The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I recommend taking your time and looking for a great used instrument. I had great luck working with Guitar Solo in San Francisco (866-788-2255). The staff recommended a two-year old Robert Garcia cedar/indian Fleta model and it's been a fantastic instrument. It was on consignment and I picked it up for about $3,200 delivered. I've owned and played a lot of great classical guitars the past few years (including an Eric Sahlin) and the Garcia is second to none.

Anyway...GSI, Guitar Solo, and Savage Classical Guitars are all great places to contact and discuss what you're looking for.

Have fun!!
Thanks. I'm thinking more and more about going the used route. The difficulty is getting to the shops and actually trying different guitars out. Most of the good places seem to be on the west coast. So, I will have to wait until my work takes me out that way. Chicago is close, though, and I plan to look there sometime next year.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM

Yulong Guo makes a phenomenal instrument in your price range. I'm shocked by the two I've heard anyway.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Try the web site Zavaleta's Guitars . Excellent one man operation.

For excellent quality...I would recommend the Cervantes instruments.. either the "Concert" series or higher.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-lb View Post
Thanks. I'm thinking more and more about going the used route. The difficulty is getting to the shops and actually trying different guitars out. Most of the good places seem to be on the west coast. So, I will have to wait until my work takes me out that way. Chicago is close, though, and I plan to look there sometime next year.
Most of the reputable classical dealers will allow a trial period. You'll need to save some funds for possible return shipping fees, but at least you'll have the option of returning an instrument that doesn't suit you.

It's still a buyer's market and I strongly recommend going the used route...much more bang for the buck.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-lb View Post
I have two inexpensive classicals now (Cordoba C5, Aria AC60) and I'm thinking about saving up for a more expensive guitar, something in the $2,500 to $3,000 range. This will be a long term project, and so I plan to look around and experiment a lot, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on where to look and who to try in that range. I'm familiar with Ramirez, but they seem to be so famous that I wonder if you end up paying for the name.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
In that price range you could get a luthier-built instrument. Last time I was in my home town of Toronto I played a bunch of classical guitars at The Twelfth Fret (which has a very good selection), but I found a luthier on www.delcamp.com and went to look at one of the guitars he made, and ended up bringing it home with me.

After a while I realized that the instrument is too good for me, so now I'm taking lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical