The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Tele Intonation

Are other Tele players here experiencing intonation problems? I certainly do and will take it in to my tech to get it looked at.

Apparently, and I had no idea, Tele has intonation issues historically and there are a few fixes for it.

http://kitarablogi.com/2015/01/22/th...of-intonation/

Anyone care to chime in and comment on how they approached this issue?

As you know, unless you correct it, either the solos above the 12th will be awful (my current setup) or lower will be bad.

In the article above he shows 3 different methods for dealing with the issue.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 PM

Heavy strings and a wound G on my tele--no intonation issues.

A six saddle bridge will solve 'em if you don't wanna go the heavy strings route. I've also heard people having good luck with compensated saddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-22-2015, 02:59 PM

The 3-barrel saddle Teles are definitely a challenge to intonate well......unless you replace the non-intonated saddles with GOOD intonated saddles. My Tele has Don Rutter intonated brass saddles and is beautifully intonated. I use it often in a Worship band because it is so well intonated and modern Worship music demands spot-on intonation. BTW, I run 9's on my Tele and still get spot-on intonation.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Davis, I many T-Type, different brands, and all have 6 saddles except my Suhr Vintage T. It has a 3 saddle Wilkerson which is completely adjustable for intonation. I do not have intonation issues. If you are using the 3 saddle Fender saddles you will have to live with it. I recommend the Wilkerson saddles and you will have no issues if everything else is right. If you have problems above the 12th fret only and the rest of the neck is fine then you could have a bridge placement issue or a fret placement issue or possible a short scale neck on a 25.5 bridge setup. This would do that if you adjust the intonation at the 12 th fret. I am assuming you have checked everything else such as loose tuners (common in the winter) or loose neck mounting screws. If you have high action, intonation issues are more of a problem. Darwin
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Paul Iverson put angled brass saddles on my '72 Custom and it sounds great to me...
Old 01-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Darwin is SO correct about other issues affecting intonation! I would add to be sure the neck/body angle is correct. But, if you are using Fender saddles, I bet that is the problem.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Are other Tele players here experiencing intonation problems? I certainly do and will take it in to my tech to get it looked at.

Apparently, and I had no idea, Tele has intonation issues historically and there are a few fixes for it.

As you know, unless you correct it, either the solos above the 12th will be awful (my current setup) or lower will be bad.

Hi Davis,
I need to know what tele your playing (year, model, type of bridge [six saddle, 3 barrel, 3 barrel compensated). I know alot about teles and bridges but first need to identify what your expectations are (intonation) and your background with other guitars. What other electrics do you play?

Thanks,
Craig

Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
Fender Limited Edition Hot Rod '52 Telecaster
94 Fender Telecaster, 51 Nocaster Pickups
89 Fender Stratocaster
2011 Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Tele Intonation

A got myself a used Classic 60s Tele in September. It has what I feel are the worst 2-string saddles I've ever encountered. After a few weeks I bought a Fender vintage 6-saddle bridge and made the switch. No intonation problems, the single groove on each saddle keeps each string in the right place and the sustain and "twang" (for want of a better word) is better with this bridge.

My G&L ASAT Classic also has individual saddles and is a fantastic guitar to play and gig with. There are many Tele fans who swear by the traditional 3-saddle bridge, mainly claiming tone as their priority over intonation, but to be honest my experience is the reverse, I got better tone with the new bridge.

For what it's worth, you should try the Jerry Donahue method of setting up a 3-saddle guitar (if I remember correctly you can find it on the Seymour Duncan website). I used this method for a while before settling on the 6-saddle bridge and it works pretty well!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM

My old Tele has the 3-barrel brass saddles. I set the intonation for the low E, the unwound 3rd G and the high E. The rest seem to take care of themselves. This method works well for me.

Luck, Bill.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM

3 beers will solve anything .
There are many way to deal with this .
If you have the rest of the band intonate to you , no one will notice .
Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Heavy strings and a wound G on my tele--no intonation issues...
+1; used to use flatwound 12's on my '82 Tele '52 RI - the way Leo intended - and had no problems even with the original-style brass barrel saddles. Trick here is a good setup - get the action low enough and you'll never realize you're playing 12's...
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I switched out the bridge in my '68 for one with six individual saddles.

Intonation trumps being cool and/or a religious devotion to historical accuracy... for me anyway.

I haven't noticed an iota of "tone" difference.

Of course I kept the original bridge in case I decide to sell it, and someone wants that "tone." You know... that poorly intonated "tone"...

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Apparently, and I had no idea, Tele has intonation issues historically and there are a few fixes for it.
Hi DW…
I have a 6 saddle bridge in mine, and it's setup properly for height, and the octaves are intonated closely (with a Peterson tuner).

I don't experience out of the ordinary intonation issues.

Mine is a Squeir from India which I've put better pickups and a better bridge (the whole tray) in.

I've never heard Telecasters have out-of-the-ordianary intonation issues.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I switched out the bridge in my '68 for one with six individual saddles.

Intonation trumps being cool and/or a religious devotion to historical accuracy... for me anyway.

I haven't noticed an iota of "tone" difference.

Of course I kept the original bridge in case I decide to sell it, and someone wants that "tone." You know... that poorly intonated "tone"...
I agree that there is little tone difference between the six and three saddle bridges. But I don't agree that you have to go with the six-saddle bridge to get good intonation. That is just not true.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I agree that there is little tone difference between the six and three saddle bridges. But I don't agree that you have to go with the six-saddle bridge to get good intonation. That is just not true.

Sure, but it's the most logical way..

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars