The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Breedlove models

Looking for a great value on a Breedlove for my 16-year-old son, who has a Seagull mini-jumbo. Unfortunately budget is limited to about $600. What models should I be looking at? THANKS!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 AM

Anything in the Organic Wildwood series, the all hog Concert is nice....Squeeze a little $99 and you can get a Jeff Bridges edition $699

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 12-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

The big online stores have discounted the Breedlove organic series. They sold out of a few models, but
I saw an organic signature coper burst for 599, with electronics. I bought one locally, and find it an excellent guitar.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-17-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
The big online stores have discounted the Breedlove organic series. They sold out of a few models, but
I saw an organic signature coper burst for 599, with electronics. I bought one locally, and find it an excellent guitar.
In late, but I bought the Organic Concert E (copper burst, no cutaway) for $499 and have been quite pleased with it. I had traded off a Martin custom 000-15, so I needed a wood acoustic in that size, and the Breedlove serves well.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:52 AM

If new, you are most likely looking at the Pursuit series or Organic series, which are both imported from China. The Pursuit are laminate back/sides and the Organic are solid wood. Of course, the size/scale will matter to you. If you want smaller 12 fret 24.75 scale, you have the Concertina models. If you want larger 14 fret, you have the 25.5 scale Concert and Concerto. It just depends on desired musical style, output level, and the guitar body size he prefers.

The Breedlove imports have a 1.69 nut width which may or may not matter to you. The Pursuits also have a very thin neck at the first fret in a shape I would describe as the thin modern C, which to me feels somewhat elliptical. I think most here would describe it as simply thin and flat. I would guess that the Signatures are similar, unless Breedlove has specified a change.

My daughter loves her model, and I think the neck configuration makes her a more well-rounded player as a learner. She isn't discouraged to try any style and loves to play. She has the smaller body Concertina, which is comfortable to play all around the house. We had no problem with a low action set-up. It came from the dealer ready to play. I am also really impressed with the fit/finish of the guitar.

The Organic has the selling point of solid wood at similar prices to the older Pursuit line. I can easily see folks preferring either though. The Organics at the price are European spruce tops over mahogany and satin all mahogany. You might find Pursuits with sitka/cedar/mahogany tops over the layered mahogany back/sides. Also, the "E" versions of the two lines have different pickups. I like the Pursuits with the cedar tops, that is if you like cedar. Others may have a different preference. The nice thing about Breedlove is that they have Soundcloud files for most of their guitars. I have found "to my ear" that these are close to what I hear in person.

Of course, you asked specifically about Breedlove. Folks will be glad to recommend many other brands in the price range as options as well. It may come down to having several brands and going with what you can find considering current inventory levels. I can say that we really like our Pursuit, and it has been one of my more satisfying guitar purchases. Of course, I may be biased by the whole my kid being happy with the guitar thing.

Best of luck,

Mac

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove