The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Default How long for nitro to cure?

I've just been reading the thread about suction cups and nitro finishes and it was mentioned that nitro finish needs time to cure but no mention of how long this takes beyond some vague references about "longer than you may think."

So my question is, how long does it take for nitrocellulose to fully cure?

Thanks,
PJ
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Nitro

Part of the problem is that the platicizers in the suction cup will outgas and will soften or damage the finish over time.

It might be slight and take a while, but you'll see lots of comments about suction cups and rubber feet leaving marks on guitar finishes.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Maybe 30 years, maybe longer. It never really fully cures. After a month or so it is cured enough to polish out.
et al
Old 11-10-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Part of the problem is that the platicizers in the suction cup will outgas and will soften or damage the finish over time.

It might be slight and take a while, but you'll see lots of comments about suction cups and rubber feet leaving marks on guitar finishes.
The plasticizers will migrate into the nitro and soften it if there is direct contact. How long that takes depends...
et al
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

It depends on too many factors.

How heavy is the finish layer? What is the temperature and humidity? etc.

Generally speaking, in ideal conditions, I use :

It will be stable enough for sanding and a next layer in 12-48 hours.

It can be cured enough for polishing in 4-7 days.

Fully cured can take 2-4 weeks.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-10-2017, 03:19 PM

I purchased a slightly used 2005 Guild D-55 when it was about 4 years old. The guitar was used for about 4 months and then cased for the remainder of it's life with the original owner. It still had the original set of strings on it and also the plastic sheet to protect the pick guard.

When I got the guitar, the neck felt sticky.
I cleaned it and it still had the sticky feeling.
It appeared that the lacquer was still soft.

After playing the guitar for several months, the neck started to fill like it was less sticky.
After a couple of years, it felt like it should.
This leaves me to think that if the guitar isn't exposed to open air, it may take longer for the lacquer to dry enough as to not feel sticky.

So for my my guitar, it took several years for the finish to cure.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:40 PM

As for suction cups, it has been mentioned before on this forum that the primary issue is how long they are left on the guitar. Leaving anything other than your case in contact with a guitar finish for a long period of time is never advisable and plastic is one of the worst materials.

I’ve been using the neck-up support system for quite a while on many different guitars with nitro finishes. It utilizes suction cups. I don’t know if those cups are made of something special that won’t react with the nitro, but I’ve never had an issue with those suction cups reacting with a nitro finish but they are never in contact for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time.

Curing - My understanding is that there is a difference between curing and drying. Everything I’ve read indicates nitrocellulose lacquer doesn’t really “cure”, it dries. Nitrocellulose lacquer can be re-dissolved (if that is a word?) so I have always been told it is never “cured.”
Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I purchased a slightly used 2005 Guild D-55 when it was about 4 years old. The guitar was used for about 4 months and then cased for the remainder of it's life with the original owner. It still had the original set of strings on it and also the plastic sheet to protect the pick guard.

When I got the guitar, the neck felt sticky.
I cleaned it and it still had the sticky feeling.
It appeared that the lacquer was still soft.

After playing the guitar for several months, the neck started to fill like it was less sticky.
After a couple of years, it felt like it should.
This leaves me to think that if the guitar isn't exposed to open air, it may take longer for the lacquer to dry enough as to not feel sticky.

So for my my guitar, it took several years for the finish to cure.

So perhaps I need to keep my J15 out of the case for a lot of the time...
(I have been known to leave her out for a few hours a day when I'm playing/practicing.)

PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair