The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Default Marshall Clone..Made in Germany early 70's.

Any info on these..?
My friend who plays bass bought this in Germany together with a Marshall Cabinet in early to mid 70's, used, while he was in the military.
I think it was made around 1969/70.
I & brothers played with him for years untill he moved away & I always thought it was a real Marshall that the name fell off of..
Anyway..I plugged it into my Marshall stack of Cabinets and it had a beautiful vintage guitar tone..on full out.
More vintage sounding than the JTM45 handwired Anniversary Head.
Anyone can tell me something about it ? Thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Also..anyone know where I can get a good replacement grill that fits in this guy?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:10 PM

That looks nice, and well built. Nice big transformers! Have you got any gut shots? Wonder how the components match up to that era Marshall. I'd love to hear it thru a 4x12! Any good guitar cabinet builder could match your grill.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 AM

I was going to say I want one! There's a sticker on the back that looks like it might have the name of a store on it? Chances are the store is long gone but have you tried googling it?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I was going to say I want one! There's a sticker on the back that looks like it might have the name of a store on it? Chances are the store is long gone but have you tried googling it?
Dru,no, that is the sticker from a place that serviced it in NY near 48th St (Andres).
When my parents got a house,we set up in the basement about 1986/7 and he brought the amp over. I thought it a good idea to service it,so I took the amp to NY for him to have it retubed etc. It is the last time it was serviced.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
That looks nice, and well built. Nice big transformers! Have you got any gut shots? Wonder how the components match up to that era Marshall. I'd love to hear it thru a 4x12! Any good guitar cabinet builder could match your grill.
I am curious but its not my kind of thing to take it apart..in 1969/70 most amps were handwired and it sure sounds it.
Id expect it is like a same period Marshall but with German version of those components..the same as Marshall did when reproducing the Fender Bassman layout.

I have one of those 250 40th Anv. JTM 45 Amps and so I plugged it into the two 4X12 Speaker Cabinets of that amp & a guitar with orig Pafs..and little by little took it to 10. For the first time in decades I played loud and long.
The sounds of history came out of that set up.

Oldies like myself (50's)get all cringey when the volume gets up there, but you quickly get used to it in a few minutes and thats where these amps rock.
I have a Victoria Bassman..when I play it I always push the volume 3/4 & up.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
I am curious but its not my kind of thing to take it apart..in 1969/70 most amps were handwired and it sure sounds it.
Id expect it is like a same period Marshall but with German version of those components..the same as Marshall did when reproducing the Fender Bassman layout.

I have one of those 250 40th Anv. JTM 45 Amps and so I plugged it into the two 4X12 Speaker Cabinets of that amp & a guitar with orig Pafs..and little by little took it to 10. For the first time in decades I played loud and long.
The sounds of history came out of that set up.

Oldies like myself (50's)get all cringey when the volume gets up there, but you quickly get used to it in a few minutes and thats where these amps rock.
I have a Victoria Bassman..when I play it I always push the volume 3/4 & up.
My curiosity would not let me have that restraint!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

My first thought (and I am NO Marshall expert, by any means...) was that perhaps this was an early offering from the guy who ended up making the Bogner amplifiers? I don't know if the dates match up, though...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
My first thought (and I am NO Marshall expert, by any means...) was that perhaps this was an early offering from the guy who ended up making the Bogner amplifiers? I don't know if the dates match up, though...
Really? Are Bogner amps made in Germany ?
it would be late 60's early 70's..It was well used by the time he bought it in 74'/75'
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Reinhold Bogner was born in Germany. I didn't find out, yet(?), when he moved to California. He was building amps before he moved.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 PM

The only way to be sure what it is would be to trace the circuit. Most Marshall amp schematics can be found online so you'd quite quickly be able to figure out the model.

The amp's electrolytic capacitors will most probably need changing although if it sounds good I'd be tempted not to. Maybe measure the old ones as they come out just to see what's producing the sound you like.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The only way to be sure what it is would be to trace the circuit. Most Marshall amp schematics can be found online so you'd quite quickly be able to figure out the model.

The amp's electrolytic capacitors will most probably need changing although if it sounds good I'd be tempted not to. Maybe measure the old ones as they come out just to see what's producing the sound you like.
This is just what I was going to say, but when the OP said he did not want to drop the chassis I figured that was out. I promise that a couple good shots of the circuit and components and folks on The Gear Page or the Marshall Forum would know ALOT about the amp.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Might be a Stramp, sans logo... Rory Gallagher used them to great effect in the 70's. I'd definitely look into getting the filters replaced. If they short out, they might take that nice power tranny out.

Here's a video of a Stramp being well-used by Rory and his bass player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCUK...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-11-2014, 07:40 AM

So to keep the sound, the values of the filters/caps should be matched.
Theres a good amp place round here (NJ)..
I wonder if they can replace that grill as well.

How do I go about pulling chassis out?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars