The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Default So, who buys lots of gear?

Hey - who's a gear junky? What I mean is who is always buying (or trading for) "electric guitar" gear, whether guitars, amps, pedals, pickups, etc. It can be exciting when trying to setup that signal path and trying out new gear.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM

I've cooled my jets lately, but yeah, I tend to pickup on deals, several great guitars from Rondo, and pedals. Not so much now but several years ago MF kept blowing out pedals at dirt cheap prices. I have the Zoom analog hyper, ultra and power pedals. Several of the Akai "big" pedals. A bunch of Snarling Dogs, the tweedydog, bluesdoo, and the Marshall copy whatever they called that. Also some Marshall pedals. All at a rock bottom price. I don't see deals like those any more.

I was beginning to gather some EH, the USA big muff, and Holy Stain, then suddenly I switched to back to acoustic and have lived in that world since then.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Wampler has become my favorite pedal maker, along with Hartman's analog flanger.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey - who's a gear junky? What I mean is who is always buying (or trading for) "electric guitar" gear, whether guitars, amps, pedals, pickups, etc. It can be exciting when trying to setup that signal path and trying out new gear.
Guilty as charged Your Honor!

My retirement budget is a bit restrictive but I'm currently working on a trade of some relatively infrequently used equipment and instruments to score a new Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus. Generally, even if I ain't buying, I'm thinking about it.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM

I go though phases. I am in an acoustic phase at the moment... so not a bunch of gear. A bunch of acoustic instruments. It started with a Ukelele... not sure where it's going to end.

I am shopping both 000s and banjos at the moment, so not sure I am close to an end of this phase.
Cordoba C10 Crossover
Many more!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM

I do but I have mellowed some recently. With the electric I have been just an amp guitar and cord for the most part. Of course as soon as I sell my pedalboard I will need all that stuff back again so I will keep it. You never know when your mode will shift and dancing on pedals becomes a part of your life again. Used to gig with a real Leslie if that gives you a clue to how bad I used to be.

Acoustic I use no effects other than a DI from Baggs. But my acoustics don't need anything to sound great.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Define "lots". Does 40-50 electric guitars, 30+amps, around 35 pedals, and a couple dozen acoustics in the last 15 years qualify as "lots"?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Over the last few years I have amassed several things, but I don't collect. I use them.'05 Schecter C-1+, '08 Schecter C-1 Elite, '06 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, Yamaha APX-5A, Epiphone MD-100 Resonator, Godin 5th Avenue, Fender Bassman 70, Marshall 1965a 4x10 cab, Oahu lap steel, Kalamazoo lap steel and amp, '63 Wurlitzer organ, a few pedals, and I just got another Bassman 70 for a backup, several parts for a doubleneck lap steel build. I think I'm done for a while. Well, the new pickups for my C-1+ shipped today.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Guilty,,,on multiple counts.

In the last month and a half, I"ve bought five combo-amps, four guitar stands, a half dozen pedals, interconnects, 2 amp-stands, a tambourine, a few more instrument-cables.

I seem to go on yearly binges, and all of it is related to my retirement project; which is making music with friends. Basically, I can now outfit an 8-piece band, complete with monitors and several levels of P/A (16.5 kw).

We have 11 combo-amps, 20+ guitars/basses, approx 65-70 mics at our disposal, as well as full lighting for wash, dance-floor, and lasers. There's a 6-piece drum-kit, and we're working on adding Latin percussion and keys over the next year or so.

As for Live and recorded sound, we're fully equipped for up to 24 channels (digital and analogue consoles). It's a big commitment, and it's been 7 years in the making. I turned 65 last month, so I'm now officially "retired", and looking forward to making music 'til the day I croak. Maybe we can have an Irish "wake" too.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

With no opportunity to play electric with anyone, only at home for my own entertainment, I've become 99% an acoustic player, occasionally getting together with friends from here in the AGF.

My electrics revolve in and out of a collection, I guess because I keep searching for something that inspires me to care about an electric guitar. If I had any sense, I'd probably own nothing more than a Strat and something with humbuckers like a 335, maybe even cheap clones of each with decent pickups stuck in them. I have exactly those two, but for some reason, I always seem tempted to try other things and my guitar rack is pretty full of stuff going unplayed.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes ... I've been on a bit of a binge lately. Mostly selling/trading to get new "stuff". I still fill in with a band every couple months for a week or so and I use that to fuel the fire.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldwyn View Post
I go though phases. I am in an acoustic phase at the moment... so not a bunch of gear. A bunch of acoustic instruments. It started with a Ukelele... not sure where it's going to end.

I am shopping both 000s and banjos at the moment, so not sure I am close to an end of this phase.
Same here. When I'm in my acoustic phase I'm not looking at electric gear. Although a few months ago I did see a great used Marshall JVM that I bought even though I was in an acoustic phase ... so I guess it never really goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeand View Post
Define "lots". Does 40-50 electric guitars, 30+amps, around 35 pedals, and a couple dozen acoustics in the last 15 years qualify as "lots"?
Naaa, when I was talking about "lots" I meant a "lot more" than that. Yep, you're a gear junky!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 AM

I'm very minimalist and I don't have money, but I would love to have this gear:
Electric guitars: Vintage Telecaster and Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature.
Acoustic guitars: A dobro guitar and a Guild dreadnought.
Amps: Silvertone Twin Twelve (the one that Jack White uses), Vox AC15 and perhaps a Marshall Plexi.
Pedals: EHX Big Muff Pi.

Just it
Tagima Precision TP4 (Bass)

Effects:
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Zoom G1xNext
Zoom A2

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Mackintek Maxx10 (I dont use it anymore)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Talking

I think it's part of being a Musicians these days. I've been buying/selling (mainly "returning") gear for years and feel like I've made huge strides in all areas; electric guitar, acoustic guitar, live PA, recording. I feel it is very worth the time, effort, hassle and $$$.

I would probably faint if I knew exactly how much I have spent on shipping (USPS, Fedex, UPS) over the last 10 years. Guitars, pedals, pickups, amps, preamps, tubes, cables, strings, pedalboards, speakers, mics, recording gear, etc.

I have sold quite a bit of gear but I am mainly guilty of buying from the retail vendors and on Ebay and taking advantage of their return policy. I return way more than I keep, but that's the nature of the industry.

Right now I have 3 USB recording interfaces, 4 sets of studio monitors and 4 studio headphones that I will be demoing. I will only be keeping one of each, but at least I was able to try them out in my home which is what they all advertise: "Try it, if you don't like it, send it back".

Last edited by jamison162; 07-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM

For me it's been an evolution. Over the years I've purchased and tinkered with many, many items in search of the holy grail of sound. (Most are collecting dust now.) The more I practice and play, the more I realize that less is more. These days, I like to keep it simple with just a decent acoustic (insert your favorite here) guitar and amp (like the Fishman Loudbox mini or SA220) and a mic. If I get really fancy, I'll use the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. It's an amazing device.

But hmm.... I wonder what that Triple Play device would sound like

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars