The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Default Question about pickups

I see threads about replacing pickups all the time (here and elsewhere).

What makes a pickup 'better'? Say I want to replace a pickup... if I go from low output to high output, there will be a difference, and vice versa.

But ... between two pickups with the same output, is one better than the next? Is the output rating the only variable considered? Is the difference significant enough, that fiddling with the amp settings won't cover up any differences?

And regarding tone pots and the like... is 250k the same with any brand? What do you look for in the rest of the electronics? Is it just a matter of finding something with the right wiring options?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 PM

The true differences lie deep in electrical theory as far as winding patterns, wiring gauge, etc. On a simpler level, less windings (a lower DC resistance indicates this) tend to be brighter, clearer, and less midrange focused and vice versa. The person winding can vary the placement and scatter of the winding as he goes to make changes in the voicing of the pickup.

The type of magnet affects the output and tone as well, whether it be alnico or ceramic. I personally think alnico sounds more natural, warmer, and smoother. I've had ceramic magnet pickups and found them very cutting in tone. Lots of attack, lots of power, great under high gain/heavy distortion use.

What makes a pickup great, though? Does it sound like what you want it to? That's a big reason people change them. I changed the ones in my Eastman for Duncan Seth Lovers because I wanted that fifties ES 335 tone. Clear, jangly, biting, classic PAF tone. They deliver that in spades, so for me they are a great set of pickups.

Amp eq can tame shrill highs, cut or boost bass, scoop or push mids, but I haven't found a setting to make a cheap, muddy pickup clear up and give better note and string separation yet.

Lastly, pots. I like CTS pots. Why? The full size bodies give better definition making it easier to find the sweet spot. Cheap, compact pots feel touchy and seem to have a less usable taper. 10 to 7 is a huge jump on subpar pots, but is more subtle on a good one.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Great post Clint.

Hi Pualee, I'll add that the quality of parts and the tolerances makes a big difference in the final product. Also, just changing magnets from an Alnico 2 to an Alnico 5 to a Ceramic or to other Alnico magnets make a different in the tone also. Combine that with number of winds, winding pattern, gauge, etc and you can have a pickup that emphasises the bass, the mids, the treble, etc. Think of a pickup as an EQ.

Regarding pots, the general rule of thumb (and a good starting point) is that humbuckers use 500k pots and single coils use 250k but it depends upon whether you want to let a little more, or less, brightness in your tone. Some people like 300k in their Les Pauls (I think some models may ship with those pots - can someone confirm?).

There's so much more to write but I'll leave it at this for now.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 PM

absolutely a difference in pickups!
problem is, it is subjective! all you can do is play and listen to many different pickups to get an idea of what YOU like! then, buy it and install it!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Some great replies so far.

I will add that asking what makes a pickup better is like asking what makes an acoustic better. There are many specs that add up to greater than a sum of its parts - wire gauge and material, number of windings, magnet shape and size, magnet type/pole piece type, and overall shape.

In the end, there are so many subtleties to how pickups behave - how they sound as gain is added, how they sound as the tone pot is rolled off, how the attack changes as the dynamics of your playing change (eg whether they compress and whether they "bloom").

None of these things can be accounted for by a spec sheet. Sure, magnet type, resistance and inductance can give you a clue as to what category of tone it might fall into, that would be like trying to predict an acoustic' stone based on body size, top wood and back wood. There's tremendous variation in quality and in the end result.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Those answers have helped a lot. I have been trying to figure out what all the differences are. When I go to a webpage and listen to previews, I can barely detect any differences in the pickups. It all sounds good to me.

But knowing the differences helps. It will allow me know what to listen out for. It sounds like you have to be a connoisseur (like finding the aromatics in coffee).

Sometimes, I hear a recording and the guitar tone alone just knocks me out. Other times, I hear the guitar, but it is just a piece of the music. I like both, they are both enjoyable. I try to scale back my 'tone' and volume when I play with others, but I would like to have an amazing sound for solo too (not that I have any nice solo arrangements yet). I'm learning that solo tones and band tones are two different things, and this is just another piece of the puzzle around the sonic space of each vocal and instrument.

Right now, I am satisfied between a Standard Telecaster and Mustang 3. Honestly, I think those two pieces of gear cured any potential gas... they are amazing. But I still enjoy looking (and there are a few things I still want ).

When I walk into a guitar store, I don't have time to truly test out a guitar and amp. I'm thinking hours for each combination. But I love analyzing and studying. Maybe one day I'll get it all categorized down into my dream tone.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 PM

My two cents: There is certainly differences in tone among all the various pickups, but I think the quality of the wiring harness components might be just as important. I also think that experimenting with different strings can lead to significant improvements in tone. It seems to me that different guitars and pickups respond differently to different strings. I think a lot of people like to use the same type of strings on all their guitars. This might help keep the feel somewhat uniform but it might not be optimal for bringing out the optimal tone of each instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars