The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Recording classical guitar - examples and more..

Dear all
My name is Per Lindhof.
For some years I have done a lot of experimentation in recording classical guitar at home. I have made a youtube channel with lots of examples - good and bad.
Feel free to comment and listen:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXX...fvkP5GTis5utvA

My latest example is mid-side recording which I find very useful for classical guitar, as it gives a nicely centered image with some depth.

Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSSWDIkJ1Q

I hope, you find it useful.

Kind regards
Per Lindhof - Denmark
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM

thanks - i watched this one and enjoyed it.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 AM

i noticed a big improvement, more sparkle, do you have any idea what he did?

Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Hi
Well he did a LOT. Mostly eq around the mid range but also a lot of other quite detailed changes around the reverb, high end etc.
I do have the details in another thread in danish, but my point is, that I had to work with the room and set up a lot more.
If the basic recording isn't nice a lot of the mastering is more a repair job than improvements.
If you listen to my mid-side recording I guess that I really improved it without needing mastering.

Mid-side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSSWDIkJ1Q

Regards Per
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 PM

Thanks Per for the recording tips, very informative!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Lindhof View Post
Hi
Well he did a LOT. Mostly eq around the mid range but also a lot of other quite detailed changes around the reverb, high end etc.
I do have the details in another thread in danish, but my point is, that I had to work with the room and set up a lot more.
If the basic recording isn't nice a lot of the mastering is more a repair job than improvements.
If you listen to my mid-side recording I guess that I really improved it without needing mastering.

Mid-side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSSWDIkJ1Q

Regards Per
yes, i did listen to that recording as well. very nice. i don't know a lot about recording, but i alway shy away from mid-side due to poor room recording conditions. i assume it will pick up too much of the room. so that's very interesting.

Last edited by mc1; 03-07-2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: tpyo
Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 AM

I had the same thoughts about mid-side and the (poor) room ambience in my studio.
But actually it's the other way around. The mono mic captures the guitar directly on axis in the position where I want it to be (in an AB set up I feel that most of the time one mic has a good position and tho other is forced to be somewhere less ideal due to the set up - and if both are not ideal the sound will suffer). The direct mono mid mic gives more guitar and less room.
As for the side mic it actually only captures a signal of around 25% of the intensity of the mid mic which adds a touch of ambience and stereo depth to the signal more than the sound of the room. Quite ideal as I see it.

Regards
Per

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical