The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
They also usually have the largest selection.
The local GC here has a lot of the budget level acoustic stuff, their higher end stuff is sorely lacking.

Having said that, I've been treated very well every time I've been in there.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Never had a problem there. Sales people not generally as well informed on guitars as a real enthusiast like most of us, BUT almost always polite and low pressure, welcoming. No problem with the employees. Lots of problems with the company which has been Gordon Gekkoed.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Nice to hear that some folks have good experiences at GC!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM

While everyone is piling on the praise I have a question.

We have a store that opened locally and I went in and purchased a bass bag. They asked me if I wanted to sign up for their special deals e-mail and I said sure.

Since that time (about 2 months ago) I've gotten e-mails for a special customer coupon for a discount on a single item as a special reward for signing up. I thought, "That's nice, I'll pop in and buy a new amp."

The problem is there was fine print to note a few "exceptions" that aren't eligible for the discount. I clicked to view the manufacturers who were ineligible and found a list of 139 manufacturers; virtually any name brand I could think of.

Our "special customer relationship" has gotten off on a wrong foot. Is this how customers are hosed there?

I don't mind an honest sale once in a while, but why would they put me through a smoke and mirrors thing?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
They also usually have the largest selection.
This is highly variable.

We have 6 Guitar Centers in the Phoenix Metro area. The selection is extremely good at some, and very poor at others.

North Phoenix (Platinum store) has a very good selection. Scottsdale and Tempe likewise. Avondale and Mesa are so poor I have learned not to bother.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I've always enjoyed looking around GC and never had a bad experience, but the statement that they handed your son (I assume young) a $3,900 les Paul and walked away, is also the reason I generally don't buy guitars there. Good for people to experience things, but I always cringe at the belt buckles, zippers, buttons and snaps I see in there, lol.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
I've always enjoyed looking around GC and never had a bad experience, but the statement that they handed your son (I assume young) a $3,900 les Paul and walked away, is also the reason I generally don't buy guitars there. Good for people to experience things, but I always cringe at the belt buckles, zippers, buttons and snaps I see in there, lol.
LOL. That's funny. He's 12 and I was standing with him when they gave it to him. I would hope they would not do that if he had walked in alone. They also had my Xmas inbox. He played so many dang guitars one of the guys started bringing him different ones to try. I'm thinking of riding back over there and get that Gibson J-15 I'm GASing for.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
LOL. That's funny. He's 12 and I was standing with him when they gave it to him. I would hope they would not do that if he had walked in alone. They also had my Xmas inbox. He played so many dang guitars one of the guys started bringing him different ones to try. I'm thinking of riding back over there and get that Gibson J-15 I'm GASing for.
The J-15's are pretty nice. I had one for a while.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:59 PM

I appreciate GC's Used Guitar section on their website. GC's nationwide post used gear there.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Refreshing.

I have just never understood all the bashing.
Like, do the folks on tool forums sit around and bash Home Depot?

We play guitars and there is a store just for us, pretty cool.
Yes, they do!

I have had some terrible experiences dealing with GC. I have also had some great ones and have bought a considerable amount from them. You just have to know some ground rules going in. As far as employees, they are all usually nice, some will definitely apply sales pressure and some won't. Finding a truly knowledgable one is hard to do though. That's not to say there aren't any who know what they're talking about, but some of things I've heard from many self proclaimed "experts" who work there has left me very skeptical of any of them.

I am glad you've had good experiences with GC. They are big box, for better or worse. As far as feeling guilty, I wouldn't. I buy enough from them to justify as many empty handed trips as I need in order to make informed purchases.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:29 PM

Bridgeton, MO Guitar Center! Always great staff. The fact that I am a 56 year old beginner is not a deal to them.
GC's big problem is advertising events. When the road shows come around, they never let people know.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:21 AM

I have encountered issues with a few employees, but for the majority of GC's staff, it has been good for 35+ years. Hey, I am being honest here!

Rick
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 AM

The only time I ever had an issue, I wrote a nicely worded letter to corporate and listed all the register receipt numbers (I keep all my receipts), and explained the problem to them.

Within a couple of days, the local GC manager called me and asked what he could do to make it right and keep me as a customer. Fair enough.

Now, I have just a couple of sales guys that I deal with at GC. They're knowledgeable and honest and always treat me right.

I too walk in the door as an educated consumer and have already done my research and know what I want.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
I agree 100%. There are three GC's in the Nashville area and all the employees are nice. HOWEVER, 90% of the time I go there with money in my pocket to buy something the guitars are so beat up there's no way I would buy them.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Within past year my son and I have visited 6 different GCs. We have never run into a rude employee. We have also visited numerous other shops and I cannot say the same. Some won't let him even touch a guitar. GC has always allowed us to play what we wanted as long as we wanted with no pressure to buy. The guitars I have bought we're discounted when I asked for it. He played a $3900 Les Paul last night and the sales rep said "here, go enjoy it" and walked off.

The guys and gals are so nice to my son and treat him like he's some superstar. It's makes me feel guilty when I don't buy anything so I ways try to buy something while there. If guitar center was an amusement park, I would pay just to see my son play 20 to 30 guitars.

Sorry if this is wrong for this section but I appreciate good service and like to recognize it.

Jed
The part that is wrong is your guilt to buy something just because you're treated fairly. In America, retail has become so insulting and unprofessional, if you're not insulted or treated rudely, you feel the responsibility to buy something you don't really need or want.
I remember when going to a retail store was a joy, because not only did people remember you, they treated you like they enjoyed their job......I was kicked out of a guitar store, after the owner handed me a guitar, and his wife snatched it away, and told me to leave. i've spent about $15k on music related items, and wouldn't take a free pick from that store, the only one within 90 miles!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion