The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Blue Chip Lovers: TP or TPR?

Howdy, Folks:

As a player, I'm always interested in trying new things. I've recently become aware that the BC TP models have become very popular with players, maybe the next most popular models after the CT-55 and TD teardrops and TAD triangles.

If you've played the TP or the TPR, or both, would love to hear which one you prefer, and why.

For the record, not really interested in the the TP1R, which seems a little too strange for me, even as strange as I am.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-14-2017, 01:31 PM

kinda curious myself -am interested someday in getting a blue chip .
Old 11-14-2017, 01:31 PM

I'm sure the waste involved would be cost-prohibitive, but I'd love to try a bchip-material pick thick enough at the top for a thumb dimple but with the regular 50/60 beveled tip.

Sorry, this isn't related to your question. But, it is a 'new' thing?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM

I have a TP1R 50, so I can speak to the rounded and sharp points. It has become my favorite pick. Perfect size for me, bigger than a TD but smaller than a TAD. I far prefer the points. The rounded bit sounds a bit less defined to me, almost muffled. I think I'm going to ask Mrs. Claus for a TP 50 this year for a spare.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM

I have a TP-80 1R, which has one "R" tip and two regular tips. I never use the "R" tip. It has a good, full sound, but seems to have a rubbing release on the string which gives it a scratchy pick noise. It could just be my style. The regular tips are noticeably brighter, which would not be my preference except for the cleaner release.

My favorite Blue Chip is the CT-55. Unfortunately after about 8 years or so of nearly constant use, I seem to have misplaced it. Although I am confident it will turn up, my birthday is a few days away and a little bird told me that a replacement might be on the way.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I opted for the TP-1R (40) with the speed bevel. When I first got it, it seemed REALLY thick, and I had been playing heavy Gibson teardrop picks for decades... funny thing is, now I feel that a 60 would suit me better!

I like the pick a lot; it is confounding to me that it sounds REALLY good with some guitars and not so much with others (talking acoustic guitars, not electrics), and a different set/brand of strings can also shift how it sounds - at least to my ears.

I liked the idea of having two points to use when I wanted, thinking that the one without the speed bevel would be useful. Now I wish I had them cut a speed bevel on both of the pointed ends.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM

I also have a TP-1R and use it as a template when shaping triangle picks. I do a "TP-2R" where I round two tips to different profiles to use with the original point. Gives a three way tone control and is very useful when switching from guitar to mandolin as I can just rotate the pick to get the preferred rounded point.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 PM

I was playing a TAD45 but now am really liking the TPR50. Just feels and sounds better to me.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM

I own 3 BC’c and they’re just too soft for my taste on acoustic. Not enough snap to them.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I have both and think there is very little difference between TP and TPR picks. They are virtually the same size, but the rounded edges on the TPR makes that pick feel like it plays a bit shorter, smoother and faster. I have a slight preference for the TPR. I typically play and prefer TAD picks.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I prefer the TP all the way. I own several. They are the perfect size.

I also have 1 TP1R. Every now and then I’ll accidentally play on the R corner and immediately shift back the other corner.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 AM

My thoughts based on experience from a couple different picks. I have a BC TAD 50. My understanding is that the TP is a slightly smaller version of the TAD. I also have several acrylic Gravity Picks of different shapes and sizes. For comparison, the BC TP is about the same size as a Gravity Standard size pick.

I really like the point shape on the TAD. It works well at almost everything. However, I have a Gravity Tripp pick that has three different points. One point is similar to the TAD, one is rounded like the round point on the TPR, and the last seems a bit more pointed than the TAD. I like the rounded tip on the Tripp for some strumming songs as it gives a nice full, rounded out sound. However, that tip loses a bit of zip with single note picking. I prefer the more pointed tips for that.

As the OP mentioned, the TP1R seems odd but I'm thinking I'd like to try one for it's variety. Actually, I wish BC made and STP1R. The STP is a little smaller still than the TP. It corresponds to the Gravity Pick Big Mini size which I find myself leaning towards using more and more. With Christmas coming up, I'm thinking of trying an BC STP versus a gold series Gravity Pick Tripp Big Mini.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I have both and think there is very little difference between TP and TPR picks. They are virtually the same size, but the rounded edges on the TPR makes that pick feel like it plays a bit shorter, smoother and faster. I have a slight preference for the TPR. I typically play and prefer TAD picks.
Has, do you find the more rounded tips on the "R" model would be better for mando playing (and I'm not even sure you play mando)?

thanks!
scott memmer
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Has, do you find the more rounded tips on the "R" model would be better for mando playing (and I'm not even sure you play mando)?

thanks!
scott memmer
I don’t play mando, so I can’t answer. One other thing about the R model worth mentioning. I find the tone is slightly less sharp, a bit softer/more muted. That characteristic is undesirable at times, yet more desirable at other times - and this quality is more/less welcome with some guitars IMO.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 PM

I play mandolin with a CT 55 and flatpick with a TP1R. I never play using the rounded edges, but I find that the rounded point on my finger lets the pick roll, and I can make small adjustments to the angle of the flatpick. When I play mandolin, the CT sort of embeds into my finger, which is fine because I don't change pick angle and angle of attack much when playing mandolin. But when flatpicking, cross picking and strumming the guitar, I am constantly changing the angle of attack, and the rounded edge helps me with that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion