun, the manager that handled my case is a no-nonsense guy who really knows guitars, is dedicated to customer satisfaction and did not try to equivocate or BS me in any way at all.

The next time I manage to jack myself up for a major acquisition like this (and receive approval for same from my dear wife, instead of an admonishment to have my head examined), I will be checking their inventory and I think I can rely on a good, objective, hands-on evaluation from these guys; I already know what to expect from them in terms of service...top notch all the way.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 12-13-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Too bad the Lowden didn't work for you.

It's nice to hear of a store with great customer service. I checked out their website and they sure have some mighty fine guitars!

BTW, still lovin' my F35 EIR/Adirondack after ten years. Still blows my mind on a regular basis.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I checked it out too, great web site! Cool logo!

Will keep them in mind, hadn't heard of them previously.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Nice to hear

Glad everything worked out for you and that's some fast shipping.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

So.....what was wrong with the Lowden? The inquiring minds of other, highly satisfied, Lowden-owners need to know!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

This thread caught me off guard... I’m skimming through it at work and thought I read “Lowden F-35c Pierce Brosnan.”

Speaking of which, someone needs do a 007 inlay on a guitar.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Was this your first Lowden? What didn't you like about it? Speaking for myself, I need at least a week to start to develop a relationship with an instrument, to learn how it likes to be touched to produce the best results etc. before passing judgement. I understand you were working within a return window, which is unfortunate in this case IMO.

For the record, I'm a huge Lowden fan (and Pierre fan, too!) and this model is one of my dream guitars. Pierre talks about how George warned him that the Adirondack top would take quite a while to open up.

EDIT: here's an example, watch this video from 3:25 on to hear Pierre's comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqAcE5zL94
Old 12-13-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
So.....what was wrong with the Lowden? The inquiring minds of other, highly satisfied, Lowden-owners need to know!
I agree. I own a Lowden and couldn't be more pleased. What was wrong with it?
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:26 PM

Glad they worked with you in a supreme way. I learn fast not to pay before play when I am about to drop above $5K.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Alexander View Post
Was this your first Lowden? What didn't you like about it? Speaking for myself, I need at least a week to start to develop a relationship with an instrument, to learn how it likes to be touched to produce the best results etc. before passing judgement. I understand you were working within a return window, which is unfortunate in this case IMO.

For the record, I'm a huge Lowden fan (and Pierre fan, too!) and this model is one of my dream guitars. Pierre talks about how George warned him that the Adirondack top would take quite a while to open up.

EDIT: here's an example, watch this video from 3:25 on to hear Pierre's comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqAcE5zL94
Well, for starters it just didn't sound as glorious as I had anticipated, even after having it out of the case for a bit. The action was just a tad high, which is normally not an issue, as I'm plenty capable of making these adjustments myself...except that there was nothing left on the treble saddle. The high E string actually touched the bridge before it crossed over the saddle and there was zero room to adjust the saddle height or the neck relief and zero break angle to the saddle. It made me wonder if it needed a neck reset.

The top seemed to have excessive bellying and the bridge appeared to be tilted as a result. I was sort of expecting a bit of bellying based on what I've heard about Lowden's unique bracing, but this seemed too much to me.

The final nail in the coffin was playing it next to my Larrivee L-10. The Larrivee blew it away tone-wise. The Lowden had plenty of sustain & volume but it was just too overpowering in the midrange. Maybe I just got a bad one, or maybe this particular combination of Addy over Madrose just isn't my cup of tea.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-13-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Well, for starters it just didn't sound as glorious as I had anticipated, even after having it out of the case for a bit. The action was just a tad high, which is normally not an issue, as I'm plenty capable of making these adjustments myself...except that there was nothing left on the treble saddle. The high E string actually touched the bridge before it crossed over the saddle and there was zero room to adjust the saddle height or the neck relief and zero break angle to the saddle. It made me wonder if it needed a neck reset.

The top seemed to have excessive bellying and the bridge appeared to be tilted as a result. I was sort of expecting a bit of bellying based on what I've heard about Lowden's unique bracing, but this seemed too much to me.

The final nail in the coffin was playing it next to my Larrivee L-10. The Larrivee blew it away tone-wise. The Lowden had plenty of sustain & volume but it was just too overpowering in the midrange. Maybe I just got a bad one, or maybe this particular combination of Addy over Madrose just isn't my cup of tea.
Wow. Sounds like a lemon. Too bad. Glad the seller took care of you.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM

A friend recently purchased P B model Lowden; his was also used. He loves it. He let me try it, and I was impressed, although I do agree that time would improve its tone because of the Adirondack soundboard. Maybe you wound up with a lemon, or the original owner didn't care for it properly. In any case I am glad the seller treated you so well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion