The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 AM

Default replacing guitar binding.

This week I came across a fire damaged acoustic guitar. It's a cheapo Epiphone DR-100 that I paid $10. for. Seems to be fairly structurally sound. With the main issues I'm interested in now being severely smoked overall, blistered finish and slightly melted binding on the lower bout. There may be others as I go on later.
What's the best method to clean severe smoke residue off a guitar?
Can the binding on an acoustic guitar be removed and replaced? The binding on the 3/4 of the guitar appears OK. Can you splice in new binding on just the damaged area? I'm not really all that concerned in a restored new appearing result. Just a reasonably presentable and playable guitar. For as cheap as it was I thought I might give a shot at trying my hand at a repair.. And hopefully learn a bit in the process. Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
. Can you splice in new binding on just the damaged area? I'm not really all that concerned in a restored new appearing result. Just a reasonably presentable and playable guitar. For as cheap as it was I thought I might give a shot at trying my hand at a repair.. And hopefully learn a bit in the process. Any advice appreciated.
Yes, repairs like you describe are not uncommon. Removing the damaged binding can be done many ways. A good sharp chisel and knife will do the trick. I use a dremel tool with a special base, or sometimes my big production router set up.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:26 AM

I use a single edge razor blade for removing binding, CAREFULLY. There is a cleaner and a separate polish, called Legend, that is a great cleaner. I used it on a guitar that had been in a fire with remarkable results. Both have no petroleum distillates.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair