The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM

If you can afford it, the Squier Classic Vibe series is pretty solid. I have the '60's vintage vibe strat, and have nothing but good things to say about it. The tremelo can be set up for stable use and tuning, unlike some other "bargain" selections.

The Classic Vibe Telecaster is a favorite, and is reviewed very favorably.

The fixed bridge keeps you from having to worry about tuning issues associated with the tremelo system.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by Vognell; 07-29-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: problem with embedding youtube video
Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM

An almost sure way to NEVER learn to play guitar is to try to learn on a cheap one.

Buy a good guitar including a good set up to be "easy to play"..(and check the neck adjustment every year on a new guitar) and in the unlikely even that you do not learn,you can sell it without trouble.
Buy a Fender Stratocaster American Standard model..pick one that vibrates acoustically NOT plugged in.
Another good starter guitar is a Gibson SG or Les Paul Junior.
Again look for vibrating body.
Out of all of them something comfortable to hold and a sound plugged in that you love..

A good one of any of these can be your guitar for life and they will help you progress.
If you have little cash find a used one with some dents instead of a cheaper new one.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 PM

you don't need to spend in excess of a grand to get a decent guitar, but spending between $300 - $400 is reasonable. $200 and below does not usually get you anything worthwhile. The American Standard Strat is a great guitar, and if you can afford it ($1200 or more), more power to you. If you've got other things to spend your money on (food, gas, rent, all that jazz), you've got more affordable options.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I think a telecaster is good to start on. The controls are very basic and it is a very honest guitar and doesn't hide mistakes. A Squire is a good choice, though honestly, if you search used you can find a nice MIM tele for around $250 to $300. If you get a thinline version you can play it acoustically. Though, it won't be as loud as a full hollowbody electric archtop.

Another option is an Epiphone DOT series. Fairly cheap and sound pretty good too!

Todd
If you've got your heart set on starting with and electric guitar, I second BoneDigger's point of view. Tele or ES-335 style guitars are the most versatile I've played so far (in that order). Either sound fantastic though a Tweed, Twin or Deluxe circuit. For starters, a Mustang II or III would work great.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Squier "Classic Vibe" Stratocaster. Plenty of quality in an beginner/intermediate guitar.
And easy on the wallet.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM

You get an electric, now you gotta get an amp. If you took the same money for both things, plus cables and what have you, and bought an acoustic its about the same. You gotta have a budget in mind for the amp, and do you want effects? That is a modeling amp, not expensive but it all adds up. An acoustic is just play it and go. And electrics with no effects sound pretty lame after a short while. Now you are into buying effects. And on.

That having been said, for $500 you get a pro quality electric new and that wil get you something just decently okay on an acoustic. So acoustics are a lot more money to get started on. $500 buys you a laminate guitar or an Ovation. Used MIM Teles or Strats are a good idea.

Good starter acoustics can be had for under $100 used, anything by Yamaha is a good bet. I would go that way and if you like it, get something you really want after a few months.

If you are going electric, its gonna be $400 or more to get going.

Both work for learning. Just thought I would add that. Acoustic is the tradition but you play what you have.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
An almost sure way to NEVER learn to play guitar is to try to learn on a cheap one.

Buy a good guitar including a good set up to be "easy to play"..(and check the neck adjustment every year on a new guitar) and in the unlikely even that you do not learn,you can sell it without trouble.
Buy a Fender Stratocaster American Standard model..pick one that vibrates acoustically NOT plugged in.
Another good starter guitar is a Gibson SG or Les Paul Junior.
Again look for vibrating body.
Out of all of them something comfortable to hold and a sound plugged in that you love..

A good one of any of these can be your guitar for life and they will help you progress.
If you have little cash find a used one with some dents instead of a cheaper new one.
Hello everyone! New here. Been playing elect/acoustic guitar for a long time. This is good advice from the poster above. I play more on guitars that inspire me to pick them up. I have actually tried to set up and tune some of the el-cheepo’s that my friends, nieces, nephews, and cousins have been given and they would not even tune or intonate properly. Much less set up or play like a nicer guitar.

If you get a good used guitar such as recommended above, you can always sell it and get your money back if you decide guitar is not for you. Get an experienced player (not a salesman) to help you pick one out. Same goes for an amp.

If you are going to be a guitar player then you are going to have to learn to do string changes, set ups, and basic maintenance. The good news is there is more instruction in the form of DVD’s, books, internet videos, etc. than ever before in history. No excuses.

I would add one thing to the recommendations above; its true that the better playing/sounding guitars do seem to resonate unplugged but, plug it in and be sure the pickups sound pleasing. Someone could have put some real junk in there if you are looking at used.

Best of luck to you! Never quit.
Woolly

Last edited by Woollymonster; 08-17-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Default schecter

hey schecter are great and not expensive . if you are going to be a trem bar player you do need a good bar system like the cat above said
Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Having recently experienced a glut of 'inexpensive' guitars, I can say without fear of contradiction that the quality gap between 'budget' offerings (£500 and under) to mid and upper range guitars (£501 to £1250) is narrowing.

Seriously, in the last week I've had the opportunity to play a Yamaha Pacifica, Ibanez Roadcore and Schecter Tempest and have been blown away by the quality and playability of all of them. I've been a fan of the Squier CV range for some time but to try these 'off-brand' guitars has been a bit of a revelation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars