The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Dipping my toes in the blues

I've been an acoustic guy forever but have decided to try doing a little blues, electrically.

Anyone familiar with the Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet G5434? I've been offered a pretty good deal on one and am seeking input.

Thanks - David
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM

You can play blues on acoustics. That's almost all that I play on mine!

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Yep, I play blues on my acoustics...probably got GAS
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Hi David. I'm not familiar with that guitar but you can play blues on almost any electric - diversity from Strats to Les Pauls / single coils to humbuckers.

Your amp will help define your tone and should be considered ~ 50% of your electric tone. Same with the guitar pickups.

I'm looking at that guitar on MF ... are those pickups the same size as Seymour Duncan / DiMarzio humbuckers? Can they be replaced?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:41 PM

If your point is that you want an electric to play the blues with a slightly overdriven sound there are a lot of great options. It can be played on anything but as with acoustic it comes down to fit, quality, finish, and budget. Don't forget something to play through such as an amp or pedals. Lots of less expensive ways such as modeling apps, software nowadays but that requires a guitar interface. I have all these myriads of options and it's definitely a journey.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 PM

The Pro-Jet is a cool guitar. It could certainly do the blues! Get the right amp and you would be good to go! Not known as a blues guitar, but certainly highly capable.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 PM

Dru....can't address the pu comparisons but it is my understanding they can be replaced.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 PM

I' m not looking for a heavy overdrive at this point...but that's not to be out of the realm either. Really looking for the BB King sound...not that I can play that style presently.

And I get the amp part....have a friend who's gonna help me with that.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 AM

Teles are very popular among Blues players and these can be had new for about the same price as a used Electromatic. I get some very nice Blues tones out of this one using the neck humbucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5OiHHZgIc

G&L Tribute Blues Boy.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 01-23-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:37 PM

The first thing I look at with an electric guitar to figure out what it can sound like is the pickups (and of course amp & cab will have a lot more to say about that). The Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet G5434 has filtertrons which are a brighter and slightly punchier type of humbucker. Haven't heard one but as a general rule I think brighter pickups tend to give you better (ie less muddy) cleans. Guitars with single coils like strats and teles will get a little brighter and punchier again.

Players with single coil guitars quite often seem to be looking for ways to make them fatter and players with humbuckers quite often look for ways to make them brighter / less muddy. Filtertrons fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum but anything will work for blues.

Take a look at Epiphone Dots and Sheratons if you'd like to use the same style of guitar as BB King.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
Teles are very popular among Blues players and these can be had new for about the same price as a used Electromatic. I get some very nice Blues tones out of this one using the neck humbucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5OiHHZgIc

G&L Tribute Blues Boy.

I second the Tele for blues. The neck lends itself to great bends, the way its built, there's lots of room on the fretboard to play with notes. The amp is going to be a huge component of your sound. The Fender Mustang 3 is a good value, the Blues' Jr. comes in at 6 bills. The smaller mustangs are good too for less money, the 3 has like 100 watts, way too much for home playing. But the sound is as close as you will get to an expensive amp.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

Take a look at Epiphone Dots and Sheratons if you'd like to use the same style of guitar as BB King.
Great suggestion.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 AM

of course there is the Epi BB King model as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 PM

If you pull out an Epi BB King you'd better be prepared to prove you've got chops. Lol
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM

I am seeing more and more schectors show up . I am sold on this brand

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars