The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Yes, the Fender Modern Player should be a fine choice. If you were talking about a bass for a professional, gigging bass player, I would probably direct you to the Fender American Jazz, but for laying down some bass tracks and accompanying some school children it should be a fine compromise of affordability and playability/tone.

The one caveat would be to try it first. The thing about instruments in this range range is that there is some inconsistency. That is why I like Yamaha, Ibanez and to a lesser extent Fender. All three have pretty consistent quality across their entire range.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Please check out my review of the made in Mexico Fender Standard Jazz Bass, HERE. As you may know the Jazz has a more narrow neck than many others. I've found the quality to be fine for most studio work.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM

My favorite bass is the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Model, it is the one I would buy. And you don't have to be big to play bass. Check out Tal Wilkenfield:

Old 09-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Except for the legendary headstock issues on the older models (I've never seen a Reissue with this problem, BTW) not so on either count, guys. As I said above I own one, so unless you're bent on shattering glass there's more than enough treble to be had when you dime the bridge pickup through a modern amp (you're probably thinking about the 2x15" and 1x18" folded-horn cabs from the late-60's/early-70's, Heavy, and I'll agree 100% - those things would make a Rick 4001 with Rotosounds sound like a foghorn) - comparable in this respect to the Pedulla it replaced, and that's with medium-heavy flatwounds. FWIW I can also get those thicker tones one usually associates with the '60's Gibsons/Epiphones as well as anything in between by playing with the instrument's tone/volume controls and amp EQ, and since the OP's musical tastes lean more toward the conservative side, IMO it's a more quality/cost-effective option...

I'd also beg to differ on both the reach and neck dive counts. One thing I've noticed in comparison to the '60s EB-0/EB-3 models is that they're generally heavier (the new ones can scale in at as high as 8-1/2 pounds - borderline P-/J-Bass territory - while some of the originals I've played over the last 50 years probably barely cracked the six-pound mark) with additional beef in both the neck (they've gone to 1-5/8" rather than the original 1-1/2", with a more rounded profile) and the body (something they first addressed in the post-1972 versions, BTW - the treble side is less contoured and more slab-like) - and while they're not perfect, neither is a P- or J-Bass in my experience. In addition, my wife is of similar stature to the OP (5'2" with small hands), and although she has issues with the 8-pound weight she's never had difficulty making the lower-position reaches - easier to execute than on her four-pound Hofner 5000/1, BTW - and speaking as one who's owned/played more than a few Fenders (I'm 5'11" with long fingers so weight/scale length is not a problem) there's no comparison in my book in terms of ease of handling either. There had to be something in this little ~$600 instrument that made it #1 over my (considerably more expensive) '91 Pedulla - and IMO the OP can make far worse choices in both the short and long run...
You can argue with me about it all ya want. All else being equal, shorter top horns increase first position reach and increase likelihood for neck dive. The SGs are typically shorter scale length, which compensates.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
...shorter top horns increase first position reach and increase likelihood for neck dive. The SGs are typically shorter scale length, which compensates...
My point exactly, if you reread my post - what's the problem...?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:54 PM

If G&L basses are available where you are I would give them a serious look. The USA models are top shelf, and the Tribute models are maybe the best bang for the buck basses around. The JB series are similar to the a Fender Jazz bass.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:13 AM

If you need an amp, today's Stupid Deal of the Day at MusiciansFriend is an Ampeg 12" bass amp.......
Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm a long time instructor, so I see most models of entry level basses brought in with students. For the money, I really can't complain too much about the Squier Classic Vibe series, and the Squier Vintage modified series instruments.
Especially the Classic Vibe. Without a doubt I would actually prefer it to the typical Mexican Fender bass.
I have no experience with the Fender Modern Player model.
Also, I would concur with the suggestion of G&L. Almost always superior to Fender, and the tribute series (Asian imports), are among the best imo of the this type of thing (cheaper import line of an American made line).
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Fender Mustang bass

You can not go wrong with a MIJ Fender Mustang. You should be able to find one used. I got in trouble ( by my wife ) for buying one for my son in 2003 for Christmas. He used it throughout middle school jazz band and high school jazz band. He's playing professionally now ( so why did we send him to college ? ) and still enjoys playing the Mustang occasionally and has positive comments about the short scale and comfort.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistigri View Post
She has pretty much reached her adult size, but she is quite petite with small hands. However she has only ever played full-size bass guitars, and she says this isn't an issue. I know that the weight could be a factor if she was playing standing up for long periods but it won't be used like that, certainly at this point.

She plays a bit of everything really ... from jazz through traditional music and folk to rock.

I've looked at the fender standard jazz bass, they are quite a lot more expensive here (Europe) but I suppose I'd rather spend a bit more and get a "proper instrument". It wouldn't be so bad but she needs a new saxophone too ...

Based on what you've described, this Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass is my recommendation.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squi...jbass60_ow.htm

The Classic Vibe series is the top of the line for Fender's Squier budget brand. I own a Precision model, and I'm very well satisfied with both the sound and the build quality.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM

Today's Stupid Deal of the Day at MusiciansFriend.com is a G&L Tribute Bass...
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Today's Stupid Deal of the Day at MusiciansFriend.com is a G&L Tribute Bass...
(The OP is in Europe... but Stupid Deals are ideal for getting a bass here in the US, true. A friend got a Squier Classic Vibe '50s P bass for $299 last month from a SDotD.)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM

The Squier Classic Vibe series is the best bang for the buck I have ever played, and I've been playing electric guitar and bass for 17 years.

True, a short scale bass might fit better, though I have never personally liked their tone. Plenty of kids can play full scale instruments - I learned on a 2" nut/650mm scale classical when I was maybe 4'6" tall, and was playing a full scale Precision bass when I was maybe 5'.

Squier Classic Vibe jazz bass - versatile, affordable, and NOT an instrument she will "outgrow" physically or skills-wise. My classic vibe strat sits next to my American and Japanese Fenders and gets just as much play time.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

the fender modern players are really nice basses, and not just for the money, but honestly squiers are pretty good, too, and a good value. hopefully the OP has headed off to talk bass, my favorite bass board, but sounds like her daughter will have a good idea of what she wants.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 AM

I'm still reading this thread attentively, thanks for all the comments.

We haven't been shopping yet, and it doesn't seem like a great time of the year for guitar shopping in Europe - stocks seem to be really low at both our nearest good guitar shop and the on-line sellers. We will definitely be looking at those Squiers, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars