The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default You Can Close Your Eyes -- JT cover

Hi All,

I made this video a while ago when I had only one video camera. I have always loved this song, even though a lot of players have covered this song so well. I never seem to sing this song the same way twice...

The guitar is my Olson SJ, cedar/EIR, strings are Martin SP 80/20 light.

Thanks so much for watching.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Guest 33123

Awesome Glenn!
Old 02-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Ditto. Very good cover.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 PM

Great cover of a beautiful JT tune...and holy cow, is that an Olson? playing some JT on an Olson...that's got to be great...
Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Awesome Glenn!
Thank you Doug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Ditto. Very good cover.
Thanks Sage! I remember listening to you sing this song a while ago -- it might be years ago. I lose track of time anymore. I remember your excellent singing on this tune, so I know you know it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryJ View Post
Great cover of a beautiful JT tune...and holy cow, is that an Olson? playing some JT on an Olson...that's got to be great...
Hi Avery -- and thank you! Yes, it is an Olson SJ, cedar/rosewood, similar to the same model that James Taylor plays, except that his are a little fancier. JT uses artificial and much longer nails than I use, so he gets a lot more brightness out of his Olsons, though on his recordings, such as "One Man Band" where you can really hear his Olson guitars, he gets that lower midrange and bass warmth that these guitars have.

I don't get quite the brightness from my Olson as JT gets because my nails are natural and much shorter. I use only 0.060 - 0.090" of white showing on my nails so that they are stiff but also have more warmth in the sound.

There is no question about my liking the sound JT gets from his guitars; I like his sound very much. But for most of what I play, I really don't want an overly bright sound. Also, with the physical work that I do around my place, there is no way I could have long nails.

Absolutely, it's a joy to be able to play any song with this Olson guitar. I feel very fortunate. Thanks for your comments Avery.

- Glenn
Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Simply awesome! What a lovely tune… I don't believe JT did it any better. And what a monster sound from that Olson. Gorgeous!

Retirement seems to be suiting you quite well…
Old 02-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Simply awesome! What a lovely tune… I don't believe JT did it any better. And what a monster sound from that Olson. Gorgeous!

Retirement seems to be suiting you quite well…
Thank you Kerbie. It is very nice to be diving into recording, and very luxurious to have the time. You know how it is to spend most of your life trying to make a living. Thanks for your comments Kerbie.

- Glenn
Old 02-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Wow. What a great cover. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM752 View Post
Wow. What a great cover. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Rich. Nice of you to comment!

- Glenn
Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thanks Sage! I remember listening to you sing this song a while ago -- it might be years ago. I lose track of time anymore. I remember your excellent singing on this tune, so I know you know it well.

- Glenn
Thank you Glenn. Funny how I often forget how to play songs after I record them. I'll have to relearn this one.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Nice cover! Your voice/singing style is so different from JT's but really works well with the song. Just a whole 'nother feel.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Nice cover! Your voice/singing style is so different from JT's but really works well with the song. Just a whole 'nother feel.
Well, thank you!

I really like James Taylor's singing and playing and his songwriting, but when I learn his songs, my approach has been to emulate his playing style (as much as I can) but to sing it as myself. So thanks; I'm really glad it works for you.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell