The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Will throw Rockbridge Guitars http://rockbridgeguitar.com/index.html into the mix. They're made right here in Charlottesville and do some nice inlay....

Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Then what did he suggest? I don't see how his post can be interpreted any differently:

I disagree with Juston's point about playability--it's easy to get exceptional playability out of a $2k Taylor. But tonally? It's hard to disagree, even though I'd add "probably" to the statement.

Maybe he'll clarify. Or maybe we'll just drop it and let OP decide how he wants to proceed.
Alright, alright...

We're all here just to discuss music toys and have a good time. No animals were hurt and our suggestions are non-binding for the OP...

Here's my stance on the topic.

In terms of tone, it's all personal preference. I would never tell anyone that a guitar sounds better than another. However I may explain why I prefer a certain guitar over another -- and in what context it applies.

When it comes to fit/finish/playability, I agree that Taylors are great in that area (it's actually the brand's forte) but I also think that it's the number one issue for the less experienced/reputed custom builders.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
What? I am baffled by this one. Inlay is inlay?
Maybe you could answer the question directly . I did ask one .
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Maybe you could answer the question directly . I did ask one .
With all due respects, he has, he wants his son's name and birth date inlaid on the guitar.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM

I think the point trying to be made is "IF" the customization is solely related to inlay, you theoretically could get a new/used non-custom instrument and then get the inlay installed. And the unanswered (unless I missed it) inquiries were if the features the OP is looking for extend beyond merely inlay work.

However, the OP has made it clear he is looking for a new, custom instrument so the answer to the above questions is kind of irrelevant. And I totally get where the OP is coming from.

Earlier this year I had a custom flamenco negra made from a luthier modelled after my Dad's original guitar after he passed away. Besides being a similar appearance (which I could have found off-the-shelf), the only other personalization was memorial label inside the guitar. I technically could have bought an off the shelf guitar (cheaper) that had the look and just pasted the label in, but that definitely wouldn't be nearly as special to me. The inlay the OP is looking for is essentially just a more "involved" label being applied.

Later
Rob
Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Stated goals? I don't think you read what my goals are. But thanks for the advice

Again, a used guitar is not an option unless you can find one for me with the exact specs i want including my sons name and birthday inlayed on it - it may exist out there who knows.
Let me know his name and DOB and I will take a look.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
With all due respects, he has, he wants his son's name and birth date inlaid on the guitar.
As I read it , he wanted a design feature and a custom inlay .

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-14-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Rule number 1
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 PM

I think the OP has gotten the info he wanted and for some reason apparently we are unable to discuss this issue without animosity. Thread closed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop