The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Has anyone order a Taylor 1 11/16"?

All,

After over 1.5 years not being comfortable with my 810, I am considering special ordering a GS with a 1 11/16" nut-width.

Have any of you special ordered a Taylor with the more narrow nut, and are you pleased? Is it the same profile as the standard 1 3/4"

Really interested in your feedback.

Thanks,

'94 Strat
'05 Taylor 810
'05 Gibson J45
'07 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Old 12-21-2007, 03:17 PM

My original '97 710 is a 1 an 11/16. So when I ordered my '02 TS 314, I specified a 1 and 11/16. I love them both. My recent GSK was ordered with the standard 1 and 3/4. I just decided that it was time for me to get with this nut width. I also have a Rainsong with a 1 and 3/4. The GSK is fine. I might have been happier with a 1 and 11/16, but no problem. I really think that I will never like a nut and neck as much as my '97 710. I have also found out that it's not just the nut width but also the neck profile. The Rainsong feels completely different and I really do like it.

I would talk to my dealer some if I were you and maybe directly with Taylor. The only thing I will caution you about, is resale. I had a little problem selling a 615 I had and some of the problem was because of the 1 and 11/16 nut.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 PM

My '99 814 has the narrower neck....I love it--plays very nicely!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 PM

I am considering ordering a GC7 with a 1 11/16 nut. How long does a special order take? How much more expensive is this one little change?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:20 AM

I have a Taylor 110 with 1 11/16 and the neck feels fine, just narrower or smaller if you will.I see no big deal changing between guitars though since Im just strumming 95 percent of the time when I play my 110. I use it as my vacation/ grill outside patio pool guitar. Simple fun strumming stuff so the spacing and neck are a non issue.

There's no reason to not order you a GS with the narrower neck if thats what your comfortable with, those necks are great and were the "stuff" not long ago. Get whatever your comfortable with, I doubt there would an upcharge if your custom ordering? They should give you the discount since those are less wood used and they likely have a huge stash of those. who know's, call Taylor, those people are really cool on the phone!

Sammy

Last edited by vti814ce; 12-22-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbv58 View Post
All,

After over 1.5 years not being comfortable with my 810, I am considering special ordering a GS with a 1 11/16" nut-width.

Have any of you special ordered a Taylor with the more narrow nut, and are you pleased? Is it the same profile as the standard 1 3/4"

Really interested in your feedback.

Thanks,
I thought about it for a while too... But I talked to my local taylor certified guitar neck and he proposed a pretty nifty Idea so I would feel comfortable with my 1 3/4 necks without spending a lot of extra money... He simply installed the 1 11/16 nuts on my 1 3/4 necks. Sure the neck is not skinnier, but the strings are more comfortable and I have noticed I really like the larger neck and the closer strings... just an idea...

Commissioned
Doerr Legacy Select African Blackwood/ Swiss (2011)
Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbv58 View Post
All,

Not quite, in that it is not just narrower but also slightly thinner. If you've played a Big Baby or a 100/200 series guitar, then that's exactly what you'd get if you ordered a 1 11/16" nut width neck.

Richard
Old 12-25-2007, 02:22 AM

Location: Wheeling, West Virginia area, 1 hour from Pittsburgh, PA

Yes there is a substantial surcharge, even though it's less wood, because I just had the same dilemma, and called Taylor last week. I dont think we're allowed to talk $ on here, so you'll have to email me, or call them. It's not like ordering a custom guitar.....but I think they called it something like a standard custom option, or something like that. At any rate, I checked with Jim, and it's considered a custom order through him, and disqualifies it from the return / upgrade policy.
I really find it hard to believe why Taylor wouldn't make either available, other than just being convenient for themselves. They obviously manufacture them, if they're an option, and they used them in the past, and many players prefer one or the other, and the necks seem to be easily removed and replaced. Just seems like a really bad business decision to me.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar1580 View Post
Yes there is a substantial surcharge, even though it's less wood, because I just had the same dilemma, and called Taylor last week. I dont think we're allowed to talk $ on here
That rule applies to retail prices of guitars. As for one option like the 1 11/16" nut/neck, well last time I did it, it cost me $120. I did think that was steep, but I assumed that was because it was for a 600 series guitar, for which they would have to specially produce a narrower neck. With mahogany-necked guitars (ie almost every Taylor), they are routinely producing the 1 11/16" version since they use that on the various lower-priced series, and in that situation I agree that a surcharge seems unfair.

Still, Taylor does make either neck available, and considers neck width subsitutions a routine matter when you order your guitar, as stated here.

Richard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion