The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 AM

Default Music Man Axis Super Sport?

Anyone here have experience with the Music Man Axis S.S. by Ernie Ball? I am intrigued by the size of the guitar and how big the sound is. I want to know if it would be a good first time electric for me? The neck fits my hand and the price fits my budget as it is discounted about $800 off original price. Also what low powered tube amp would complement it in the $500 price range?
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 AM

I have had a lot of experience with a ton of electrics, before I came over to the "dark side".

IMHO the Axis SS is one of the very best electrics out there; when my daughter graduated to a "good" electric, that's what I bought her.

Build quality is right there with PRS and Suhr but price isn't; for whatever reasons, EBMM don't hold their value unless its a Petrucci or EVH (discontinued). So, it's a buyers market. They are fabulously comfortable, due to their small size, and the sound is BIG. The bridge HB on the Axis is killer and not available aftermarket.

The only negatives are that many players can't cope with the relatively narrow nut (41mm vs the usual 43mm for an electric); first time I tried an EVH I hated it. However, I now love it for electric playing. The tung oil feel is fabulous also.

The Axis won't sound like a strat when tapped (no HB guitar does), but there are great sounds in there that get you in that direction. The HB sound is like a less muddy, more articulate LP. The Silhouette Special is the other "Swiss Army Knife" of the range.

Can you tell I love these guitars?

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by steveh; 08-17-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Abbreviation of "Axis Super Sport" is not allowed! Don't have that problem on the EBMM forum...
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I have a couple of those and would definitely recommend them as premium first-time electrics. The easy-playing neck is one of the strongest points of these guitars. The electronics are also very good and these models evolved from the original Axis which evolved from the classic Ernie Ball EVH guitars. Be sure to share some pics if you get one!

JR
Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Great guitars, great necks in particular. Alas, I only own an inexpensive copy of one - an OLP MM4 (Silhouette copy) - but you won't go wrong with a MusicMan.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 AM

I demo'ed it yesterday afternoon at G.C. after a not so great round of golf. Needless to say the guitar was easy to play as golf wasn't. I have small stubby hands and the neck on this guitar is just what I need. Very fast and mobile. I played it on a Blackstar 5W tube amp and in my opinion the amp did it no justice. There was a terrible buzz when playing it with gain about half way and volume about 1/4 way it wasn't the guitar it was the amp or the cable that was the culprit. Same buzz with a USA Pro Tele, which by the way was high on my list until I found the M.M..
Not sure when I can pick up an electric as I just bought (3 weeks ago) a Martin DCPA4-Rosewood that is just awesome, IMNSHO, a little soon to spring it on my wife as of yet. It would be a bit selfish of me to focus on another axe, even if I am selling my other acoustic. Tks for all the input guys.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I have a couple of those and would definitely recommend them as premium first-time electrics. The easy-playing neck is one of the strongest points of these guitars. The electronics are also very good and these models evolved from the original Axis which evolved from the classic Ernie Ball EVH guitars. Be sure to share some pics if you get one!

JR
I found out that (can't remember his name) the designer of the strat who worked with Fender is one of the designers of the M.M.. You can see it in the design of the head-stock the similarities between the Fender and the Axis S.S..

Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Well went to G.C. to possibly buy the M.M. and a fellow picked it up this Am. It was a great buy for $800 off, I may have tipped off someone here to the deal did anybody here pick it up named Jason? I am happy to know that it found a good home, glad I could help.

Will start looking at something else, as this was not meant to be!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars