The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Default good cheap small bass amp?

Something in the range of say a spyder, or vox valvetronix that you know of that is reliable and decent sounding. Obviously going to be bigger and probably more expensive due to increased wattage, and to carry a decent sized cone, but any recommendations appreciated.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Probably just a bit more than you're looking to spend right now, but unlike anything less expensive/less powerful this one'll take you from the bedroom to the gig with no tonal compromises:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB10
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Something in the range of say a spyder, or vox valvetronix that you know of that is reliable and decent sounding. Obviously going to be bigger and probably more expensive due to increased wattage, and to carry a decent sized cone, but any recommendations appreciated.
If you can find one of these, I guarantee you'll be very happy. (and surprised)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...r-xm100c-combo
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Probably just a bit more than you're looking to spend right now, but unlike anything less expensive/less powerful this one'll take you from the bedroom to the gig with no tonal compromises:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB10
Do you own one or have you played through one? I had some issues with the knobs on one of their acoustic amps, but that was probably 10 years ago.

Also does that 10 inch keep the sound tight?

Thanks for any info you might have on it.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 PM

I own the MB12, simply because the basses I use most of the time - Gibson SG Reissue, Gretsch 5123B, Ibanez SR405 5-string, and my wife's Hofner 5000/1 Deluxe - require the 12" speaker and extended response of the larger cabinet to get the low-end punch and "woof" I'm after. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use an MB10 with my Pedulla, or any other instrument equipped with P/J pickups - should give you a nice tight "piano" bottom end with clean highs, the EQ section is extremely flexible, and the built-in compression and contour make it real easy for the sound guy (or gal) to dial you into the house. In addition, it's very lightweight; my MB12 - with its 12"/6.5"/horn complement and larger cabinet - scales in at all of 30 pounds (one-third less than the Ampeg PortaBass 250 combo it replaced), and IIRC the MB10 comes in at 22. TMK the only other comparable amp is Gallien-Krueger's MB-110 - half the power, fewer features, and Pac-Rim manufacture; IMO there's no contest in the ultra-compact bass amp department unless you're ready to pay three times the price for a Markbass or Phil Jones...

Here's a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7LrWCgBFQ
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I'd recommend you look into the MarkBass Players School combo amp. Absolutely amazing amp. I got one on a cyber Monday special and love it. Great build quality, excellent sound and silent when not playing (no hum ,etc. like many small amps have). Plenty loud enough for medium sized gigs too. DI out which many small units lack so you can run into the house sound when needed. My sound guy was blown away.

Do I sound like a believer? Yes, I am!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:37 PM

For what, and how much??? I have an Orange Crush 25 that I use for bedroom practice. I liked the tone. The Ampeg mini fridges are pretty well-liked. Both would probably do you for an acoustic gig. Old peaveys are huge, nearly bulletproof, and fairly cheap used.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
...Old Peaveys are huge, nearly bulletproof, and fairly cheap used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I'd recommend you look into the MarkBass Players School combo amp...Great build quality, excellent sound and silent when not playing (no hum, etc. like many small amps have). Plenty loud enough for medium sized gigs too. DI out which many small units lack so you can run into the house sound when needed...
That's a 15-incher, Growler - and those Peaveys can weigh a ton; IIRC the OP was looking for something smaller, otherwise I would have recommended this:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB15

Check the specs: got the DI (pre/post selectable with dedicated level control and ground lift), more flexible EQ (dual parametric mids, contour), more power, noise-free, solidly (USA) built, slightly lighter weight on the handle - and ~$200 lighter weight on the wallet (which makes me a believer). FWIW there's also a matching 1x15" cab for $249 that'll net you 250W of power and classic 2x15" old-school tone, in a far more manageable package than an old Peavey cab (TMK they've got the last 2x15" in regular production) - debating between getting one of these as a sub for my MB12 or waiting for the AG300E 12"/6.5"/horn cab as a complementary full-range box...
Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 PM

it seems to me that the markbass is about the best thing going for bass players but you may want to check the talkbass forum for other opinions.

http://www.talkbass.com/

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars