The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 04:21 AM
Guest4562

I have several straps that I bought over thirty years ago, all soft, wide leather, no buckles or ornamentation, either in black or brown. I use StrapLoks on all my electrics an on my Ovation a/e.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I like the Long Hollow straps sold by Shoreline, one of our AGF sponsors. Include AGF in the coupon code and get a 10% discount.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have a strap for each guitar too, and, like you, I like them to kinda colour match - so I make my own - 3" wide one piece of leather, 43" between centres, with a Schaller Straplock on the heel end.
What kind of leather do you use?
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

I have a Levy's I use - it was a gift, beautiful suede and well-made. But the dang thing is so thick I'm always afraid it'll pop off - even with stays. a Real pain sometimes.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 AM

I would never pay this much for a strap but I received a handmade leather strap, with my initials on it, as a gift.

The lead guitarist in the worship band I play in makes them. Check out the link below!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MichaelJamesLeather
Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewStrummer View Post
I have a thing about getting a new strap for each guitar I own. I know some folks who use the same strap for all their guitars.

I love fine leather straps, and I try to match each guitar with a strap that fits it's color scheme.

Funny thing, I saw... I think it was the doobie brothers or one of these bands, where the guitarist was using one of those cheap, come with the guitar Fender straps on a Gibson Les Paul .. guess he doesn't care ... a strap is a strap.

For my Martin guitars, I usually use a nice leather Martin Strap, but would try other leather custom straps if I knew where to look.

What Straps do you prefer? Does each of your guitars have its own strap?
I do the same thing. I prefer Martin straps. The thing is that I have accumulated too many Martin guitars over the last 55 years. That means I have a lot of straps.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 AM

Default Straps and prefrences

I'm a fan of Lock-it brand straps. I use the leather version. Easy to get on and off, supple, and will not come off the guitar. I have one for each acoustic. I'll probably get another Lock-it cloth strap for my electric.

https://lockitstraps.com/
Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I like the Long Hollow straps sold by Shoreline, one of our AGF sponsors. Include AGF in the coupon code and get a 10% discount.
I have a Long Hollow Softy and it is a very comfortable, inexpensive strap. My only complaint is that I wear the guitar quite high and I'm using the second hole on the strap tail (something about that extra piece of strap tail hanging down displeases me). But a great strap and probably a non-problem for most. Someday I'll figure out how to sew the end so I can cut it.

I also have a Walker and Williams strap. Good padding and thick leather for the money. Very nice. My problem with this strap is that it's so thick at the heel button it barely stays on. I suppose it will improve with age.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 AM

I have two 2.5" and two 4" Italia straps. Pretty thick and takes a good bit of use to break them in, but once they're done, they feel great, soft and buttery like good leather. Like a fine baseball glove. So far, no stitching unraveling. The 4"ers are great for heavy electric or bass. No sliding on the shoulder. I like the plain look too. During holidays or special sales, you can get them fairly inexpensively with a 2 for 1 sale and no shipping.

The padded Levy's are great too. Also have one of the Lock-It straps with the spring-loaded button that is a great design and rolls up tight for limited case storage.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction:

Looking for a plain, skinny leather strap that is available in a variety of bright colors. Would prefer a single strip of maybe 2" leather, but one of those rockabilly type straps with the skinny strip / wider sliding pad would be fine too. More concerned about the colors. Looking for something like cream, seafoam, orange, or an orange-red like Fender's fiesta red.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction:

Looking for a plain, skinny leather strap that is available in a variety of bright colors. Would prefer a single strip of maybe 2" leather, but one of those rockabilly type straps with the skinny strip / wider sliding pad would be fine too. More concerned about the colors. Looking for something like cream, seafoam, orange, or an orange-red like Fender's fiesta red.

Any help is appreciated.
http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/de...p-mg317ll-org/

http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/de...p-mg317ll-sea/

http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/ge...strap-m11-red/

http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/ba...strap-m12-red/

Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Straps are expensive and I've blown enough money on so many other things (capos, picks, tuners, pins, etc.) that somehow I have not fallen prey to SAS (strap acquisition syndrome.) I have two straps, one is a cheap nylon blue strap that I no longer use and a black/tan suede Levy's strap that I use on all my guitars, both electric or acoustic regardless of whether they have a strap button on the upper bout, heel or if I have to use a boot lace to tie it to the headstock.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Plain black woven nylon for me, cost about a fiver, rolls up small enough to fit in the case glove box. My guitars aren't catwalk models and I just want something purely functional, not 'matching'. Leave that stuff to the ladies for whom it matters

Last edited by AndrewG; 09-06-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 AM

I've got a few kicking around - some with metal buckles that I won't use anymore. My favorite, at this time, is a cheapo nylon webbing strap in bright yellow POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS.

But I do have a decent stash of partial hides in different thicknesses and finishes (I used to make gun holsters as a hobby) so I suppose it's time to dig up my leather and get the tools together... and make my own guitar straps as well.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 AM

Regarding straps I have only been playing about 4 years. Have never worn a strap as I am always playing seated. Whenever I have tried to play standing up it seems extremely awkward and difficult. Should I:

1. Wear a strap even when seated?
2. Take more time to practice playing standing up?
3. Forget about it as I will probably never be a strap kind of guy?

Thanks in advance for your input. Please note that my highest aspirations to ever play out at all would be light busking in retirement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion