The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Sounds more balanced after saddle upgrade??
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Post NGD : Taylor GS Mini Holden Village With Upgrades!!

After reading all the reviews of the GS HV I decided to get one. Very pretty little guitar, and sounds great. I've only had the Mahogany model prior to this and as it was out of the box it is a bit brighter and thinner sounding than the mahogany version. I'm sure it'll thicken up with some play. I've made a little video review, enjoy!!! =)

I posted a poll just to see everyone's opinion on the saddle upgrade. I'm sure the nut affects sounds to a certain extent as well but i can only see that being true when playing the strings open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA3a...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-24-2014, 10:09 PM

I can't decide if I like the tone better before or after the upgrade. Both sound pretty good to me. Definitely less trebly after the upgrade. The mahogany Mini really has a smooth tone. Anyway, you have a few nice guitars!

Nice picking!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Great playing! It would be great to hear the HV again after a couple of weeks of playing. I'm not sure anyone's posted audio samples of the development of tone that a lot of us have noticed. In the Holden's I've seen, the bass tends to develop And the trebles become a little fatter in The first few weeks.
Also, beautiful grain on that Engelmann top! Kudos!
Dave Olson
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I liked the tone after the upgrades more. Nice inlays on your full size Taylor.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 PM

Funny how the Hog GS Mini sounds almost as good as the 914ce. Those minis are real tone monsters
Old 10-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
I can't decide if I like the tone better before or after the upgrade. Both sound pretty good to me. Definitely less trebly after the upgrade. The mahogany Mini really has a smooth tone. Anyway, you have a few nice guitars!

Nice picking!
Exactly what I was thinking. I'd have to sit down and play it with the upgrades in order to make my decision.

Still, I love that style of tuners. Super classy looking IMO. I may need to get some for my Mini!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

After a bit of playing I noticed the neck angle of the HV was a bit off, action could be a bit lower. Anyone else had this problem? Neck angle on my mahogany was great out of the box, just had to lower the saddle a bit. I took the HV to get the Taylor neck shim this morning. I'll be sure to play the heck out of it for the next couple weeks and post an update sound clip
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 AM

Default NGD : Taylor GS Mini Holden Village With Upgrades!!

Nice upgrades. You play very well. I like my Mini so much that it has satisfied my desire to own another high end Taylor. I've owned custom shop Taylors, Ltd Edition Models, and 600 series. My Holden Village Mini is just as good.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Voe View Post
After a bit of playing I noticed the neck angle of the HV was a bit off, action could be a bit lower. Anyone else had this problem? Neck angle on my mahogany was great out of the box, just had to lower the saddle a bit. I took the HV to get the Taylor neck shim this morning. I'll be sure to play the heck out of it for the next couple weeks and post an update sound clip
How much of a difference are you talking about? I've had mine for almost 2 months now and haven't noticed any changes.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccadude33 View Post
How much of a difference are you talking about? I've had mine for almost 2 months now and haven't noticed any changes.
The shop I took it to said it was off by about 2 degrees which was pretty bad, I don't know why it took me so long to notice, even after lowering the saddle the action was still fairly high from 4th fret and up. Just got it back today and it plays like butter, as far as low action very comparable to my 914 so it's a super joy to play. I'll snap a photo of the action once I'm home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion