The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 AM

I couldn't possibly comment if they sound real or not with my level of knowledge, though the fact companies like Orange, Fender, et al are allowing Amplitude to use their brands has to be a pretty powerful endorsement?

My question would be, on the technical side at least, is it good enough? Not "does a modelled X-DElay-123d" sound identical to a real X-DElay-123d, but does it do a good enough job as a delay pedal? Or another way, does a modelled $200 pedal sound as good as a real $50 pedal? For someone who doesn't want to invest $thousands and would be buying lower end kit, does this represent a way to get more for your limited budget?
But really "is it good enough" is the key question - does it sound like a proper electric guitar, not can an expert tell the real from the modelled
Old 08-26-2014, 11:28 AM

that is going to be subjective. all you can do is try the ones in garageband and tweak them. you'll like some and not like some.

i have the istomp that i run thru my ipad and it gives me some great sounds. but again, that is subjective. i also have the free version of amplitude fender and ampkit, both of them give me some decent sounds.

i also have a 66 deluxe reverb and, so far, nothing compares with it and its reverb.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 AM

I think if we're at the level "it's subjective" then that kind of answers my question, it's good enough you could use it
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
There is a free version of amplitube which gets you about 20 virtual bits... Full,version currently $99 which includes 160 official things by fender, orange, etc.

I hadn't considered using it as a replacement for real gear though, is that a realistic option? Just guitar->PC->PA/clean amp? I was always assuming I'd just use the software to figure out what hardware to buy!
The free one has only reverb and compression for Fender and reverb and something else, rather dull, for the plain. It costs more money to get effects.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I think if we're at the level "it's subjective" then that kind of answers my question, it's good enough you could use it
Yeah it's good enough. But there is something special when after a gig a young aspiring guitarist comes up to talk and see's your vintage Ibanez Black Label Tube Screamer and starts gushing with how cool it is. It just wouldn't be the same if it was an iScreamer hahaha

The answer is yes, it's good enough, and they just keep getting better and cheaper.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
The free one has only reverb and compression for Fender and reverb and something else, rather dull, for the plain. It costs more money to get effects.
That's not actually true. As well as a couple of amps you get a compressor, overdrive, delay and probably one or two others. They are generic effects though I think. I'm not sure the free version has enough to give a representative feel for the whole setup to convince me it's worth buying.

My biggest issue with buying all my own stuff is that I don't really want to have to buy a big, expensive amp - I do expect to play on stage to some degree so I would need a real amp. Modeling an amp even if I had real effects pedals seems quite attractive to me, both to keep the stage volume down and having seen the faff that people go through mic-ing it up "just so". Can you get an effects box which just models an amp, so you can then output through a clean amp?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars