The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I have one strap - leather - I made it and it goes from guitar to guitar. To me, a strap is pretty much a strap and anything over $15 is over my budget. Plus, the guitar doesn't know the difference anyway. This one is 7-8 oz leather with real comfy shearling (sheepskin saddle lining) which can be changed if it gets too funky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strap.jpg (33.7 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 09-06-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 PM

Default strapped

I keep one with each guitar. That way, it is never forgotten. I have a variety that I use, but recently have made my own from wide woven belts that I got when I was in Ecuador. My National has an extra wide one to distribute the weight more evenly.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Yeah. They all have straps.

And most of them are Franklin straps, all leather, 3' wide. Some lined with suede, some with glove leather. Worth a look

1947 Martin 00-18G
1950 Martin 00-18 (birth year)
1965 Guild F-30 NT
1967 Gretsch Country Gentleman
1979 Martin E-18
1984 Martin D-28V Brazilian
2008 Gretsch Nashhville Classic
2009 Martin 0M-40 Madagascar custom sunburst
2010 Kirk Sand Classic custom nylon
2013 Martin D-18A 1939
2015 Martin 000-28C
2016 Martin D-28A 1941
Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Smile

They are expensive and maybe for that reason don't make sense but I do really like the Ethos Straps I have. I get a new one for each guitar. All kinds of styles. Check them out. Then check the price and talk yourself out of it. Then wait for a sale. Makes a great Christmas present, a least for me.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewStrummer View Post
I have a thing about getting a new strap for each guitar I own. I know some folks who use the same strap for all their guitars.

I love fine leather straps, and I try to match each guitar with a strap that fits it's color scheme.

Funny thing, I saw... I think it was the doobie brothers or one of these bands, where the guitarist was using one of those cheap, come with the guitar Fender straps on a Gibson Les Paul .. guess he doesn't care ... a strap is a strap.

For my Martin guitars, I usually use a nice leather Martin Strap, but would try other leather custom straps if I knew where to look.

What Straps do you prefer? Does each of your guitars have its own strap?
Each of my guitars has its own nice leather strap, I also will not put a strap on my guitar with a buckle on it so it will not scratch the guitar finish. I feel they deserve the finest I can afford!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 PM

I can recommend two really fine leather strap makers:

1. PinegroveLeather, in England. Rod Boyes is a great guy, plus a musician too. You have to go to Etsy, which is an on-line market place. Then just type in PineGroveLeather in the search bar. He's a great communicator.

2. Lakota Leathers.com. All hand made from Bison leather by the Lakota Indian Tribe. They are located on the Pine Ridge Lakota Sioux Indian reservation in South Dakota. Kenny Bohling is also very responsive with answering questions.

Both of these places have very high quality straps for a very decent price.
Around $60 - 70.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Because I'm a multi-instrumentalist, and own multiple mandolins, banjos and mountain dulcimers as well as quite a few guitars, there has to be a strap in every case. No way around it, really. I admire the zen-like simplicity of the approach of those who own one strap, one capo and one tuner, but am unable to operate that way myself. Everything I need needs to be in each case, so I can grab them on the fly as I head out the door.

I'm a longtime fan of Levy's Leathers of Canada, and own a bunch of their straps. But in the past year I've become acquainted with Walker and William straps, and am amazed at the high quality and low prices that they offer. My new-to-me 2014 Martin D-18 was the first instrument of mine to get its own Walker and Williams strap, and I've since acquired a mandolin strap and another guitar strap from them.

As much as I like my Levy's Leathers straps, the Walker and Williams straps are of the same high quality but sell for about a third the price. And, no, they're not made in China, but in the USA.

So I've become a major fan. I have no formal connection with them whatsoever, I'm not an artist endorser for them, I'm just very impressed by their products and their prices.

Here's a link you can check out if you're so inclined: http://walkerandwilliams.com/

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Default straps

I will echo what Wade says, having perused their site - looks to be top level.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:46 PM

Wide (4"), leather and non-slipping, preferably in brown.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 PM

For years, I had but one strap, a holdover from when I had but one guitar. When I acquired more instruments, I simply moved the strap to the instrument I was playing. Simple! That is, until the day I needed that strap and it was back home, taking its ease in another case. No problem, I'll just sit. No, not for this gig - I need to stand. So I use a chair as a footstool and end up with a tired, achy back in short order. Since those days, I have collected at least one strap for each instrument that needs strapping. (Don't really need one with my recorders or harmonicas, except maybe sometimes for my bass recorder, and a cheap sax strap works nicely for that one.) So today I'm using a variety of Taylor suede, Levys, etc., even plain cotton that a student friend turned into a work of art.

cotten
Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 PM

I've got a couple, all wide and leather, shaped by time & use to my shoulder. One hasn't, in fact; it's a harder leather, but it's gonna last forever bc of how long it's taking to break in.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

I can't stress how excellent Sully Straps are.

I have two. the earlier post linking to them is right on.

Nicest guy, lifetime strap that's get better with age... and mine were no more expensive than any good leather strap.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have a strap for each guitar too, and, like you, I like them to kinda colour match - so I make my own - 3" wide one piece of leather, 43" between centres, with a Schaller Straplock on the heel end.
Oh, yes, couple of other points - you don't need any adjustment, once you have determined the length that suits you best.

It also has to fit comfortably in the top end of the case above the headstock.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:28 AM

I source from the fat man belt selection at the thrift store. Take off the buckle and drill a couple holes. But only use real non stitched leather
Old 09-06-2017, 04:13 AM

I use Leathergraft straps made in Liverpool UK. I have two (one for acoustic and one for electric). Great quality and very reasonable prices.

My electric one is made from 2" soft dark green leather. It is twenty plus years old and has seen literally thousands of shows.

I bought a new 2.5" strap for my D28 earlier this year...

http://leathergraft.co.uk/product/2-...r-strap-black/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion