The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Dave... thanks for the info on the gig bag. The Access Stage 1 gig bag sounds like just what I need for travel in the motorhome. I may only very rarely use the hard shell case, but I'm glad to have it for those rare occasions.
Be sure to get some type of neck support if you get the Stage 1 gig bag. I have one that has been used to travel with the Shorty by boat and RV, and it is a great fit. Just know that the Stage 1 does not have a neck support.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Be sure to get some type of neck support if you get the Stage 1 gig bag. I have one that has been used to travel with the Shorty by boat and RV, and it is a great fit. Just know that the Stage 1 does not have a neck support.
Perhaps adding several layers of foam, lengthwise, underneath the neck would suffice?

Or, perhaps, there's another gig bag out there that offers good neck support?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Congrats on the new CF guitar! Is that top uni-directional? I had the Rainsong APLE Shorty which has (I believe) the same body and neck (OM body, 12 fret neck) and I loved it. And the tone was very good with the uni-directional fiber top. Rainsong makes great guitars. I would definitely own one again.

I love having a CF guitar. I currently have the little Journey Overhead OF660 and it's just so nice having something that you can take literally anywhere and not worry about it.
Methos... yes, the top is unidirectional and the tone is really good. The strength of carbon fiber amazes me; how such a thin, responsive top is strong enough for such a demanding job, without any bracing needed!

The RainSong APLE Shorty that you had is a really appealing instrument! I can see how you would want to have one again. I'd love to have one, as well.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Access offers an aftermarket neck support for the Stage 1 bags, includes Velcro strips w adhesive backing. I use one for my Shorty in the Stage 1 and love the affordable lightweight protection. Backpack straps are very comfortable, the front pocket holds a lot. It's a great match for the Shorty.

https://www.carryaccess.com/accessor...ding/aaegeby-1
Old 08-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Access offers an aftermarket neck support for the Stage 1 bags, includes Velcro strips w adhesive backing. I use one for my Shorty in the Stage 1 and love the affordable lightweight protection. Backpack straps are very comfortable, the front pocket holds a lot. It's a great match for the Shorty.

That is great news for those considering that bag. The customer service rep from Access fixed me up with the neck support when I bought mine, but it wasn't something readily available. Without the neck support, I have recommended the Stage 3 gig bag, but it is heavier and more expensive (and better padded). The Stage 1 is a nice lightweight gig bag.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
The clarity of these guitars is so good, I can see why many who have gone CF have resigned to not buy wood any more.
Nah, that was Sunday night when I refilled all of the in-case humidifiers for the wooden guitars - again.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post

Thanks penny, good info.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Nah, that was Sunday night when I refilled all of the in-case humidifiers for the wooden guitars - again.
AZ... if you have an available walk-in closet (I have one off of my music room), it's really easy and inexpensive to maintain humidity in a smallish space like that with a portable, room-size humidifier. If you do that, the guitars can sit out of the cases on stands in the closet - easy to grab for a playing session. And no in-case humidifiers or sound hole humidifiers to constantly refill. I refill the room humidifier (holds about 1 gallon) in my guitar closet once every two to three weeks or so. And maintain a humidity (the humidifier is on a timer that turns it on for 4 to 6 times a day, about 15 minutes each) of about 38-40%. Works a charm. (For the wood guitars, of course!)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
AZ... if you have an available walk-in closet (I have one off of my music room), it's really easy and inexpensive to maintain humidity in a smallish space like that with a portable, room-size humidifier. If you do that, the guitars can sit out of the cases on stands in the closet - easy to grab for a playing session. And no in-case humidifiers or sound hole humidifiers to constantly refill. I refill the humidifier (holds about. gallon) in my guitar closet once every three weeks or so. And maintain a humidity (the humidifier is on a timer that turns it on for 4 to 6 times a day, about 15 minutes each) of about 38-40%. Works a charm. (For the wood guitars, of course!)
Absolutely true! What's missing though, is always having their visual woody beauty on display and within arm's reach such as is a reality with composite guitars making them even more inticing to pick up and play. At least, this is how it is for me. I still loves me some fine wood guitars though. More recently, that wood is also infused to carbon fiber.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Absolutely true! What's missing though, is always having their visual woody beauty on display and within arm's reach such as is a reality with composite guitars making them even more inticing to pick up and play. At least, this is how it is for me. I still loves me some fine wood guitars though. More recently, that wood is also infused to carbon fiber.
Yes, being able to have a guitar out at all times, to look at and to be able to pick up with ease is a very nice thing. I can do that now with my RainSong.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:11 AM

I own a Rainsong Shorty and travel with it confidently through Southeastern Queensland; no extreme weather changes cause the guitar to hiccup. I plug in the first-rate Baggs pickup in auditoriums and classrooms year-round and find the guitar ready to perform. I chose the matte finish, too. The reflections don't blind folks in the front row of the audience. No issues with CITES tone-woods, either; CF guitars are sustainable!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Jim, thanks for adding this, I too have the neck support but kind of forgot it was separate. Just ask Access, they have them and can throw one in last I heard.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 AM

I checked out the RS Shorty at Elderly last month. I had never played a CF guitar before and of the models on hand, the Shorty was my favorite. Well balanced, good clarity and modest overtones. Easy to play and attractive to look at.

Congratulations!

Some years ago, I bought a Travelite Case from Stew Mac. Its a soft sided structural foam case with a laptop pocket and backstraps that I used with my OM sized travel guitar (a Blueridge BR-43). See if you can find one. They provide plenty of protection and are convenient to travel with.

Exactly like this one dreadnaught sized one. Look for the OM/000/Classical sized one (GPCC5550B):
https://www.amazon.com/Stage-GPCA555...GZET4JVHJKY332

This is the OM/OOO (Classical) product:
https://on-stage.com/products/view/12443/117312

And here's one for sale on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Stage-Sta...gAAOSw8w1X3ZbJ

Last edited by Blunote; 08-23-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Just to confirm... my Martin OM28-V is a lifetime guitar for me, not going anywhere. And I think my Eastman E10-OO-M, all solid, highly flamed mahogany is a lifetime keeper, as well. Along with the RainSong OM Shorty, these three acoustics will likely be all the acoustics I need for the duration.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:37 PM

If this is ok to post - I just checked American Musical where I got my gigbag and they are on sale right now for an extremely low price. If mine weren't holding up so well after 2 years, I'd be tempted to grab a spare!

http://www.americanmusic.com/Access-...ag-AB1SA1.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber