The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 PM

I use all of the fingerlngs for G that have been mentioned. Which I pick depends on what I'm going to move from and to and on what additional notes I may want to play while on the chord. Regardless, I most often use 320033 for G and move all fingers at once.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I am trying to break the habit of placing my index finger first on a C chord and my ring finger first on a G chord. Like most beginners I try to get these fingers placed first and then build the rest of the chord around them.

So, to that end I am now fingering a G with my pinky on the high e and second and third fingers. When I transition to C i just drop the 2nd and third fingers down a string, lift my pinky and press my index finger down on the b string first fret.

Logically and speed wise it makes more sense. But at this point it is still slower and awkward than what I have been doing. Is it worth trying to develop this new way? I think eventually it would create a smoother faster transition but right now just feels awkward and slow.

What say you?
Do what fits the situation. A set fingering for chord changes will nail you when you try to incorporate a melody line, or perhaps on some bass line walks.

For example an excerpt from a piece of mine:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM

A good exercise is to start every chord with lowest pitch note and work your way up to high E. This breaks habits such as relying on the index as an anchor. Also many strumming patterns start with a bass note, this way you always have that down first.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Do what fits the situation. A set fingering for chord changes will nail you when you try to incorporate a melody line, or perhaps on some bass line walks.

Is that guitarpro notation, rick? (Needs some cleaning up...)
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Is that guitarpro notation, rick? (Needs some cleaning up...)
Powertab I did about 10 years ago. Could get rid of the tied notes though to me it's easier to sight read as is.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Check out this video on how to make transitioning between chords easier...

Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post

This is why I keep stressing with new players that they should focus on learning the techniques they need in order to play songs they want to play, and just keep working that until it sounds good. Then learn another song, and perhaps something new. I see SO many folks either get diverted into technical trivia that really doesn't make them play any better, or they become overwhelmed by the minutia and give up.

For example: I've been playing slide for a couple of years now, but only started a couple of months ago doing so without the pick, because there was just no way to play the song I needed to learn without using the more traditional fingers-only approach. Pretty soon I will be equally adept (I'm not saying "good"!) at both techniques. The key is that I didn't develop both then apply them, I picked one and sort of rode it as far as I could; I was then both physically and mentally ready to expand on what I knew when I needed to do so.

Not the only way, to be sure, but if the point of all this is to play music it makes sense to me. Have fun and play music with a few techniques, add as you go.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM

Im pinky on as well for 90%. C-G-C fingerpicking arpeggio is my favorite chord change.

Depending on chord changes other fingers should be used and practiced for clean and smooth transitions.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachoholic View Post
A good exercise is to start every chord with lowest pitch note and work your way up to high E. This breaks habits such as relying on the index as an anchor. Also many strumming patterns start with a bass note, this way you always have that down first.

I completely agree.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ss…

It's easy enough to keep the B on the A string. Muting (for strummers) is a matter of relaxing the ring finger till the pad contacts the adjacent string. It's not a separate and unique move. It's kind of like harnessing a natural tendency towards laziness.

One of the reasons a 4-finger-G (see pic below) stays in balance is it removes the doubled B note.

A doubled third of any chord - to my ear - creates a chord where the 3rd becomes more dominant than the Root - even when the root is lower in pitch.

If that's the sound you want it's easy to keep it in. Then you surrender the option for two fingers to be free to do 'other' musical things.

As a fingerstyler, I limit the voicings of my chords (deliberately) all the time. I only play the strings I want to sound.

Good post Larry, something to keep in mind.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
This is why I keep stressing with new players that they should focus on learning the techniques they need in order to play songs they want to play, and just keep working that until it sounds good. Then learn another song, and perhaps something new. I see SO many folks either get diverted into technical trivia that really doesn't make them play any better, or they become overwhelmed by the minutia and give up.

For example: I've been playing slide for a couple of years now, but only started a couple of months ago doing so without the pick, because there was just no way to play the song I needed to learn without using the more traditional fingers-only approach. Pretty soon I will be equally adept (I'm not saying "good"!) at both techniques. The key is that I didn't develop both then apply them, I picked one and sort of rode it as far as I could; I was then both physically and mentally ready to expand on what I knew when I needed to do so.

Not the only way, to be sure, but if the point of all this is to play music it makes sense to me. Have fun and play music with a few techniques, add as you go.
I'm doing the same in my approach both in terms of technique and learning/integrating music theory with the songs I am playing now. Great advice.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

All new guitar players start with putting one finger down. As time goes on you will be able to make chords without even thinking about it.

I have always used my ring finger on the e and I can transition to a c pretty darn quick. I have recently started practicing using the pinky e because it does make for better availability of other chords.

I am self taught and every instructional material I have ever seen says to put #3 on the e string, so that's how I learned a G and old habits are hard to break.

Also Bluegrass and flat pickers also finger the B string, D note, a lot when playing a G so the way you are doing it can't happen. Actually a lot songs use what I call a D note G.

Practice both ways is my advice. I don't particularly like fingering the b string because I just don't like that extra ring, but some songs like Feel Like Making love, it works beautifully.

Last edited by SFCRetired; 08-22-2015 at 08:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write