The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT77 View Post
I have to wonder what the balance is here. I tend think Shades of Blue represents the stronger sentiment here and I'd wager it's only likely to grow in that direction as well.
There is a $ value in everyone's mind that makes the risk worth it. To me, it's relatively small, say $100. To others, $500-1000 may be what it would take to make the online risk.

In the end, I do wish I could support brick and mortar shops. However, I have mouths to feed and I'd like to have my toys too.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I personally wouldn't buy an extended warranty through GC, as they will most likely not be around to service it. Money wasted!
Not necessarily. I don't know if local, state, or US laws cover this, but I MUST tell a (funny) story about this: I have a friend in Columbia, South Carolina that keeps cars for a llooonnnngggg time. He had a very old Oldsmobile Cutlass and this was 1988 when I was in grad school there.

Anyway, JC Penney's (!!!!) used to have auto repair and parts sales. Really. My friend bought a LIFETIME car battery for his Cutlass (parts mfrs will do this sometimes because the average duration of ownership for most people for cars is TYPICALLY not very long). Anyway, Penney's stopped doing auto stuff but they were required, by law, to have someone honor those warranties. I believe Firestone took over when Penney's dropped auto stuff.

When I left Columbia in 1989, my friend had gone through at least 3-5 battteries, LOL. And, he may still have that car!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:29 AM

I don't see it happening in my life time...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

There are times when I sense a disconnect between the complaints about the declining state/existence of brick and mortar stores and the stories of using GC as a try-out place before placing an order online with a different dealer.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb9682 View Post
A new one just opened by me in Houston about 4 months ago? There are now 9 that I know of in the Houston Metro area...granted that covers a decent amount of space but I wonder why open a new one in an area with so many stores if business overall is so bad
Kind of like mcdonalds or a pharmacy. Saturate
The area until its full. My take on gc has always
Been the micky dees of guitar stores. I think
Like radio shack and book stores the brick and
Mortar business model may be passé. Hope they
Survive but if they don't . Well the local store is still
Here.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:50 PM

There appears to be a love/hate relationship with GC.
I'm happy to have one close to me but I don't go through guitars like I used to.
My time in a GC is usually spent playing a dozen or so guitars and then purchasing some strings on my way out.

I hope that GC will make it but it probably won't be on my dollar.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
There are times when I sense a disconnect between the complaints about the declining state/existence of brick and mortar stores and the stories of using GC as a try-out place before placing an order online with a different dealer.
Well see, they have to buy online because the guitars at GC all look kinda worn, like a bunch of people tried them out ...
Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Kind of like mcdonalds or a pharmacy. Saturate
The area until its full. My take on gc has always
Been the micky dees of guitar stores. I think
Like radio shack and book stores the brick and
Mortar business model may be passé. Hope they
Survive but if they don't . Well the local store is still
Here.
One difference between GC and the other chains you mentioned is that GC DOES sell quality stuff along with the lower end. I went in today to pick up something I had ordered and shipped to the store. I saw that they had Taylor 914ce, the 814ce, and several others of the higher end of the Taylor line. Same thing for the Martin guitars. They had plenty of high quality stuff in the pro audio and keyboard areas too, along with some decent electric guitars and decent pedals. They also had more affordable stuff at the lower end. In sort, a wide spread across the price ranges were represented right there in the store.

My experience with Radio Shack, aside from their components (resistors, caps, transformers, etc.) for builders like me, they would occasionally come up with some truly fine stereo equipment, but only occasionally. Otherwise, their offerings were all in the lower ranges of quality.

McDonalds is not the place to go for quality food, but instead is very convenient.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM

My GC is packed with merchandise and a truck was unloading when I was there today. Ordered around $2300 worth of Xmas to do my part to help them stay in business. Good deals and good inventory. I told the manager the rumor was they are going out of business.... He laughed and said "wish I had a dollar everything I've heard that." They all had a good laugh and one said you much be reading stuff off AGF....now that was funny.

GC keeps the small businesses honest. Without GC local shops could and would do what they wanted with prices. I've had my problems with GC but all have been worked out and I was the winner. The 3 local dealers won't let you even touch a guitar unless they're standing with you. Got big signs on them "do not touch" .... My local shops are terrible with inventory and knowledge unless you want the brand they are pushing--usually Fender or Seagulls. The last one I was in had a Martin for around $2499 and when I said something about the action (after waiting an hour for the one attendant to unlock it), he stuck a truss wrench in it and went around two whole turns right in front of me. Wow!

How can anyone not like a store that has over 500 guitars in stock, unlimited access to playing them, 30 day free trial, price match any other dealer--even the Internet, no pressure to buy or leave the store, no one watching over you???

I think I will order another guitar tonight to help the cause!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
My GC is packed with merchandise and a truck was unloading when I was there today. Ordered around $2300 worth of Xmas to do my part to help them stay in business. Good deals and good inventory. I told the manager the rumor was they are going out of business.... He laughed and said "wish I had a dollar everything I've heard that." They all had a good laugh and one said you much be reading stuff off AGF....now that was funny.

GC keeps the small businesses honest. Without GC local shops could and would do what they wanted with prices. I've had my problems with GC but all have been worked out and I was the winner. The 3 local dealers won't let you even touch a guitar unless they're standing with you. Got big signs on them "do not touch" .... My local shops are terrible with inventory and knowledge unless you want the brand they are pushing--usually Fender or Seagulls. The last one I was in had a Martin for around $2499 and when I said something about the action (after waiting an hour for the one attendant to unlock it), he stuck a truss wrench in it and went around two whole turns right in front of me. Wow!

How can anyone not like a store that has over 500 guitars in stock, unlimited access to playing them, 30 day free trial, price match any other dealer--even the Internet, no pressure to buy or leave the store, no one watching over you???

I think I will order another guitar tonight to help the cause!!!

Couldn’t have said it better!
Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
In the end, I do wish I could support brick and mortar shops. However, I have mouths to feed and I'd like to have my toys too.
Funny thing. When I order a guitar shipped to me it actually comes from a brick and mortar shop.

Some times literally, Ted's place (LA Guitar Sales) is a block building.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Funny thing. When I order a guitar shipped to me it actually comes from a brick and mortar shop.

Some times literally, Ted's place (LA Guitar Sales) is a block building.

True! I’ve bought from Ted several times!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Big Picture - Online Stores vs Bricks & Mortar
I own a Custom Golf Shop. In the last ten years almost every bricks and mortar golf shop was put out of business by online stores. I offer only custom built clubs and the custom industry is flourishing. Right now there is a demand for big box music stores but the writing is on the wall - online stores will win.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 AM

I used to be the “guitar guy” at a mom and pop music store that was pretty much done in By GC and internet sales. If I’m honest, the GC experience is better than what we were able to offer. They can carry more instruments from more makers and a wider range of accessories than we were able to. I hope they survive.

Thankfully, The Music Emporium is as close as the nearest GC. That’s where I go when I want a truly outstanding stringed instrument experience.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Nashville..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb9682 View Post
A new one just opened by me in Houston about 4 months ago? There are now 9 that I know of in the Houston Metro area...granted that covers a decent amount of space but I wonder why open a new one in an area with so many stores if business overall is so bad
There has been a big big store 3 miles south of Nashville for years. They opened another one in a failing mall about 15 miles north of Nashville at the first of this year. And this one is 1 mile from a Sam Ash.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion