The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Default 60 years old and going electric

I feel a little to old really and have played acoustic guitar(D28) for 12 years. Have a Fender Telecaster coming in a few days and a modest Fender amp. I figure if I don't like it I can sell. Will I have to change my playing style any which is a lot of bluegrass and country plus music I grew up with 60's and 70's rock and folk...... Am I crazy for giving this a try?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Welcome to the dark side, Cibby! I say pick a few of your favorite songs that have electric guitar, learn them, and take it from there. It won't be time wasted.

What are some of the 70s rock you like?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 PM

Not at all! You'll likely find your touch too heavy on electric at first. Electrics take a softer touch with both hands to get good tone and good intonation. If you accidentally dig in too hard, a Telecaster can really let you know fast. Aside from that, if paired with a good clean amp almost anything is fair game on a Tele - even Travis picking.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
...Electrics take a softer touch with both hands to get good tone and good intonation. If you accidentally dig in too hard, a Telecaster can really let you know fast. Aside from that, if paired with a good clean amp almost anything is fair game on a Tele - even Travis picking.
As a contemporary (I'm 61) and former Tele player, I say welcome aboard...

I'll agree with Clint about the need for a softer touch in general; however, if you're going to be switching back and forth between acoustic and electric (as I still do on occasion) you might consider going to heavier strings (11's or 12's), or at least a wound G to maintain a similar feel. I used to have my late-CBS '52 Reissue set up exactly as Leo would have shipped it from the factory - flatwound 12's and the lowest possible action - and not only did I not have most of the intonation gremlins associated with the brass "barrel" saddles, I never even considered replacement pickups in pursuit of "bigger" tone. FWIW the "classic" electrics (Tele, Strat, LP, SG, ES-Series, Gretsch/Guild/Epiphone hollows) were all designed around similar strings, and IMO sound/play their best when those parameters are followed as closely as possible (FYI these would have been the same strings you hear on virtually all recorded electric guitar until the mid-60's); since you're used to playing exclusively acoustic for the last 12 years, the transition should be an easy one...

I don't know which "modest" Fender amp you've chosen, but if it's one of the tube-powered models you might find these threads of interest:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=350838
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=351696

Keep us posted when you get your new stuff...
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM

Location: Somewhere along old Route 66...with my turn signal still blinking...

Go for it...got my first electric last year...I'm 64.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Put 9 gauge on the Tele and enjoy the bends. They come stock with 9s now, so give them a chance.

If you love country, Tele will steal your heart. Aim for this as a new goal on your horizon;

Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Glad to see a couple guys around my age have done this . The lighter touch is good advice as with bluegrass I kind of dig in. I think this Tele comes with .09-.42 that seems light but I am thinking acoustic. I was asked about 70's rock I like. By the early 70's I was getting into the southern rock with Skynrd and 38 Special, Marshall Tucker the Allman brothers. Also The Stones since late 60's and other 60's bands like Cream, Buffalo Springfield, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Canned Heat. A lot of others just some great music back then. Well I hope I am able to learn how to handle this Tele and get some fun out of playing it.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

You may find the playing easier. Crazy?? Not at all.

Adding a little variety keeps things interesting. I played rock 'n roll for a lot of years, but over the past decade or so have moved almost entirely to acoustic. But, a Gibson ES-335 (that I've had for 48 years) and a Taylor T-5 keep me electrified once in a while. Nice to be able to go back and forth.

Enjoy that new Tele!

Captain Jim
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 AM

Cibby... you have excellent taste in music!

I've played both electric and acoustic for over 40 years, so I may not be much help with your transition. Subconsciously, I have a very different mindset when I have an electric in my hands.

I agree with the above comments about a "lighter" touch. Don't get frustrated if you have problems at first... give it some time.

Also, if you want to play Cream songs, you'll need some overdrive/fuzz and reverb/delay. Does the Fender amp come with these effects?

Which Tele model are you getting? Post some pics if you get a chance.

Good luck with the transition!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 AM

I started playing acoustic more than 50 years ago then switched to electric when I was a kid in high school rock bands...then back to acoustic..then... when I was 50 (now 62) I got the electric I always wanted - Stratocaster. Now I play both electric and acoustic. I bought a little practice amp feeling that would be just fine...and it was for a while...needless to say, I now have a second electric, 3 nice Fender amps and a fully loaded pedalboard...love it especially when guitar buddies come over and we can jam. I must say though that most of my guitar "work" and progress are made still on the acoustic...fingerstyle acoustic is my true love but I really like playing electric especially blues and the old 60-70's tunes and of course The Ventures.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 AM

For me as both acoustic and electric player the 10's are better on my electrics. They tranlate better to my fingers than lighter strings. On my acoustics I alway go light gauge and for the same reason. It makes going from acoustic to electric easier for my hands. I also play with a heavy pick so that is a factor. Enjoy the tele they are fun guitars and will do anything you need to do.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:48 AM

From one Geezer to another , at least you picked the "Correct" guitar.

Have fun.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Never too old

Have a ball with it Cibby! I'm 63 and have been playing acoustic for over 40 years. Some arthritis in my fretting thumb has me thinking I may not be able to fret my acoustics forever so I picked up an electric to see how I would like it. Theory is as the hand gets worse I may be able to keep playing the easier to fret electric.
Some of my observations after 2 years of electric playing. As mentioned, a lighter touch with both hands. Even playing clean I find I need less notes...less 6 string strumming and more partial chords, fewer finger picked or cross picked notes than on acoustic. Lighter especially on the fretting hand. I thought I had intonation issues but it was all me stretching strings sharp with my acoustic grip....had to lighten up and I play 11's to keep it feeling more like my acoustics that run 11's and 12's. I still slam into an open D chord and sharp the G string, but I'm getting better. 6:am practice is ok with an unplugged electric, doesn't bother anyone else in the house.
Lastly, my acoustic playing has never been better. Since you hear every mistake on the electric, especially through headphones, my playing is cleaner than before. Plus you just can't help running scales and improvising on the electric, so all of a sudden I'm throwing fills and runs into my acoustic songs .
One caution, I now have 5 electric guitars and still need to try a Tele and a Les Paul. GAS has been put on steroids! Enjoy your new journey!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 AM

OH THAT! I forgot to mention the GAS issue. I am up to over 20 guitars as with electrics you really do need around 12 or so to fill each need. Fender Gibson Rickenbacker, 6 string 12 string, plus other makers as well. The good news is electric guitars are cheap compared to acoustics so collect them all and in all colors.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
...I am up to over 20 guitars as with electrics you really do need around 12 or so to fill each need...The good news is electric guitars are cheap compared to acoustics so collect them all and in all colors.
Heck, 20 guitars wouldn't even be a decent Strat collection in all colors...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars