The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 AM

The big electrolytics are in the power supply and normally they don't really affect the tone. If they're getting quirky with age that might affect plate voltages and DC smoothing (power supply caps help to smooth out AC ripple in the DC B+/plate voltage fed to the tube anodes).

Other caps in the circuit can have a big effect on tone but in modern amps these won't be electrolytics (and hence don't age quickly). I couldn't tell you what was standard 50 years ago.

You can pick up a cheap LCR meter to measure capacitance if you're at all concerned.

First: safety. Two rules you must always follow every time you go into the chassis.

(1) Power caps store high voltages. You need to drain off the charge. Switch the amp off and leave it plugged in for at least a minute. They'll probably lose charge quicker than that but I couldn't say exactly.

(2) Now unplug the amp from the mains. It's not enough just to switch it off because you'll still have mains voltage on some terminals at the amp's power switch and IEC socket.

If you have a multimeter I guess it wouldn't hurt to double check the voltage on the big caps but the amp should now be completely safe to work with.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Default It IS a Stramp Amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
Might be a Stramp, sans logo... Rory Gallagher used them to great effect in the 70's. I'd definitely look into getting the filters replaced. If they short out, they might take that nice power tranny out.

Here's a video of a Stramp being well-used by Rory and his bass player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCUK...ature=youtu.be
And so it is..
Thanks to you I'd have never looked for that name.
It is a STRAMP 100 Watt Hybrid (Solid State Pre Amp/Tube Power) Amp
made by Dynacord.
It is basically Peter Struvens 2100A with a Solid State PreAmp.
I posted it on ebay and a guy identified it.
At that cheap price for two weeks & Ive only had watchers,I might just withdraw it now that I know.
Put a new grill(which look of bugs the hell out of me),change filters exactly as recommended here, and keep it.
Im gonna take it in & see if German made filters are available.
The original Stramp 2100A with Tube Pre Amp sells for around $3500..it would be interesting to maybe convert it to Tube Pre Amp but I dont really think there would be much of an improvement in sound, and it would only be right if all components used were German..
Thanks for the tip. : )
Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Right on! Honestly, were it me I would not sell it. If you have a Marshall or similar 100W as a pal, it would make a cool stereo pair. I'd wager at 6+ it'd peel the toupee off any lounge monkey who'd get too close to it.

Regards! Bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars