The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Fender Mustang amps.

Have any of you got experience with this range of modelling amps?
I've begun playing with another guy and using some electric guitar on our songs. I'm looking for an amp and can't really afford a good Tube at the moment.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM

i've tried them at GC but can't remember which version. they were ok for their clean sound but i wasn't impressed with their modeling sounds. i'd rather have a basic amp with specific pedals, but, ultimately a tube amp.

fender makes a couple of tube amps that you may want to try-the ramparte and the excelsior. neither are that expensive.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Funny, I was just logging on to ask about this very subject.

I'm kind of in the same situation - not willing to spend a lot on a tube amp (also don't particularly need one, being primarily a bedroom player.) I've read very good reviews of the Mustang III and IV models. Given the price and the fact that it's a solid state amp, it seems to perform pretty well. Here are some samples I've listened to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McsyKVFDPY

Would love to get more input from other users that have used one though!!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM

I have one of the early Mustang II amps. I say this because I think the newer ones are improved. It's a pretty cool amp with fairly realistic modeling. I feel the basic channels need tweaking, but it's real easy to adjust and save that set up. You can also go on a website and download other models.

The downside is I found you need to set it differently for each guitar you have, but usually small adjustments. Also the less effects you use the better, at least for me. I found I used 2 or 3 settings most of the time, tweed deluxe, tweed bassman and blackface deluxe reverb. It won't ever replace a good tube amp but it's a fun amp.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchfun View Post
I have one of the early Mustang II amps. I say this because I think the newer ones are improved.
The III, IV, V models have it so that you can tweak all the digital settings through the amp as opposed to having to use the FUSE software with the Mustang I and II.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM

I've got the Fender Mustang 1. I only use it in the house, usually with headphones, and my iPod plugged into the auxiliary input.
There are 24 preset sounds, 8 on the red channel, 8 on the green and 8 on the amber channel. I tend to use the first 4 or 5 in each channel, as the others aren't very useable.
I haven't used the Fender FUSE software yet, which gives you more sound options when altering the presets.
It's a good little amp and suits my needs. I can't be bothered to go down the pedal route again. Had enough of that in the 90's.
The Fender Super Champ X2 looks like a good amp if your after a bit more umpf.
Your going to have to find a stockist and try them out. I also tried the Vox VT20, but I wasn't keen on the distorted sounds.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I have a Mustang 3 and really like it for what it is...a solid state modeling amp...I found it to be easier to use and better sounding than the Peavey Vyper or Line 6 modeling series. Also the Mustang 3 has a nice LCD interface, vs the 1 and 2, which makes it easier to adjust settings. I also own a fender Supersonic 22 and will say that the models of the SS22 are dead on. Most of the stuff on there is modeled after Fender Amps (Champ, Princeton Reverb, etc) and find that the things I like about Fender amps I like about the Mustang also. They've managed to keep that Fender tube tone in a solid state box. The reverb is very nice sounding and can get real swampy if you turn it up, the cleans are chimey and crisp, and the moderately overdriven tones sound pretty dang good, like most Fender tube amps. I wouldn't want to play a lot of Metal with it, cuase the hard OD tones are a bit buzzy but it works great for Blues, Country, Rockabilly and Classic Rock tunes that I play. I've never played it with a drummer (I use the SS22 for that) but it gets quite loud, so I imagine it would work unless you had a real heavy handed drummer, and also sounds pretty good turned down to bedroom levels. It has a headphone jack and a 1/8" input, so that's fun to play with mp3's, especially late at night when the family is asleep. The controls are pretty easy to use and you don't need a PhD to modify the model settings, pretty intuitive. Haven't had a chance to play with the Fuse software on my computer yet, but plan on it in the near future. I actually use mine occasionally with a neighborhood acoustic group and plug my Reverend hollowbody into it and am able to keep the volume low enough and still get some cool sounds with a little reverb and chorus or a touch of OD to keep things interesting. All in all it's a good amp for the price, pretty versatile and fun and I'm seeing them all over the local Craigslist for around $200 (Mustang 2 for ~$150) as well as at GC (used) for that price, so pretty hard to go wrong for that kind of money.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM

Thanks, folks. I'm most attracted to the III. What bugs me a little is that people say that solid state amps are only for beginners. I've got 35yrs experience, but no amp to show for it
However, I don't want something that'll sound "plastic" if you know what I mean.

In addition, my instrument is an '84 Fender Tele. Will a modelling amp, which has digital pre-set sounds, still produce the classic Tele sound. Or, does such an amp sound the same no matter what crappy guitar goes into it?

I'm totally inexperienced with modelling amps, as you can tell.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a Tele also and mine sounds great with the III. I for one am not in the "if ain't got tubes it ain't an amp" club, especially these days. Solid state amps are generally really clean sounding, light, and pretty bulletproof. Until 2 years ago I played solely on an 80's Carvin 300W Bass amp that sounded really good with pedals, had passive and active eq, weighed 22 lbs and has never failed once since '83. You should really try to go to a GC or somewhere to try the Mustang out, I think you'll be surprised at how good it sounds.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:23 PM

I own a Mustang II version 2. It's 40 watts with a 12 inch speaker and it's a great practice amp.

First let me say that I found almost all of Fender's presets to be pretty much useless. On the other hand the Fenderfuse software is versatile and intuitive enough that I've had little trouble dialing in the sounds that I want. Although the Fuse software includes amp models from several different manufacturers, I've found the Fender amp models (especially the Twin Reverb and Deluxe Reverb) to be my favorites and to be quite accurate. Clean sounds are close to perfect and when overdriven they provide a surprisingly realistic tube amp simulation. There are also a variety of quality effects that are built into the amp including some nice reverbs, chorus, delay, auto wah,etc that can eliminate the need for a number of pedals or rack effects.

The downside to the Mustang II is that you must connect the amp to your computer via USB to utilize most of the detail functions of the Fuse software. The Mustang III allows you to do this without the need for connecting to the computer. Also at 40 watts the Mustang II is fine for practice or small venues without a drummer but the 100 watt Mustang III is an amp that you could gig with. Definitely some substantial advantages with the Mustang III.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 PM

I have a Mustang I for quiet practice. I enjoy it a lot for that, and being able to control everything through the computer makes it very intuitive to use. The amp models are pretty solid and do a good job of letting the guitar be heard, if that makes sense. My Les Paul through a British 60's model amp does a very passable sound for some Zeppelin and really wails when playing Barracuda. The stock Twin Reverb model with my wife's Strat paired up for a shockingly good reproduction of the guitar tone on Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". She has a set of vintage reproduction handwound pups in there, and the difference is very audible through that little amp. I'm not the biggest fan of the pedal modeling - I wish there were actual models of some of the classic pedals - but they work all right for practice and casual use. Friend of mine has the III, and that thing can hit near stage volume easily. I still prefer the Fuse software over the on board controls when adjusting it though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin'sTower View Post
Funny, I was just logging on to ask about this very subject.

I'm kind of in the same situation - not willing to spend a lot on a tube amp (also don't particularly need one, being primarily a bedroom player.) I've read very good reviews of the Mustang III and IV models. Given the price and the fact that it's a solid state amp, it seems to perform pretty well. Here are some samples I've listened to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McsyKVFDPY

Would love to get more input from other users that have used one though!!
tube amps are allowed in bedrooms also! just because it is a tube amp doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money. you can get wattages down to 1 watt or so.

a lot of people feel that the amp is at least 40% of the total equation. keep that in mind!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post

First let me say that I found almost all of Fender's presets to be pretty much useless.
Care to elaborate?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Sure. With the exception of about 3 of them, all of the presets I found on my Mustang II were not to my liking at all. Way too many effects too heavily applied for my tastes, and no clean settings. Seemed like many were of the overdriven Marshall/Orange/Rectifier type amps which may please metal heads but it wasn't what I was looking for.

The presets seemed like they were programmed to demonstrate the extremes that the amp could achieve and not the nuances of the Fenderfuse software's capabilities which I think are this amp's strength. When I got the amp home I wiped all of the presets and went about programming 7 or 8 models with settings that I can use and really enjoy.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 PM

I Recently bought a Mustang III V2 and my opinion mirrors the previous posts. I am pretty much a beginner but I have had several other modeling amps including Vox 15, 30 and 50. I think the Mustang is a much better amp. My understanding is that the Fender Mustang series of amps has just about put Line 6 out of business. BTW, I also bought a Blackstar 5 watt tube amp and so far I am very impressed. A little more money but worth a look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars