The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Yamaha Thr10 or Thr 10c for surf guitar?

Hi. I'm about to buy a classic player Jaguar special (single coil pups) and I plan to buy one of these little Yamaha amps (my 55th b-day coming up!). I know that a couple of folks here have one of these amps and I was just hoping for some input. I want to play surf and some spaghetti western type stuff just for my own amusement. I'm thinking that the Thr10c will be the most appropriate choice for my purposes. Any thoughts or advice?
Thank you!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:41 PM

At that price I would buy a Roland Cube Street.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-C...09-i1380061.gc

Rule the street with your guitar, a mic, and Roland!

Roland

View all items from this brand
The Roland CUBE Street is the amp for you if you're a musician on the move. Whether you're running to a rehearsal, lesson, street gig, or any situation that requires portability and versatility, the battery powered CUBE Street guitar amp is a marvel that's ready to travel fast. The CUBE Street sounds amazing and is capable of high-volume output thanks to dual digital power amps and a pair of high-performance neodymium speakers. And just wait until you hear the built-in effects and amp models!

Great Sound to Go

Roland CUBE amps are famous for performance that exceeds their physical size, and the CUBE Street is no exception. With two high performance neodymium speakers onboard, this amp sounds incredible, and is capable of high-volume output that defies its physical dimensions. Best of all, it can run for up to 15 hours on just six AA alkaline batteries.

8 Amps Onboard

More than meets the eye, the CUBE Street is actually 8 different amps in one via its built-in COSM amp models. From tube-driven blues classics to modern metal stacks, Roland's COSM technology is world famous for capturing every nuance of the original amps -- from the preamp and circuits to the speaker.

Bonus Features

The CUBE Street amplifier is chock full of extra features to make your gigs easier, including a built-in chromatic tuner and 2 digital effects processors. In addition to the aforementioned COSM amp models, you can choose from six of Roland's famous effects to enrich your sound.

Portable PA

It's a guitar amp and mini PA system in one! With its dual-channel architecture and XRL/1/4" Microphone input, you can sing and play guitar through one convenient amplifier. There's even a delay and reverb devoted to the Mic/Line channel.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. That Roland sure looks like a lot of amp! I'll take a close look at it. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I have a 10C and I also own a blacktop tele baritone. Playing down by the bridge I can get some VERY nice surf tones with this combo. I would definately go for the 10c.

I have not owned or played the Cube Street so I can't comment on it. I do have a Roland Microcube and a Cube 30. The Yamaha is better than both for low volume playing.

Now, if you need versatility AND loud, consider a Fender Mustang 3, v2. Also a very nice amp with good tones. I have one of those too. But, for bedroom play or recording, the tones from the 10c are just hard to beat.

So, one vote here for the 10c.

Todd
Old 09-28-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanks BoneDigger. That is good to hear about the Thr10c. Circumstances determine that low volume is in order for at least the next year or so.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
...I'm about to buy a classic player Jaguar special ...I want to play surf and some spaghetti western type stuff just for my own amusement...Any thoughts or advice?...Circumstances determine that low volume is in order for at least the next year or so...
For what you intend to be playing it sounds like you're looking for classic Fender clean, first and foremost - no bells, no whistles, no modeling, just good solid analog tone with a splash of reverb - and I'd sooner go with one of these for one-third the price:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-2...90-i1479747.gc

For the next year or so you've got a headphone jack and audio input for jam tracks, so nobody hears you but you - and when you're ready, $70 spent on an Eminence Ragin' Cajun will turn it into a gigworthy rig for smaller venues (something the THR-10c can't do, period) at a little over half the price of the Yamaha. FYI these amps are a discontinued line (IMO the replacement Champion series isn't as good), so if you're interested - and nothing sounds as good with a Fender guitar as a Fender amp - I'd move on it ASAP...
Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks Steve! That does look good for my purposes. Can it also be played quietly without headphones? I was considering the Mustang 1 but thought it might be bulky ( I'd like to carry it out to my garage pretty often) or just plain old too loud to play in my home.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
...Can it also be played quietly without headphones? ...
If you mean normal-TV-listening-volume quietly - and you're going for clean sound - absolutely; you'll just need to tinker with input/guitar volume - as you would with any amp - to find the "sweet spot"...
Old 09-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks, Steve. I'll definitely give that one some consideration. And I love saving money!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
jaguar, yamaha thr10