The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
yes, it wants to, but why?
I have no idea...LOL
Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tipton View Post
There are already great responses. Let's see if I can say it in a very simple way:

Play the following notes from the C major scale : C, D, E, F, G, A, B

Your ear wants to hear the B go to the C. Remember that. My example didn't sound finished. Like, "Where is the last note? Finish!"

Now, play the following notes from the same scale.: C, B, A, G, F

It may be more subtle, but you ear wants to hear the F go to the E. Remember that, too.

So the B wants to go to the C. The F wants to go to the E. When you play a G7 chord and then a C chord, both happen at the same time. In my examples, you heard that one note want to move to another. With both happening at the same time, that feeling is twice as strong.

Think about the notes in the G7: g, b, d, and f. Both B and F are tendency tones that want to go to C and E.

The notes of a C chord: c,e,and g. The B went to a C, and the F went to an E.
Wow! That just makes it worse. Some notes make you want to go up; others make you want to go down. How come ALL of the notes don't make you want to go somewhere else ... or do they?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tipton View Post
I have no idea...LOL
exactly!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Wow! That just makes it worse. Some notes make you want to go up; others make you want to go down. How come ALL of the notes don't make you want to go somewhere else ... or do they?
they might rabbit, they might
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Or, in terms of the physics, how is it possible that when your eardrum is vibrating at a particular frequency, your brain thinks, "I'll be happier if that were vibrating a certain number of Hz faster, or slower"? It's got to be somehow context dependent; it can't be that certain frequencies are intrinsically more desired, because if you capo the leading note and chord up to what was the desired note and chord, you're still not happy--it still makes you want to go somewhere else!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 PM

I am reminded of a colleague's lament from my prior life as a college chemistry professor:

The occasional student would come to his office with a question that revealed a vast "chasm" between where the student was and where she needed to be in order to grasp the answer to her question. The resulting crisis of conscience was whether to attempt the almost certainly futile effort of backfilling a solid crossing over the chasm, likely resulting in tremendous student frustration, disappointment, and resentment, OR, just give her a simplistic--plausible sounding but basically wrong--answer that he knew would result in her leaving his office happy and thinking what a great teacher he was.

I have a nagging feeling that my music questions may be of that nature. If so, please don't hesitate to tell me. I'm used to it. I'm remembering in grad school asking my physics-major room mate questions that he could only answer by muttering and slowly shaking his head. (e.g., How comes the moon looks white from far off but like grayish dirt up close--there were some moon rocks on display at Cornell.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write