The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Found something I don't like about my X7

The front strap button - too rounded. I'm used to the Planet Waves solid brass offerings that have more pronounced edges and a deeper slot. I use a fairly thick leather strap (Levi) and I have been using the PW (D'Addario now) strap buttons on all my guitars. Just swapped over to one of those. I did have to use a thin felt washer to get the fit to work as it's a little narrower in height from the stock Emerald button and the nut holding it on the inside is a cap nut. But it works great. I had a black one laying around (packs of two, you know) so was all set. Will definitely throw one on the X20 when it comes in.

Anothing thing I'm not digging although it's on me is my standard Elixir 80/20 HD Lights. The X7 ships with D'Addario EXP19 PB mediums which sounded good but I swapped them out after a week just to see what my tried and true sound like. For the first time ever the brightness of the Elixir 80/20 was too much. Also, after getting a little used to the feel of the EXP's the Elixirs felt a little too slippery at first. So I might just go back to the EXP's but whatever I use will be mediums. The uber-short scale of the X7 really needs a medium gage string. The lights are just too floppy.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 PM

These are the acorn/football shaped strap buttons?

If so, I do like them. Put one on my Martin D-35.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I had really good luck with the Mangan lights, but I think I need to try some mediums. Just thinking out loud....thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:11 PM

My X7 came with EXP 80/20's (according to the enclosed tag). I think they are mediums.

Does sound a little brassy to my ear, will put my usual Martin medium PB's on it after I've got my money's worth out of 'em.

I will probably try a set of Tony Rice monels on it at some point. Got another set here and am not mad about them on my Martin dread, but it's rosewood and people say they are better on hog, (I think carbon may be the new mahogany )
Old 09-30-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I have been using Elixir PB Nanoweb HD Light strings on my X7, and have been very pleased with the sound, playability, and longevity. I put a set of those on before we left on this last trip (103 days), played almost every day, and still have that same set on... and they continue to sound good.

What I seem to notice as the "it's time for a change" is the high-e starts sounding "twangy."

I picked up some strings at Sweetwater's GearFest in June; several sets of my favorite Elixirs, and a set of Martin Lifespans that I will try on one of the Emeralds.

I use a Levy leather/woven strap and haven't had any issues with it staying in place on the front button and the bottom pin/jack.

Since we're trying to find something we don't like about the X7, my only "con" for this sweet guitar is something that is a function of keeping it compact in overall length: the tuning pegs are close together. Not so close that I can't get in there with my Planet Waves string winder (haven't tried it yet with the power winder I bought at the same time as the aforementioned strings - they had a hot deal), but my chubby fingers have to be nimble. The design works great, though. Really, a non-issue, but the only "con" I could come up with.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:39 PM

I've got a set of those Elixir HD lights on my Taylor 312 , I have said in the past that I don't like Elixirs, but will happily eat my wurdz,
they are really nice on that guitar and last for a looong time.

Coincidentally I got those strings from the guy I bought my first X7 from.
He included tham as a little lagniappe* with the sale, but I never put them on the X7. (I think it should have mediums, like the GSMini)

*Thanks Jim.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I commented in my NGD about the tuners being a little on the tight side due to the compact headstock. You'll be happy to know that I was able to get my power winder to work with no issues.

The shortcomings of the LR Baggs Element VTC system are showing up in my playing in long sessions or playing outside in cold weather in that the inevitable twangs and buzzes of poor fretting due to fatigue and/or cold/numb fingers is amplified significantly.

Note this is a general UST shortcoming and not just an LR Baggs Element issue. It's one of the reasons I prefer SBT pickup systems like the K&K or other. Those little string buzzes are more forgiving or at the very least much less prominent than with UST. Less quack for sure!

Still a terrific guitar. I wonder if I can get Emerald to retrofit a K&K... hmmm...
Old 09-30-2017, 08:52 PM

I agree with Captain Jim, Elixir phosphor bronze lights with nanoweb sound great on my X7. PB lights have just a bit more tension than 80-20s, and I think that makes a difference.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:04 PM

I see an X7 in my future. . I'm just tuning in.

I will say that in my experience, I lean toward the feel of EXP 80/20s vs Elixir 80/20s (which seem a little too 'slick' to me).

But I reserve comment on their suitability to the X7, until X7 personal experience kicks in.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:02 AM

For me, PB or even less bright strings (e.g., nickle wound) work well with the X7. It just depends on the sound you most want to hear coming from the guitar.

For an opposite example--Journey. I try to find the brightest sounding strings available and change more frequently because brightness fades quickly.

Very different sounding guitars but I like both of the different types of sound.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
For me, PB or even less bright strings (e.g., nickle wound) work well with the X7. It just depends on the sound you most want to hear coming from the guitar.

For an opposite example--Journey. I try to find the brightest sounding strings available and change more frequently because brightness fades quickly.

Very different sounding guitars but I like both of the different types of sound.
I can confirm this opinion. I've had and X7 and Journey OF660 side-by-side for a couple weeks now and the Journey is MUCH darker sounding. The Journey sounded great with Elixir 80/20 HD Lights. The X7 not so much.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
My X7 came with EXP 80/20's (according to the enclosed tag). I think they are mediums.

Does sound a little brassy to my ear, will put my usual Martin medium PB's on it after I've got my money's worth out of 'em.

I will probably try a set of Tony Rice monels on it at some point. Got another set here and am not mad about them on my Martin dread, but it's rosewood and people say they are better on hog, (I think carbon may be the new mahogany )
My X7 also came from the factory with D'Addario 80/20's. Wasn't sure what what gauge so I mic'd them and got .012-.0525. They don't appear coated, so I figure they're EJ-11's.

If you put mediums on it, I'd be interested to know if the slots are cut big enough and how that might affect the play-ability. With the light strings it's pretty easy on the fingers.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
My X7 also came from the factory with D'Addario 80/20's. Wasn't sure what what gauge so I mic'd them and got .012-.0525. They don't appear coated, so I figure they're EJ-11's.

If you put mediums on it, I'd be interested to know if the slots are cut big enough and how that might affect the play-ability. With the light strings it's pretty easy on the fingers.
I emailed Sean and he said my X7 shipped with D'Addario EXP19 Coated Phosphor Bronze, Light Top/Medium Bottom/Bluegrass, 12-56.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post

I don’t need to change strings just yet. I’ll post if I find anything of interest when I do.
I wouldn’t imagine it will feel particularly hard to play mediums on a 24” scale, I’ve got ‘em on 25.1/2 scale guitars and I like them.
I’ve got a GS Mini and IMO that one really needs mediums, perhaps not if you don’t care about max available volume, but I also think it’s a little too “floppy” feeling with lights, less responsive, less “zingy” (maybe?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I emailed Sean and he said my X7 shipped with D'Addario EXP19 Coated Phosphor Bronze, Light Top/Medium Bottom/Bluegrass, 12-56.
Ah ha ! that sounds like prolly the same ones on mine.
The fat E looks like the ones on guitars I know have mediums. The skinny strings are pretty hard to judge by eye.

Last edited by Long Jon; 10-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Ah ha ! that sounds like prolly the same ones on mine.
The fat E looks like the ones on guitars I know have mediums. The skinny strings are pretty hard to judge by eye.
I couldn't find those anywhere when I decided to go back to them on my X7 so I just went with the regular PB mediums which I think were EXP12's. Or maybe EXP17's... Can't remember.

One odd thing I noticed with them though that I didn't notice with the first set of the EXP19's was an annoying little squeak on the G string from my thumb due to the rough texture of the string as compared to the Elixirs. Fortunately it does not translate to amplified sound or I would have to change them yet again and that would be three sets of basically brand new strings I replaced in less than a week!

I plan to leave these ones on to see how long they last (again, compared to the Elixirs) and then on the next set if I get that far I might try some Elixir PB mediums. We'll see. I'm getting very used to the 'bite' of the D'Addarios and the Elixirs now seem too slippery to me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber