The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 AM

Default pick up problem

Hi all, my ES135 has a problem with one pick up being much louder than the other, I have turn the volume down on the neck pick up or I get a surprise when flicking from the neck pick up where the volume is way down to the bridge pick up. Any thoughts on what the problem is likely to be. The obvious one would be the pick up itself, maybe the windings are on the way out. Cannot seem to find what the resistance should be.
Custom Walnut Jaguar ( under construction )
Gibson ES135
Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 AM

Has it always done this, or started recently? Other possible culprits are pickup height, a defective or worn out pot, or maybe even a bad capacitor.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 PM

have you made any changes to it lately? try lowering the louder pickup. the neck pickup is usually not as loud. if i am correct, those are probably p90 pickups. could also be a loose pickup wire attached to the pot.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Has it always done this, or started recently? Other possible culprits are pickup height, a defective or worn out pot, or maybe even a bad capacitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
have you made any changes to it lately? try lowering the louder pickup. the neck pickup is usually not as loud. if i am correct, those are probably p90 pickups. could also be a loose pickup wire attached to the pot.

play music!
Clint has a great question, is this a new problem or has it always been like this. If it's always been like this try lowering the louder pickup, as muscmp said.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 AM

when I bought it, it had a faulty toggle switch that would only spring back to the middle position and the neck pick up indeed had a broken wire. I soldered it back and it was ok, I also repaired the switch. They are P100 stacked humbuckers, not the best apparently. I will have to spend some time working on it, not the easiest guitar to work on being hollow bodied and having no removable panels. I will inspect the pick up wiring first and then switch the wires on the toggle to eliminate the volume/tone controls as a problem.
Gibson ES135
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 AM

If you have a multimeter, you can test each part of the harness individually once you have it out of the guitar. According to the Gibson forums, P-100R's should read around 6.1k, P-100T's between 9.4 and 16k. Significantly lower than that could indicate an internal short in the pickup coil itself, which will give you a reduced output. Good luck!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM

thanks for that info, I will pick a day when I am feeling calm and remove the harness and do some tests. Not the easiest guitar to work on. Like keyhole surgery.
Gibson ES135
Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les electric View Post
when I bought it, it had a faulty toggle switch that would only spring back to the middle position and the neck pick up indeed had a broken wire. I soldered it back and it was ok, I also repaired the switch. They are P100 stacked humbuckers, not the best apparently. I will have to spend some time working on it, not the easiest guitar to work on being hollow bodied and having no removable panels. I will inspect the pick up wiring first and then switch the wires on the toggle to eliminate the volume/tone controls as a problem.
I think P100s are fantastic for smooth slide sounds. The main problem I have found with them is that, presumably because they have two huge coils (about 19K each), they pick up a lot of rf noise. The way I get mine to work both for tone and noise reduction is to use a very bright amp (H&K St. Dual EL84), and wind the treble off on the guitar until the noise is sufficiently reduced.

I don't think this is likely with a 450K ohm or so pot, but could the earth connection on the neck pickup volume pot have broken so that it is acting as a resistor rather than a voltage divider? Ie, not losing any signal to earth?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars