The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 01:31 PM

Dotty... You're such a good mom. But you cannot buy an instrument for someone who is an experienced player. He must choose the guitar for himself. It must fit ergonomically and he must be able to bond with it. While your thoughts are extremely gracious, a gift like this shouldn't be a surprise or chosen by anyone other than the player himself.

Having said that, that leaves an opportunity for him to select a pre-owned instrument which will put him into a much higher class of acoustic if he chooses. Either way, he'll pick one he loves and cherish it forever. JMO

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Hi Dotty; it's a real shame that you don't want anything from overseas. For what you want to spend you won't find a new US-built guitar, and imports will offer you so much more for your cash. The Taylor GS Mini, by the way, is built in Mexico.

Yamaha are highly respected for build quality, great tone and have been played by many world class artists; James Taylor, Paul Simon, John Denver etc, etc. I recommend the Yamaha LL6 which includes a case in the price. It's a proper, 'grown up', instrument: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZOIiASyR_8
Best wishes for your good health.
I have to agree with my friend Andrew, there are some very fine instruments coming out of the far east now at very competitive prices.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
Hello
New here and not a guitar player. I'm a desperate clueless mom and need some help. I want to buy a gift for my son. He's been playing 10yrs but mostly electric. My budget is $600ish
Dotty
Eastman E60M. It's made with superb materials: solid top, solid back (Sitka over Mahogany), ebony fretboard, bone nut and saddle, and it's even short scale, 24.9," which will make electric players happier. These guitars are crazy cheap for what you get. These guitars have a really good sound to them and are made extremely well. I see one on Reverb for $595. Perfect.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Thank you all so much for your kindness and input! You don't know how much it's appreciated. Looking at all the options. We're rural so no stores or cl. Thank you all. <3
Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Please don't rule out Asian made instruments. The first guitar I thought of for your son was an Eastman E6OM. I think that if you get in touch with Ted at LA Guitar Sales, you could end up with a great guitar for your son.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Default no dreadnought

Dotty, you mentioned he wasn't a big guy so I don't think you should buy him a Dreadnought size guitar. A lot of people suggested dreadnoughts, but they are big and uncomfortable often even to guys who are bigger so you should take those off the list especially since you say it's for a secondary guitar to just have fun with, we often call those couch guitars, and dreadnoughts are no fun for the couch.

So far I believe the best suggestions for you have been the:

Martin Road Series 000RS1 and the Martin Dreadnought Jr.

The Martin 000RS1 is much better sounding while the Martin Dreadnought Jr. is smaller and more of a fun couch guitar. If you want a better instrument, something he could even use at his gigs, get the Martin 000RS1, if it's more for just fun get the Martin Dreadnought Jr.

Although, the Martin 000RS1 could also be used as a fun couch guitar as well and is better sounding. I believe you should be able to get the Martin 000RS1 for $650 or less if you talk to the support people at the online guitar retailers.

Choice 1: I would go with the Martin Road Series 000RS1
Choice 2: Martin Dreadnought Jr.

And if you don't mind Japanese. Someone recommended the Yamaha LS6.
It's a very good quality guitar for the price.

Jim
Old 11-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Please don't rule out Asian made instruments. The first guitar I thought of for your son was an Eastman E6OM.
Yup, this is what I said too.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy D View Post
Dotty, you mentioned he wasn't a big guy so I don't think you should buy him a Dreadnought size guitar. A lot of people suggested dreadnoughts, but they are big and uncomfortable often even to guys who are bigger so you should take those off the list
I really don't want to be overly contrary because I think you're partially right. But I'm replying because that's exactly the point, you're only partially right. Dreadnoughts hurt my right shoulder, but I have a bad right shoulder. I've seen women of small stature playing jumbos and dreadnoughts while looking pretty comfortable doing it. So I don't think anyone should make a blanket statement that a smaller guy shouldn't play a dread. Some dreads are not as deep as others too, and those won't pull on the shoulder nearly as much. It also matters how you position the guitar while playing. A person with even short arms should have no trouble picking and strumming one. My father bought me a dread-sized guitar when I was 11. It was horrible, I hated that guitar after a while, but I had no trouble reaching everything I needed to reach.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:49 AM

Thank you all so very much! What an awesome and kind community! <3
Watching for good deals on the suggested guitars, and have sent some inquiries.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 AM

Dotty, you might want to check the used section at Guitar Centre. There are often some great deals there and you can call and have your questions answered about each individual guitar.

If you absolutely have to go with a North American made guitar, then the Seagull or Simon & Patrick are a very good choice for your budget but I would personally go with a Martin DX1.

If you want a better guitar though, for the same money, an Alvarez or Eastman will give you so much more for your money.

PS: I hope you find some relief for your health issues. And I am sure you are not clueless, not even close.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Hello
New here and not a guitar player. I'm a desperate clueless mom and need some help. I want to buy a gift for my son. He's been playing 10yrs but mostly electric. My budget is $600ish (yes I know it's low but it's what I have). Must be new as I am too ill to go shopping for used etc. He's a small person and plays blues/Americana occasionally plays live at bars/open mics.
Would a Taylor Mini SG mahogany be a good choice? Or perhaps something from the Seagull line-entourage mini jumbo, s6 etc? I know nothing about guitars and don't have much time to decide so I'm asking you fine folks to lend your input and help. Nothing made over seas. This isn't as a primary guitar, just a little something to hopefully make him smile when he plays it. Thank you for taking the time to read!
Best,
Dotty

You’ve already received so much wonderful advice. In that price range I think Seagull (or any Godin brand) is the main non over seas choices. I also think you could mind an old Guild that was made in the USA. I know it’s hard with gifts, but taking him to play some before buying would go a long ways. A guitar is something personal, and he needs to bond with it and it has to feel right.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Hello
New here and not a guitar player. I'm a desperate clueless mom and need some help. I want to buy a gift for my son. He's been playing 10yrs but mostly electric. My budget is $600ish (yes I know it's low but it's what I have). Must be new as I am too ill to go shopping for used etc. He's a small person and plays blues/Americana occasionally plays live at bars/open mics.
Would a Taylor Mini SG mahogany be a good choice? Or perhaps something from the Seagull line-entourage mini jumbo, s6 etc? I know nothing about guitars and don't have much time to decide so I'm asking you fine folks to lend your input and help. Nothing made over seas. This isn't as a primary guitar, just a little something to hopefully make him smile when he plays it. Thank you for taking the time to read!
Best,
Dotty
I am a mom and I play. And I have been too sick to shop. I get it.

Overseas guitars are made very very well for the price point. You won't regret buying one. Some manufacturers supervise the production closely and care about the workers.
I have a Taylor GS Mini Koa and I have ALWAYS regretted not getting the mahogany. It is EXCELLENT. And can be plugged in.
Look at Alvarez Blues line. I have the Blues51 and love it. They have an Americana sound. Husband has the Delta Delite (smaller) and it has huge sound for a small guitar.

Buy from a company that offers free shipping and no hassle returns.

Good luck. Your son has a great mom.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM

Guitar center had a Seagull maritime sws solid mahogany and spruce with electronics for $399.
Better than the entourage rustic mini jumbo for same price?
And thank you all so much for helping!!! Such great advice!
Old 11-19-2017, 09:36 AM

I think that was a temporary deal but I have to chuckle at the strides you've made since your original post.

Soon you'll be mastering the Martin vs. Taylor topic.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Not a good idea to buy used online, you can't check the saddle height, among other things. You can't go wrong with a Seagull or Yamaha at or around your $600 price point. I've played a few Seagull Maritime dreads and really liked them.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion