The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
What kind of leather do you use?
Hi, I buy leather on Ebay - usually about 4-5 m/m thick and ther is a small family business that sells them 3" wide so I just order the length I want - all very plain - I don't stitch them.

It is "butt" cowhide and I get 48" long (my straps are 44-45" long) Mostly I roughen the surface and polish them with show cream but sometimes I just lest them darken down with age.

I pay about £15-£17 each piece, and enjoy making them. I'm fortunate to have found a 1/2" diameter hole punch which is ideal for both ends, and I have to buy a Schaller Strap-lock for the heel end - I only use a split 1/"2 hole for the tail and have never had any issues. I seal the sides and holes with a small soldering iron.

See :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0609.jpg (30.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0610.jpg (31.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 AM

I have a strap for each guitar that lives in that guitar's case. I'm not partial to any particular brand but I do prefer leather with suede finish on the inside. If a strap is finished on the inside, it will slide on my shoulder which I find uncomfortable and annoying.

I also played seated 99% of the time but still like wearing a strap. Unless I'm at home practicing. I honestly don't know why I don't wear one at home but insist on wearing one when I play at my church but I do...

And I must also have 6 picks on my music stand at church...

Yeah, we guitar folk are kinda strange sometimes (well, I am at least)

Best,
PJ
Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 AM

I took Wade Hampton's advice from a previous thread and bought a Walker & Williams leather strap. As soon as I received it, I ordered another one. Really good quality for the money. I showed one to the owner of the local guitar shop and he is going to start stocking them. He rated it as the equal of Levy (that he also carries)
Charlie
Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 AM

as long as they are comfortable and do not contain anything that could hurt the guitar, i'm good with any strap.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Default Straps and prefrences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

As much as I like my Levy's Leathers straps, the Walker and Williams straps are of the same high quality but sell for about a third the price. And, no, they're not made in China, but in the USA.

So I've become a major fan. I have no formal connection with them whatsoever, I'm not an artist endorser for them, I'm just very impressed by their products and their prices.

Here's a link you can check out if you're so inclined: http://walkerandwilliams.com/

Wade Hampton Miller

Thanks for the tip on this. I ordered a couple of straps from walker and Williams yesterday. Does appear to be very good value for money.

Last edited by CycleBob; 09-08-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I buy leather on Ebay - usually about 4-5 m/m thick and ther is a small family business that sells them 3" wide so I just order the length I want - all very plain - I don't stitch them.

It is "butt" cowhide and I get 48" long (my straps are 44-45" long) Mostly I roughen the surface and polish them with show cream but sometimes I just lest them darken down with age.

I pay about £15-£17 each piece, and enjoy making them. I'm fortunate to have found a 1/2" diameter hole punch which is ideal for both ends, and I have to buy a Schaller Strap-lock for the heel end - I only use a split 1/"2 hole for the tail and have never had any issues. I seal the sides and holes with a small soldering iron.

See :
Thanks!

I've got plenty of cowhide

That's a cool idea, sealing the holes and sides with a soldering iron.

I've got stacked felt discs pressed between nuts and washers on a piece of threaded stock. To burnish the edges I chuck the set up in my drill press and turn it on low speed. With a bit of beeswax, that will burnish the edges really nicely. But I bet it's quicker to do it with a soldering iron.

I guess it's time for me to make a strap or two.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-08-2017, 08:32 PM

I agree with adding a Strap to each of my Guitars. I buy Taylor leather straps for my Taylor’s and Martin straps for my Martins. For my other acoustics and electrics my go to Strap is the Levi’s M26 leather available in a variety of colors. Excellent quality and a great company to do business with. They also the manufacture straps for high end guitar manufacturers.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I agree with adding a Strap to each of my Guitars. I buy Taylor leather straps for my Taylor’s and Martin straps for my Martins. For my other acoustics and electrics my go to Strap is the Levi’s M26 leather available in a variety of colors. Excellent quality and a great company to do business with. They also the manufacture straps for high end guitar manufacturers.
It's Levy's. Levi makes blue jeans.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 12-09-2017, 03:23 AM

I've always had issues with straps. The ends wear quickly, meaning you have to shell out around $20.00 for a set of strap locks, or risk damage to your guitar. Also, with regular straps, I've always had a problem with them putting pressure on a nerve in the left side my neck, causing my left hand to go numb while playing. This was a problem, especially when fingerpicking.

I remedied both problems by switching to a classical strap that clips to the bottom of the sound hole. Light, and easy to change guitars on stage. It distributes the weight evenly over the entire back of my neck, eliminating the numb hand problem. And no more worn-out strap ends turnng loose...
Old 12-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewStrummer View Post
I have a thing about getting a new strap for each guitar I own. .....I love fine leather straps, and I try to match each guitar with a strap that fits it's color scheme....
I am the same way.

My Taylors have Levy Leathers made, Taylor brand suede straps in shades of brown to complement the guitar. My other two acoustics have similar Levy straps (the closest unlabeled model they sell). And my black Gibson electric has a black strap.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Musical minimalist

I've been using the same wide leather strap I bought from Elderly in '77 - never had any others and never felt the need. I rarely stand and play any more as I can't be nearly as accurate with fingerstyle playing.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:43 AM

We have a guy in Utah that makes fantastic straps.
I recently saw a picture of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill with straps that they got from him.
Here is a link to his shop.
https://www.facebook.com/nayscustoml...9345836096340/

I started using a strap lock a few months ago when one of my performing guitar straps started to come off the guitar.
It's a Dunlop and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-7007SI...SIN=B0006ZXFWO

Last edited by L20A; 12-09-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:50 AM

I have a D'Addario Planet Waves leather strap for every guitar and bass I own. $12 from MF. Nothing fancy, just a basic leather strap, but all I need.

For the mandolin, I have a strap from Lakota Leathers that's a work of art.
2021 Martin 000-28
2017 Guild OM-120
Old 12-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I like leather straps with a minimum 4" width and not in black. A brown or tan colour is what I prefer.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I use a soft leather 2.5" strap with a P on it. I forgot the maker's name. Very comfortable, easy to switch from guitar to guitar. For my smaller guitar I have a 3.5 to 4" Levy strap that I have adjusted for its size.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion