The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 AM

Default Floyd rose fine-tuning question

I just had my Washburn serviced and he re-floated the bridge which had been locked down.

However I can't adjust the tuning. I thought the long knobs with the allen key bolt were for fine tuning, but I can't turn them, even with an allen key - at least I tried fairly hard and then as scared of doing something wrong.

The screws which press down onto those bolts are easy to turn and affect the tuning but is this the right way to do it, or are those actually adjusting the bridge, not the tuning?

Last edited by johnd; 09-02-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Hi John. In order to tune your floyd rose, first loosen the bolts at the headstock (at the nut) and tune the guitar. Then tighten the bolts (I'm guessing you have that part).

Now fine tune at the tremolo. I'm looking at my floyd rose now. It's the (relatively) large thumb screws that you turn by hand. There are also little bolts directly under the string - these are not for tuning but rather bridge adjustments. And of course the little bolts for locking in the strings (which I know you're familiar with).

Does this help?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 AM

Hi John, Here's a quick, 2 minute youtube clip, although I just loosen the bolts at the nut rather than remove them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lShGM5Bh4os
Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It's the (relatively) large thumb screws that you turn by hand. There are also little bolts directly under the string - these are not for tuning but rather bridge adjustments.
I just realised the photo I posted didn't work - can you see it now?

Here you can see 3 rows of bolts/screws:

Top: under the strings, small allen bolts
Middle: large flat-head finger-screws, screwing down into the bridge
Bottom: long allen-head bolts, screwing parallel to the neck

I'd assumed the bottom ones were the fine-tuners, based on looking online, the middle ones seem to press directly on the bottom bolts so turning these adjusts the tension by 'tilting' the bottom bolts, which doesn't sound right.

This image suggests though, that is exactly what one does and I was trying to turn the wrong thing!

Old 09-01-2014, 05:49 AM

Saw your video too late, thanks. It's only the fine tuning that was an issue... all the stuff online I found focused on the difficult parts and seemed to take it for granted nobody could be too stupid to misunderstand "turn the fine tuners"
Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Saw your video too late, thanks. It's only the fine tuning that was an issue... all the stuff online I found focused on the difficult parts and seemed to take it for granted nobody could be too stupid to misunderstand "turn the fine tuners"
LOL, not stupid at all John. And yes, your pic in your first post is now showing (it didn't when I originally posted otherwise I just would have said "turn the big screws on top").
Old 09-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
LOL no worries it's the simple things that often times are difficult.

I think it's best to set the fine tuners do so that they have a little room to detune, lower tension, but most of the room to tune up, tighten tension. Since strings tend to loosen over time. Once you have the guitar tuned up and the strings stretched out good then you lock the nut and from there on out just use the fine tuners until it gets impossible to tune again then you just loosen the nut and start over.

BTW I'm a bit worried to hear you say that you had a hard time adjusting the Allen screws, I'm assuming you are talking about the string lock screws, but even if you are talking about the intonation locking screws in any case most people think you have to crank the HELL out of these tight and I see a lot of problems there as a result. You don't need to crank them. You certainly can't get away with just finger tightening them but if you actually had a real hard time undoing those screws then some one over tightened them.

Also to set the float up properly the base plate should be free and dead level with the guitar body when strung to standard pitch, or what ever key you want to tune too. Unless of course you have an odd set up. Floyd's are great once they are set up proper but you can have a real journey just trying to get there.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Probably good you didn't loosen the allen screws enough to have the string fly up in your face.

One concern with overtightening the string clamp screws is splitting the block that is on the back side of the string.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Probably good you didn't loosen the allen screws enough to have the string fly up in your face.

One concern with overtightening the string clamp screws is splitting the block that is on the back side of the string.
Yep, I've had strings slip before (the high E) and they shoot out fast.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Yep, I've had strings slip before (the high E) and they shoot out fast.
If you pre-bend about 1/8" or so of the end at a 90 deg. angle, ad slip that bent end UNDER the pillow block before tightening, it'll never slip. And I use my Floyds pretty hard, though I only have one floating setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars