The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 PM

As others have said, if you like the sound of it, keep it. I own 10 different high quality acoustics but the one that gets the most playing time is a guitar with laminated back and sides. Why? Because I really dig the sound of it. No matter what tuning I'm in, it just makes me smile.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMing View Post
I recently purchased a Martin X-series GPCX2AE Macassar Grand Performance Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I have been taking lessons on and off for a couple of years, and was ready to move up from a beginner Yamaha cheap thing we bought for our daughter several years ago. This is just a hobby for me, but I am serious about trying to get better at my playing.

I LOVE the sound and size of it, and the big dreadnought guitars strain my right shoulder. However, I now realize the sides and back are compressed wood, and look kind of fakey. I was torn between the Martin and a Seagull Maritime at the time I purchased. I can return it, it's not too late, my price point was between $700.00 and $1000.00. Should I keep the Martin, or go back and get the Seagull or even another fingerstyle guitar within that price point. I aspire to be a really good folk accompanist so this is an investment for me....if the Martin is considered a bad purchase I'd appreciate any feedback from seasoned guitar players. Thanks.
I own three solid wood Martins, but I have no problem with their HPL guitars. They sound and play just fine. They are durable. Hard to beat.

I've thought about buying one for my son. It would be a good fit with his lifestyle.

I would buy a black one, just to get away from the fake wood look.

opencee

Old 11-17-2017, 03:19 PM

If you like the sound and the way it plays. Look for a smaller X series by Martin. I have a 000X1 and a 00LX1AE. Both sound great for a guitar that costs less than 1K.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 PM

First of all welcome aboard. Next as a professional musician, I can say that there will always be something that you like the looks of, name of, shape of...... better than what you have. What you have purchased, you "love the sound and size of". People spend thousands of dollars on too many instruments looking for exactly that. Ed Sheeran, who is arguably the hottest singer-songwriter guitar player today, uses guitars that are of the same wood and materials as yours. Congratulations on your new guitar, whether you keep it or not.

Even with all that, you will be the decider of what moves you. I would keep it since you love the sound and size. I agree with all the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
"I Love the sound and size of it" that pretty much sums it up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Josh: First of all, welcome to Acoustic Guitar Forum. If you love the sound and size of the guitar ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Hey and welcome!..But to me sound and playability outweigh looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
...If the sound and feel is great, and what you want, keep it. Yes, there are other guitars out there in the same price range that have other features....but there will always be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
If you like it, keep it and enjoy it and have fun learning to play. ....
Old 11-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Thank u!! Each time I play it I like it more and more!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 AM

See your getting used to it. That Formica is becoming
less of an issue to you. Welcome to the world
of GAS(guitar acquisition syndrome).
My advise would be to get it over with and
buy another one. This guitar will only depreciate.
It will never be a pre- war d28. Meaning that
Over time it wont increase in price. Not sure where
you live but if you have access to used instruments
I would make it a quest to play as many
As possible until you find one that "speaks" to you.
Most folks don't abuse guitars. Buying used you can
Get a guitar that has aged (which is a good thing sound wise)
And has opened up. and is usually less money than new . Then you can buy this new to you guitar and sell your old new to you hpl guitar.
It's an evil trap of a hole to throw your money into..😈 Ha
Good luck in whatever you decide..
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 AM

If you were outside the return period, I'd say hang on to it and enjoy it if you like the sound. But since you can still return it, and you're not 100 percent in love with it (I agree that aesthetics are important too), I would return it if it were me. You can get an excellent all-solid guitar in that price range that will sound as good if not better.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like you are already unhappy with it. I would return it.

I can't stand those HPL bodies, myself.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I own a couple of really nice American made solid wood acoustics but 9 times out of 10 I grab my fake wood X series Martin 000X1AE to play gigs. I actually like it so much I bought another one just like it a couple weeks ago to use as a backup / alternate. These are also the guitars I pick up most of the time to play around the house because I love the sound and the way they fit me. You like the guitar aside from the wood snob factor, so my advice is to keep it and play it. You'll buy something else in a year or two anyway (we all do), that X series Martin will be great to keep around as the guitar you take camping, or to open mics, etc.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM

Sound and playability are paramount. It is an instrument and designed to make music. However, I can speak from experience about lingering distaste for a guitar because of "issues".

I had some problems with a higher end guitar from a major brand name and they adamantly refused honor the warranty, blaming it on poor humidity care. (I lived in Alaska at that time so they considered warranty denial as "automatic" just on that basis). I paid over $400 for repairs that should have been covered under warranty because they were really manufacturing issues. I never really got over the hard feelings, played the guitar a lot less, and eventually sold it last summer after 27 years of ownership. And it still looked to be in nearly new condition on the day it sold -- I take good care of my instruments. What you don't like about it really won't fade away, either quickly or at all. To this day, I will never buy another guitar by that manufacturer, and I have talked at least 20 other players out of buying that brand over the years (if they asked me). Some people can get past it, but I could not. I simply expected better of them, and was shut down, in no uncertain terms.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
If you were outside the return period, I'd say hang on to it and enjoy it if you like the sound. But since you can still return it, and you're not 100 percent in love with it (I agree that aesthetics are important too), I would return it if it were me. You can get an excellent all-solid guitar in that price range that will sound as good if not better.
I agree with AgentKooper. Bring it back and if you're willing to spend up to $1000, you'll will find some great all-solid wood guitars out there, both new and used. My opinion is you're paying for the name on the headstock and can do much better.

I gave up a Maritn D-28 and got an even trade for a much better sounding (IMO) and constructed guitar that doesn't have one of the "big three" names on it. It's not surprising to me to see so many Martins in the AGF classifieds, many being fairly new.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

Last edited by _zedagive; 11-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:44 PM

You said this:
Quote:
I LOVE the sound and size of it
That's what matters! There are definite advantages to HPL. You don't have to get all hung up about humidification, which is a big thing. And that guitar is probably very lightweight and easy to play. These are major pluses for someone who is wanting to get serious about playing guitar. You can leave that guitar out on a stand with impunity, and grab it whenever the impulse strikes you.

FWIW, a while back when I wanted to start playing guitar again I went to Guitar Center with this list of wants: a small guitar that had low action, wasn't junky, sounded nice, and could travel back and forth in the overhead bin of a plane, from my house in the arid mountains to my son's house in humid Florida. They sold me a Little Martin, made of HPL. I'll always think of that guitar fondly because it did all the things I asked of it, and was so easy to play and to care for, it got me back to guitar after a 30 year hiatus. 2.5 years later, I'm still playing. I've accumulated other guitars, and my granddaughter has the LXM now, but I am grateful to the guys at GC for steering me toward a very good choice for a low investment.

My advice is to not get all hung up about from what the guitar is made. There will be other guitars in your future; give yourself a chance to refine your tastes.

You bought a quality guitar. Enjoy it and play the heck out of it!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-19-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
You said this:

That's what matters! There are definite advantages to HPL. You don't have to get all hung up about humidification, which is a big thing.
Be advised that this guitar does have a solid sapele top.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-19-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
First of all I would say that I actually really like the guitar the OP bought...

...The GPCX2AE sells for $699 (MAP), and doesn't even come with a case. For another $60 you can buy either a 000RS1 or GPRS1. These are made in the same Martin factory, but are all solid wood, and come with a decent hard case.

First off, welcome to the AGF. Sound wise, the guitar you have is very good. And you have already stated that you like its sound and size. So that's a plus. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the x series Martins, and yes this model does have a solid sapele top, another plus.

AZLiberty makes a good point about the road series Martins. They are all solid wood. The 000RS1 is all sapele. It will look similar, but probably better, than yours. The tone should be comparable. And it has electronics and a case for a very reasonable price. If you can play one, it is worth a look.

Good Luck!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 11-20-2017, 04:11 AM

Default NO Body

Nobody raised an eye when Ovation made Helicopter Kevlar ( ? or whatever material - round backed guitars quite a while back , but Martin R&D d the HPL . I dont mind it a bit . I have 2 and they are 2 of the best guitars I've had out of about 50- 60 over the years .. many costing thousands that were more problems than ever .. in one way or another . the HPL s are simple designs that work I love mine . 2 DREADS Will only play dreads, dont like other weaker sounds .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion