The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
Sure, but it's the most logical way..
Why, when makers can use CNC machinery and lazer etched compensation. It maintains Leo's original design, and there is that extra little tone thing that is there
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Why, when makers can use CNC machinery and lazer etched compensation. It maintains Leo's original design, and there is that extra little tone thing that is there
Well, I'm not religious about it. I doubt very much if anyone can pick out the "tone" difference in my six piece bridge vs. leo's original. It's not like Leo had advanced testing methods back in his day.

But if you like it, no worries.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not religious about it. I doubt very much if anyone can pick out the "tone" difference in my six piece bridge vs. leo's original. It's not like Leo had advanced testing methods back in his day.

I'm really just kidding you... In fact, I almost changed my Tele to a 6 saddle bridge before I tried the Rutters Barrel saddles. I do know that good 3 saddle systems intonate just as well as 6 saddles.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I'm really just kidding you... In fact, I almost changed my Tele to a 6 saddle bridge before I tried the Rutters Barrel saddles. I do know that good 3 saddle systems intonate just as well as 6 saddles.
That is good to know. I just imagine the six saddle model is easier.. since I already know how to use it.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 PM

Have a Fender '52AVRI Tele - I have not touched the factory settings on the three saddle bridge and it is (surprisingly) one of the best intonated guitars I own.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Really appreciate the insight in this thread! I've just ordered a MIM FSR Butterscotch Tele that is set to arrive Monday, and intonation and pickup noise are the only concerns I have about the guitar. It's great to know that there are solutions if intonation is a problem. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
+1; used to use flatwound 12's on my '82 Tele '52 RI - the way Leo intended - and had no problems even with the original-style brass barrel saddles. Trick here is a good setup - get the action low enough and you'll never realize you're playing 12's...
I agree. And don't be afraid of shims on Fenders...i got the action on my tele and jazzmaster below 1.5mm at the 12th fret--and no buzzes!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I have a MIM Tele with 6 saddles. The year is 2014, everything is stock. I will be having Charles Tauber do my setup over the next few days and we will see what his take is on it. I really appreciate your comments, it could well be that the intonation is not the issue in itself. Will keep you updated. It sounds just awful above the 12th fret by I have never had a setup done on it and it will be interesting to see what the culprit is. In the meantime, any comments you wish to add are very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 AM

i have a 58 american vintage from 2012. the vintage frets and radius do make a difference compared to the american standards and other non-traditionally set up teles. i did my own setup using fender's online setup instructions. it came out really well with only a couple of tweaks

i believe tho, that the 3 saddle is the only way to go for the extra mass and the sound it creates. mine came with stainless steel that were too soft sounding so i changed to chandler cold rolled steel compensated saddles and it was the icing on the cake. everyone who has played this tele wants to take it home with them. i don't know how i lived so long without one. ha!

a, now, fairly old method of setting the intonation is by jerry donahue. here is his method.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...addle_up_your/

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecovenant View Post
Really appreciate the insight in this thread! I've just ordered a MIM FSR Butterscotch Tele that is set to arrive Monday, and intonation and pickup noise are the only concerns I have about the guitar. It's great to know that there are solutions if intonation is a problem. Fingers crossed.
I've owned an FSR BSB for a couple of years now. First thing I did (which I've done with all of my Teles) was swap out the bridge for a Gotoh 6 saddle. The idea that the six saddle bridges cause a loss of twang is way over blown. I also dropped a set of 52 Reissue pups in this one and it twangs to no end.

If you do decide to go with the Gotoh one thing to be aware of is that once it's installed you may have to shim the neck just a bit to adjust for the extra thickness of the base plate.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 01-23-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:35 AM

Default +1 on the Gotoh

DESERTRAT1 has done exactly the same thing I did when I got my Nashville Deluxe tele. I got tired of messing with the "vintage-style" saddles (this one was 6 saddle barrel-type) and replaced it with the Gotoh Modern Tele bridge...big improvement with intonation, crisp tone and no funky, uncomfortable "ashtray" edges.

BTW, I also replaced the tuners with some Schaller locking ones...bit overkill since this is a hardtail, but again, the "vintage-style" slotted post tuners, while they did their job well, were just annoying when changing strings.

I think sometimes they go way overboard with the vintage thing. Obviously I wouldn't alter a true vintage axe, but putting this stuff on new guitars is silly... I prefer the much-improved reliability of modern hardware for an axe that's going on stage with me.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I have a '93 52RI that came with the three barrel brass saddle bridge and a 6 saddle assembly. Dead easy to tell the difference in tone and feel as a player. Not sure if a listener would notice. Brass saddles all the way for me!
A little bend in the adjustment screw of the middle saddle sorted any G string intonation issues.
Btw, the biggest intonation killer on a Tele comes from adjusting to the neck pu too close to the strings. It will make the guitar sound terrible. Learned that a long time ago.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Thanks so much everyone. I have a MIM Tele with 6 saddles. The year is 2014, everything is stock. I will be having Charles Tauber do my setup over the next few days and we will see what his take is on it. I really appreciate your comments, it could well be that the intonation is not the issue in itself. Will keep you updated. It sounds just awful above the 12th fret by I have never had a setup done on it and it will be interesting to see what the culprit is. In the meantime, any comments you wish to add are very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Well Davis, you've got a decent chance of getting it intonated by investing in a pro setup and you have six saddles. If he recommends a new bridge and saddles in the end I would go for it since it's essentially a brand new tele. The challenge you will have is that it's an MIM where the fretwork and straightness of the neck may not necessarily be the best that Fender has to offer. Now before the MIM owners here get ruffled, there are some MIM teles that i'm sure have good fretwork and the intonation is perfect, but the nature of MIM Fenders is that they are less labor intensive (getting the frets aligned) and certainly have low quality bridges. So if your luthier tells you the neck and frets are great but you need an upgraded bridge, go for it. Or if you really want to do it right, get an older used american standard or newer american deluxe. The tonewoods, pickups and everything else will be much better on these models. Good luck

Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
Fender Limited Edition Hot Rod '52 Telecaster
94 Fender Telecaster, 51 Nocaster Pickups
89 Fender Stratocaster
2011 Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM

I've got a 72, with original 3 barrel bridge, and never noticed a problem. Haven't made any adjustment to it in decades!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM

I've had a few and my Thin Skin '68 AVRI has been my keeper. It and my '52 AVRI are probably the most crude or basic Fenders I've had. The former was very good, same for the current.

Neither are as precise as my set neck electric with high end Tone Pros bridge but they're very different animals. Somehow I've had most happiness with basic 3 saddle Telecasters even if the '68 style is not really that traditional.

The Thin Skin came with an optional 6 saddle bridge. When I had 3 telecasters under the roof as well as some after market parts and pickups I tried different combos and concluded that a Telecaster is a Telecaster, that some efforts have diminishing returns, and that for some reason I like the old style bridge and saddles. All that fooling around supported how important a good day is for good results, and same for the amp.

The photos are original, and my going from brass 52 style and Keystones back to stock. The original vintage vs Nocaster vs Keystone pickups (modern wiring for all) made more difference than saddles. Still stuff I bet a non player would not recognize.

Part of the Telecaster fun and beauty is how easy it is to do all the setup and testing or experimenting yourself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars