The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 PM

I have an all hard rock maple Carvin DC-125 I purchased new in 1986. The catalog weight is 8.5 pounds. I'm sure there are many heavier guitars. Back then Carvin offered two wood choices; Eastern hard rock maple or Koa. I don't consider the guitar to be bright or too heavy for a 4 hour stand up gig. It certainly doesn't sound as bright as say Joe Walsh's typical Les Paul brightness. I use it for everything: classic rock, metal, classic country etc. In any event a twist of the tone control or amp setting will fix brightness, darkness, or whatever.

From what I understand about the laws of physics governing the tone production of an electric guitar, it is basically impossible for the wood to influence the **plugged in tone** anyway. We all know how opinions vary about that.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM

I have a solid maple Kramer from the 80s and its a tank.
Weighs in at around 11lbs and wore that around my neck for hundreds and hundreds of gigs.
I put a tone zone in the bridge and an Evo in the neck.
Not sure if maple is bright but i can say it's **** heavy...lol
Wouldn't buy another solid maple axe but sure glad I own one
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM

In the 80s G&L made guitars from maple. The mythology is Mr Fender and company had a stack of the stuff and figured they better put it to use like Fender always did. I have played a couple and, while on the heavy side, they weren't remarkably so. On the brighter side but not as much as might be expected. I suspect there are some real, real heavy ones out there but given a chance to test em, I'd probably buy one.

hunter
Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM

I had a "Blonde" maple all around tele back in 70s; not sure of the actual vintage. Ran it through a Twin Reverb for bar and dance band gigs. For my bare fingers picking/strumming + slide style of play it worked pretty well. One guitar I never shoulda sold. Easiest playing neck/fretboard of any guitar I've ever owned, acoustic or electric.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 09-16-2014, 04:51 PM

I had a rock maple-bodied custom Tele with a purpleheart top. That guitar through a Marshall would slice cinder blocks in half. Looked great, but piercing as an ice pick.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionman View Post
I have a solid maple Kramer from the 80s and its a tank.
Weighs in at around 11lbs and wore that around my neck for hundreds and hundreds of gigs.
I put a tone zone in the bridge and an Evo in the neck.
Not sure if maple is bright but i can say it's **** heavy...lol
Wouldn't buy another solid maple axe but sure glad I own one
Cool. 11 lbs is heavy. My Les Paul is 10.5 lbs but it's much more manageable with a nice, wide, padded strap.

Welcome to the AGF.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Cool. 11 lbs is heavy. My Les Paul is 10.5 lbs but it's much more manageable with a nice, wide, padded strap.

Welcome to the AGF.
Yes it sure is heavy so I usually play it sitting down these days.
In my late 40s now and I have much lighter guitars to choose from when I stand up to play...lol

10.5lbs Les Paul...so you know what I'm sayin.
I have a decent strap also and it makes a huge difference!

Thanks very much for the warm welcome
Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Rickenbackers are all maple (most of them, anyway) and are not heavy at all, except perhaps the 381.
Yeah, but Rickenbackers have chambered bodies to lighten the weight. Richenbackers belong to two different classes. Those made before 1980 had low-output pickups and had a very bright, jangly sound. Those made after 1980 had higher output pickups and were more mid-rangey.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Yeah, but Rickenbackers have chambered bodies to lighten the weight. Richenbackers belong to two different classes. Those made before 1980 had low-output pickups and had a very bright, jangly sound. Those made after 1980 had higher output pickups and were more mid-rangey.
Not true of all Ricks, only the 330/360/325 variants and guitars based on those models such as the 381. The 600/200/400 series are all solid body construction.

And, chambered is probably not the correct terminology to describe how they are made, they are hollowed out vs. chambering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars