The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 AM

To further the Tech 21 recommendations, I have their "Para-D.I." and it's versatile enough to be used for bass, acoustic, and electric. It's got that overdriven tube emulation, enough for an electric guitar to get nasty, as well as taming the quack on an acoustic's UST, and even for bass! It's a simple, do-it-all little box, and can even sound good in front of a power amp.

Check it out, it might cover all your needs with one box, while also enhancing your acoustic rig at the same time. It's got sweepable (semi-parametric) mids - which differentiates it from their bass driver DI.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 AM

One thing I noticed when I mentioned electric guitars is all sorts of new vocabulary started assaulting me. It's gotta be like first year med school.

So it seems to me I have 3 basic categories of choice:

1) Get a pedal/fancy pedal/super fancy pedal
2) Get an electric amp
3) Don't get an electric guitar

Choice three is definitely the cheapest and I wouldn't have to learn any new words.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenHairlessCats View Post
One thing I noticed when I mentioned electric guitars is all sorts of new vocabulary started assaulting me. It's gotta be like first year med school.

So it seems to me I have 3 basic categories of choice:

1) Get a pedal/fancy pedal/super fancy pedal
2) Get an electric amp
3) Don't get an electric guitar

Choice three is definitely the cheapest and I wouldn't have to learn any new words.

You'd get to keep your bed too Oh, the "fancy" and "super fancy" dilemma applies to amps too, btw. cheers_EK

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
You'd get to keep your bed too Oh, the "fancy" and "super fancy" dilemma applies to amps too, btw. cheers_EK
Yeah, although the twin bed might give me more room to do push-ups or play solo twister.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 PM

OK, so still thinking about this. At the end of the month, I can get a nice full size acoustic, or I could get an electric + pedal or amp. Right now my only guitar is a GS mini (which I like a lot).

Will playing electric help me be a better guitarist than I otherwise could be only playing acoustic? If so, then electric might be the way to go. Otherwise, I should probably stick with acoustic.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
OK, so still thinking about this. At the end of the month, I can get a nice full size acoustic, or I could get an electric + pedal or amp. Right now my only guitar is a GS mini (which I like a lot).

Will playing electric help me be a better guitarist than I otherwise could be only playing acoustic? If so, then electric might be the way to go. Otherwise, I should probably stick with acoustic.
You seem to be at the very early stages of the journey. My advice would be to think less. Right now, which path seems more fun to you? Take that one. When it's time to broaden or change, you'll know it.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Stick with acoustic, if you can. I mean, if the draw for electric doesn't over-power your will-power to stay away. It'll open up an whole can of worms, and you'll be GAS'ing for a lot more gear.

Will it make you a better guitarist, well it's not that simple. It's different. You'll want to play different stuff on it, and it plays differently. It's a lot easier to play, using lighter strings with super-low action (usually). Usually, electric plays like butter after you're used to playing an acoustic.

If you can stick with acoustic, get yourself a nice full-size acoustic. I don't know what it is, but there's something about a full 25.4" or 25.5" scale. I love Les Pauls, and my Caballero has their 24-3/4" scale, and I love it, but there's still something about the full-scale length that adds a certain something to acoustics to me.

If you opt for an electric rig: choose wisely.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
You seem to be at the very early stages of the journey. My advice would be to think less. Right now, which path seems more fun to you? Take that one. When it's time to broaden or change, you'll know it.
I've been playing guitar on and off for 20 years (mostly off). I've been thinking less the whole time and it hasn't got me anywhere. I still have no idea what to practice, what to learn--completely lost in the wilderness after two decades, and not much to show for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars