The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Finally played a recently built Hummingbird, glad I didn't buy online now

Played a mint '16 Hummingbird today after finding it on my local craigslist. It was the expensive (4K list) Vintage Spec/true vintage model with the baked top and VOS finish.

After all the praise I've been reading from owners, I expected a lot. But after also hearing (from stores) there is a "consistency issue" in these models, I wanted to play as many as possible to find something special.

Even though the guitar looked great, was very lightweight and seemed to be built/set up right, I could tell after the first strum this particular guitar didn't have it at all; little sustain, no overtones. My son has just started playing, he even said that thing sounded "dead", glad you didn't buy it.

This was the only one close to home. I was hoping to find a good one used, but afraid to buy one now on-line. It's going to be quite sometime to find another used I'm sure, but happy that 3K is back in the bank.

For those who have played several recently built Hummingbird's or other Gibson CS guitars, do you have to go through several to find something great?

Last edited by Blasted Coyote; 12-12-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 PM

I came upon a custom bird at Chicago Music Exchange last year. I thing she had adirondack top. It was a fantastic instrument. Very easy to play, immaculate finish, and the sound was to my ears stunning. Imagine that, I do not play D shaped guitars. That guitar had something special to my ears.

Last edited by Orfeas; 12-12-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 PM

I know I'll find one eventually, just going to be a bit more difficult than I expected.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:01 PM

I've read of people liking Gibson acoustics, but unfortunately, every time I pick one up in a guitar shop and play a chord, all I get is what sounds to me like a dull, thud tone. Perhaps I am overly accustomed to brighter sounding Martins and Taylors - I do like that bright sparkle. And I don’t need the guitar to work with my voice.

I just don't get the love I read about for Gibson acoustics. Probably simply my own misfortune, perhaps.

I've never encountered one that sounded good to me, that's all. I guess I’m just not a Gibson acoustic guy. (Have plenty of their electrics, though!)

Last edited by DHart; 12-13-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:57 PM

I only own vintage Gibsons now. I have owned a few newer ones but they don't measure up, in many cases. I haven't played a new one in the last year, that I would buy.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

I've seen a lot of issues with that model, who is too bad cuz I wanted one too. The local GC had one that sounded good, but it needed a neck reset. They were blowing it out at a good price, but no thanks. I own some Gibson acoustics that I like a lot, but you do have to be selective.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Guest 728

I love the Gibson tone, and have played FAR more good ones than bad. But I found that it's a taste that grows on you the more hours you put in on one. Play nothing else for a week--especially if you sing--and you'll forever crave that thumpy, dry tone. I own and will own other guitars, but Gibson will always be "my voice."
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I love the Gibson tone, and have played FAR more good ones than bad. But I found that it's a taste that grows on you the more hours you put in on one. Play nothing else for a week--especially if you sing--and you'll forever crave that thumpy, dry tone. I own and will own other guitars, but Gibson will always be "my voice."
I find many people that are trying out new Gibsons don't know what to listen for. Gibsons thump and have a tone that is very different than a Martin or a Tayor. I think the chances of finding a very good new Gibson are very good. And it's the Gibson tone that works for me. It justs works with my voice. The J45 is my tool of choice, and has been ever since I bought mine a few years ago. And although I own a fabulous 1964, my main gigger is a 1950's triburst reissue model that is quickly on it's way to finding a vintage voice. And when I record one of my favorite guitars is a Montana built J100 Xtra.

Yep I like Martins too, but I love Gibsons...

The gigger...

it's backup (1979 Gibson Gospel)...

the big fat fingerpicker (2004 Gibson J100 Xtra)...

and my vintage rigs ('64 J45, '66 ES125)

Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Guest 1511

Some people like red wine and some people like beer. Some like Ford, some like Chevy. A person calling all Gibsons bad because they don't like the tone is disingenuous at best. There are obviously a lot of people who do. It would be more accurate and correct to simply say it's not a tone that works for them, not that they are are all bad, saying things like that is just plain silly.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I've read of people liking Gibson acoustics, but unfortunately, every time I pick one up in a guitar shop and play a chord, all I get is dull, thud tone.

I just don't get the love I read about for Gibson acoustics. Probably all my own misfortune, I guess.

But that's probably only because I've never encountered one that sounded good, that's all.

There must be some good ones out there. Somewhere? Right?

This seems to be a copy paste response from some members on AGF. Pay no attention, they have probably played one Gibson in 10 years and it was one with dead strings at a GC.

Back to the OP. I spent a year searching for a good J-45, after spending a year playing every guitar under the sun in order to find which guitar suited me the best. Played a few dozen vintage and a few dozen more new and used. The price and the necks kept me away from vintage. Anyways I have to say the newer Gibsons out of Bozeman are actually really good. During that search I came across a dud or two but I found a dud or two from Martin, Taylor etc. The rest were really good and I think the biggest problem is some of what other people call duds are not really duds at all they just need a proper set up and a fresh set of strings. Sometimes a guitar will sound bad yet you can feel its potential. I almost walked away with a J-45 at least 10 different times. But I had a trip planned for L.A later that year and knew I would find it there. Had a dream about it. And I did find "the one" in L.A. First strum. Long story short, it's not easy shopping for a guitar if your top priority is tone. Only shop online if they have a no questions asked return policy. That way you can replace the strings and give it a true test run.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I've read of people liking Gibson acoustics, but unfortunately, every time I pick one up in a guitar shop and play a chord, all I get is dull, thud tone.

I just don't get the love I read about for Gibson acoustics. ...
+1

I came to the thud realization back in High School 45 years ago.
I keep giving Gibby acoustics a try but keep getting thudded out of the showroom.

Clearly many folks like thud.
Nothing wrong with that.
People vary.

I'm not bashing Gibby.
I absolutely LoOoOoOoVE my two Gibby's, a Les Paul and an ES-335.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
This seems to be a copy paste response from some members on AGF. Pay no attention, they have probably played one Gibson in 10 years and it was one with dead strings at a GC.

Back to the OP. I spent a year searching for a good J-45, after spending a year playing every guitar under the sun in order to find which guitar suited me the best. Played a few dozen vintage and a few dozen more new and used. The price and the necks kept me away from vintage. Anyways I have to say the newer Gibsons out of Bozeman are actually really good. During that search I came across a dud or two but I found a dud or two from Martin, Taylor etc. The rest were really good and I think the biggest problem is some of what other people call duds are not really duds at all they just need a proper set up and a fresh set of strings. Sometimes a guitar will sound bad yet you can feel its potential. I almost walked away with a J-45 at least 10 different times. But I had a trip planned for L.A later that year and knew I would find it there. Had a dream about it. And I did find "the one" in L.A. First strum. Long story short, it's not easy shopping for a guitar if your top priority is tone. Only shop online if they have a no questions asked return policy. That way you can replace the strings and give it a true test run.
Man, I’m sure glad I don’t have to struggle that hard to find a Martin or a Taylor that I love. So easy to find Martins and Taylors that I think sound awesome.

Here... I fixed my previous comments for ya:

Quote:
I've read of people liking Gibson acoustics, but unfortunately, every time I pick one up in a guitar shop and play a chord, all I get is what sounds to me like a dull, thud tone. Perhaps I am overly accustomed to brighter sounding Martins and Taylors - I do like that bright sparkle. And I don’t need the guitar to work with my voice.

I just don't get the love I read about for Gibson acoustics. Probably simply my own misfortune, perhaps.

I've never encountered one that sounded good to me, that's all. I guess I’m just not a Gibson acoustic guy. (Have plenty of their electrics, though!)

Last edited by DHart; 12-13-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
+1

I came to the thud realization back in High School 45 years ago.
I keep giving Gibby acoustics a try but keep getting thudded out of the showroom.

Clearly many folks like thud.
Nothing wrong with that.
People vary.

I'm not bashing Gibby.
I absolutely LoOoOoOoVE my two Gibby's, a Les Paul and an ES-335.
I’m happy if some folks love their Gibson acoustics. After owning quite a few Gibson solid body, semi-hollow body, and full hollow body electrics, I’ve TRIED to like their acoustics. Just like I said, though, I haven’t played one that I liked the sound of, that’s all.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 AM

I've had mine for seven years. She was not a good sounding one, especially she had a dead low G note (didn't know why, but no sustain at all on and only on this note), which made me really unhappy for a while. I kept her only because of some emotional attachment (she was played and signed by a guitar heroine of mine back by then).

But during the years, she changed a lot. She aged not only cosmetically, with some dings and scratches, but also tonally. I can't remember since when the dead note has long gone, now every bit of her is sensitive and dynamic. She doesn't sound muffled any more - on the contrary, her voice now shines a lot. I can't say she is a great sounding guitar now, I mean, she sometimes sounds stunning, more than any other guitars I've heard, which always gives me a current through my spine; but interesting enough, she has her own temper. She dislikes wet days, and prefer to show her delicate voice on silent nights. She is so blue that I can feel she with her own soul, and all the time she reminds me of that ex-girlfriend of mine, who has a depressive disorder.

Several months ago I got my second Gibson, a rare B-25 3/4 reissue by Gibson custom shop. I was attracted by her gorgeous appearance (say I simply can't resist cherryburst), but that was a blind online purchase. The guitar was shipped from Japan, I payed a hell lot of custom tax, plus some expensive shipping fee to get her. This little bird, with her tiny body and a notorious ladder-bracing, was not expected to have a great sound; but she gives me surprises every now and then. Shiny, sweet and succinct. Other times she simply sounds mediocre and dull.

This gives me an impression that, acoustic guitars have a life. They can be happy and show you their best part, or sometimes not in a good mood and vaguely respond to you. That being said, when buying a guitar, it is always a good idea to try it first. It’s better to wait for a great guitar to become available than it is to wait for the first available guitar to become great.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Man, I’m sure glad I don’t have to struggle that hard to find a Martin or a Taylor that I love. So easy to find Martins and Taylors that I think sound awesome.

Here... I fixed my previous comments for ya:
The chase started with a Martin, or so I thought, but I could never find one that did it for me and that led me to the J-45. Everyone has their own ear and preferences. I wouldn't call it a struggle either. I actually miss the hunt. And it didn't take me a year to find a good sounding J-45, it actually only took me 15 minutes as my local shop had a pair that sounded great. But that would be boring. Like hunting in a deer stand waiting for dumb luck versus actively tracking and perusing your prey.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion