The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Default What am I doing wrong?

I have a brand new 114ce and I can't get it to work with an amp. Battery is good and the little red light is on in the sound hole. Any suggestions? What is that little switch next to the red light? If I can't get this to work, looks like I'm making a trip to GC.

THANKS
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 PM

First of all, posting this question in multiple locations just slows down the process. But you haven't given much information. Did it work at the store? If so, what has changed? Different cord? Different battery? Different amp? Have you checked it with another amp and cord to isolate the problem? If it worked at the store and then not at home, it's likely something there and not the guitar. Hopefully you didn't buy the guitar without checking it out completely. However, by slowly evaluating each component of the chain you will find the problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 PM

My appologies for the dual post. I didnt plug it in at GC when I bought it. I have had it for a week 1/2, so I still have a couple of weeks. It came right out of the box, and I just didn't think about plugging it in. My buddies works with his guitar, but mines not working. I assuming it's not the amp.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 AM

You are still being ambiguous. What's not working? No sound at all? Nobody saw your case in person so without very clear description of all details throughout one could hardly debug for you blindly.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justguth View Post
I have a brand new 114ce and I can't get it to work with an amp. Battery is good and the little red light is on in the sound hole. Any suggestions? What is that little switch next to the red light? If I can't get this to work, looks like I'm making a trip to GC.

THANKS
Jusguth,
-Try a little trouble shooting before taking the guitar back.
One at a time, replace items in the signel chain (guitar cord, pre amp battery, amp.) Make sure your replacements are operating correctly.
If all else fails, read the manual. (guy thing...)
Take it back if you're still having problems.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Last night I was sitting around with some buddies who all play acoustic/electrics. One of my buddies wanted to hear mine on the amp. The amp was working fine with all of their guitars. When mine was plugged in, no sound. We changed the battery to a brand new one, checked the cord (it worked on all the other guitars) and adjusted the volume. If you look inside the sound hole you could see the red light on, so I know there is power going to the guitar. Tried to get it to work for about a half hour with no luck. I beleive that's all the trouble shooting I can do to know that it's not working.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 AM

When you finally plug it in and find out just how bad the Taylor EST pickup sounds you will wish you you never heard it in first place. One of the reasons my 214ce had to go. Could never played it at a gig.
Good luck sorting it out.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 AM

You bought it at Guitar Center so you can return it. That's what I would do. Return it and buy a Takamine. Taylors are great guitars, but as Taylor Prague said the EST lacks in the pickup category. Try a Tak and you'll be impressed if what your after is an amplified sound.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
First of all, posting this question in multiple locations just slows down the process.
I don't understand why this should be the case. Someone please explain.

With regard to your query, first let me apologise for the less than helpful posts so far on this subject.

Rosewoodsteel's advice is bang on. If your friend's guitars all work fine with your amp and cable then the problem has got to be your guitar. Contact GC, maybe a phone call will sort the matter. If not, you'll have to take it back.
If there's a problem with the guitar, then GC will change it for another one.

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer63 View Post
I don't understand why this should be the case. Someone please explain.

With regard to your query, first let me apologise for the less than helpful posts so far on this subject.

Rosewoodsteel's advice is bang on. If your friend's guitars all work fine with your amp and cable then the problem has got to be your guitar. Contact GC, maybe a phone call will sort the matter. If not, you'll have to take it back.
If there's a problem with the guitar, then GC will change it for another one.

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.
For starters you get people wasting their time reading the post in different locations which means they'll post in one and not the other or neither. So that's uncalled for. Put it where it belongs and people will respond plus it wastes bandwidth (not a lot but a waste). The OP didn't seem to mind the suggestion, why would you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion