The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Default Noob amp question: Washburn WA15G

This is the electric amp I have. Since I got it with my mid-90s Washburn MG-40, I assume it's from the same period and is a generic Washburn practice amp:

My question is, what does the button do? I initially thought it was a loud/quiet setting but sometimes it's quieter to have it in, other times louder. Is it perhaps skipping the gain circuit entirely or something like that?

Considering it's a little amp (1 foot across) I find that in my room I can't run the volume up past about 1 before it gets too loud, if I have gain at 5!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Assuming that the gain circuit is activated when the button is on, then the first knob will determine either the amount of distortion or the volume of the distortion. Depends whether the clean volume knob is functional when the gain circuit is on...If the second knob is functional when the gain is on then it would function as a master volume.
I couldn't find a manual for that amp on the internet....

Last edited by guitararmy; 09-23-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM

It's a gain switch. Push it and your Washburn Amp will sound like 10 Marshall Stacks kinda', sorta' maybe... Ric
Old 09-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Assuming that the gain circuit is activated when the button is on, then the first knob will determine either the amount of distortion or the volume of the distortion. Depends whether the clean volume knob is functional when the gain circuit is on...If the second knob is functional when the gain is on then it would function as a master volume.
I couldn't find a manual for that amp on the internet....
Both knobs work but the gain does nothing with the switch unpressed so that makes sense. Explains why with the gain very low, pushing the button ON makes the output volume quieter whereas with the gain turned up, pushing it ON increases the volume, which was what confused me

I couldn't find a manual either, figure it's a cheap practice amp. I wonder, would mic-ing it up work or is it pointless on an amp of this calibre?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:53 PM

If it has a headphone output you could run that into a PA system.
Probably a good idea to start saving for a better amp.
I like solid state amps. One that got a good review was the Blackstar core series:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Where does "the amp is part of your instrument" fit in with taking a line out from the amp instead of mic-ing it? How much of an amp's sound comes from the precise wobble of the speaker cone compared to the electrical gubbins inside?

My issue is I would never want to play loudly at home, and I believe even with a modern amp you have to run some sort of volume through it to get the real sound? So I'm considering going the modelled route longer term, rather than lug around a big old amp. In my typical playing scenario (church) an amp turned up to a decent level for tone purposes is loud enough people start complaining before it's even put in the PA
Old 09-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Where does "the amp is part of your instrument" fit in with taking a line out from the amp instead of mic-ing it? How much of an amp's sound comes from the precise wobble of the speaker cone compared to the electrical gubbins inside?

My issue is I would never want to play loudly at home, and I believe even with a modern amp you have to run some sort of volume through it to get the real sound? So I'm considering going the modelled route longer term, rather than lug around a big old amp. In my typical playing scenario (church) an amp turned up to a decent level for tone purposes is loud enough people start complaining before it's even put in the PA
For home playing have you looked at going software based? I'm using the full version of Amplitube in to a small quad 4" pa speaker. The full version can be found often on sale around $99. They often run 2 for 1 point specials on the add-on's. Amplitube does a pretty good job and go he's you a good amount of control at at a decent volume for home use. May be worth checking out.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 AM

I looked at amplitube but then I would be buying two sets of kit which is MORE expensive I was actually toying at one point with the idea of using Amplitube AS my stage setup but I don't really like the idea, having to CTRL-ALT-DELETE mid-song would be embarrassing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars