The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 PM

Default Eastman T386 Advice

Hi All,

Hoping to get some advice from some of you that might have experience with the Eastman T386. Been looking into this model and I think it's what I'm after.

I mainly play acoustic but I'm looking for a versatile electric to have on hand. Being that it would be my only electric I would want a versatile instrument. Styles of music I'm interested in are blues, classic rock, jazz and reggae pretty much in that order.

Do you think this instrument could cover that much ground? Also, I should mention that I mainly play for myself at home, need a Swiss Army knife guitar that can handle these genres acceptably.

Feel free to recommend an alternative, the only other electrics I have personal experience with are Strats.

Thanks folks,
Ahmer
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 PM

I've got one in my stable. It doesn't see as much play time since I bought my Gibson, but it's a very capable guitar nonetheless.

They're a little brighter than a Gibson unplugged (maple neck vs mahogany). The stock pickups are pretty decent, the pots and switches are cheaper Alpha brand but are quite usable. They are very clean sounding, and very suitable for blues and jazz. They don't have the heavy sound of a Les Paul for harder rock sounds, but they do have a nice midrange punch that is really nice overdriven. Reggae is the wild card here though. I would probably lean towards a Tele or maybe a Strat for that nice percussive bark you hear in reggae playing.

Another thing to consider is Eastman electrics have a full 1 3/4" neck width. That's an uncommon feature in an electric. If you prefer a wide neck, you may find that a big plus.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Hi

Thanks for the input, that's very useful info. I listen to more reggae than I play so that's not really a deal breaker for me. I would however consider adding a Tele with a Seth Lover HB in the neck at some point in the future if I feel I'm really missing something, always liked the sound of them. The nut width is fine, same as my Martins. Just gotta see if any dealers near me get one in stock now.

Anyone else with any input?

Ahmer
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 PM
.tom the übergeek

I was seriously considering one but could not find one locally. I would probably opt for the T486 to get the Duncan Pickups. However, I found a super clean Gibson Memphis 335 Studio used and grabbed it. It also has a Maple neck and really is a ton of fun.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

The Eastman 335 style is one of the better deals around, IMO. I picked one up used and replaced the electronics and pickups in it. Now it has a Bourns/Switchcraft 50's wiring harness and Seth Lover pickups. The guitar really sings. I think Reggae is more of a single coil sound, but everything else you mentioned is easily covered by the Eastman.

But really, any 335 style semi hollow will accomplish the task. I just think Eastman found a unique slot with their sub $1000 nitro finish guitars
Old 02-01-2015, 12:16 PM

I can't think of a better choice in the under-$1K bracket - and since you asked for suggestions, if you can up your budget and/or have something to trade one of these might fill the bill:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBDSDCCT
http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESSD14

BTW, what kind of amp will you be using - got some recommendations there as well if you're interested...
Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I can't up the budget right now. Honestly, I prefer acoustic any day of the week, just wanted one electric to mess around with. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Eastman T386. Also considering the Ibanez AS73 as a cheaper alternative, any thoughts on those? They can be had for about $200-250, might be a good option to try out for a bit then upgrade to an Eastman later.

akhan
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Ibanez makes a great value semi hollow. They are my top pick for the budget line semi hollow. Their higher lines have electronics that don't need to be changed out at all (the as103 and maybe the as93, I don't remember.)

Both are great options - its a bit of a goldilocks choice. Ultimately, how much do you want to spend? If you can afford a T386, you'll never regret it.

Steve
Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Default How about an Epiphone?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...=epiphone%20es
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Default very good guitar

Within past 12 months, our local shop has had 2 eastman 386s AND 2 Gibson 335s.

1st Eastman (sunburst) was good. Equal to the used Gibson 335, but not as good as the new Gibson 335.

2nd Eastman (cherry red) was stellar. Significantly better than either Gibson. The instrument rang like a tuning fork.

The Eastmans were $800. The used Gibson was $1600. The new Gibson was $2800.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Keeps coming down to the same models everywhere I've looked. Ibanez AS73, Epi Es-335 Pro or the Eastman T386 for a bit more money. Found a Epi ES-335 Pro not far from me for $325 with the case, might have to go check that out and see how it plays/feels. I've already checked out the Ibanez just not ready to pull the trigger just yet, need to check out the others first.

akhan
Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Akhan,

take this below with a grain of salt, of course. YMMV and this is my humble opinion etc:

You may buy a budget guitar (like the epi or ibanez) and be completely happy with it for a long time. Plenty of folks are on that path and its a great path. I owned a korean Ibanez AS80 for many years and never modified it. It was great as is, but it had the old famous Ibanez Super58 pickups which are stellar.

Or, you may be like most of us, who buy a budget 335 and then get the itch for greener grass which often means an electronics upgrade. if you're not handy with a soldering iron, figure $300 - $400 for a total upgrade of wiring, pots and pickups. If you shop carefully and do your own work, figure $150 - $250 for upgrades. You'll then end up with a guitar that sounds in the ballpark of the real thing (Gibson 335) but won't play as well. It will be a very fine instrument for a very good price.

The Eastman will play as well as the Gibson, but (again, IMO) will have subpar electronics. Yep, the wiring, pots etc all make a difference in tone and most discerning ears will hear the difference. If you one day upgrade the Eastman, you'll have a guitar than plays and sounds every bit as good as a Gibby.

Both are great options. That Epi 335 you mentioned is a great instrument for that price. I can't believe some of the quality coming out of the Chinese factories these days - really good stuff for the money.

Throw in some Duncan antiquities or Lollars and wiring and you've got a really good instrument for under $600.

Do the same with an Eastman and you've got a world class nitro finish guitar for around $1000.

Next step up is a used Heritage H535 for around $1500.

It really all comes down to how much you want to outlay upfront.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've checked out a few of the guitars that have been recommended and I've decided that for my needs and budget the Ibanez AS73 is the best fit. Aside from the guitar I'll also need to invest in a small amp, maybe a used Blues Jr. or something along those lines, gotta investigate amps now.

Thanks again everyone.

Ahmer
Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 PM

Does anyone know, will a Gibson abr-1 fit on the eastman T386 ?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 PM

The Gibson bridges usually use the smaller threaded studs with thumbwheels. I haven't seen too many other guitars that use that.

StewMac has a variety of aftermarket bridges that should fit, and they list the dimensions so you can verify before you order. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars