The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-28-2014, 03:14 PM

I own one Gibby LP for which I paid $1700+ and 3 Epi LP's for which I paid $2,200 total for three. IMO the Epi 50's vs 60's Tribute + is the best value in a LP out there right now. That's why I own two of this model. It would have to be a very special Gibby at this point before I'd buy another Gibby LP. In the right model, Epi LPs give more bang for the buck IMO.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 09-14-2014, 02:23 AM

I have an epiphone LP custom (ivory, black back) that I got used for 500$. I did do a few upgrades (tusq nut, new pickups, new pots, new switch). Its not essential though. Epiphones don't sound bad, they just all sound the same. Its not a huge problem. I put some tone emporium pickups in there, they were a bit over 100$ on sale. All in I payed way less than a gibby and I love the result. I also own an epiphone dot studio limited edition that is stock and plays like butter. I don't know if I lucked out or they are all that good but IMO epiphone is the best quality for the money in electrics out there.

There's a certain "mod" culture surrounding epiphones. People buy them as projects and work on them. I've done it. But really in the end, the modified guitar isn't WAY better (it is a bit), but mostly just customized. They are usually good right out of the box or with a minor setup. I would stay away from the junior or the lp-100 though; same situation as the Gibson "maestro" acoustics. Awful instruments.

If I had the money for a gibson LP standard or traditional, I'd probably go to the store, try a few out, and then pay off some student loans ahahha.

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:33 AM

Epiphones are some of the nicest Chinese and Indonesian instruments out there. Gibson are some of the nicest instruments built here in the U.S.

Of course, some older Epiphones are built in Korea and Japan, and in the United States before that, but if we're talking current line-up...

My Chinese Epi LP weighs 8 lbs, and it's not weight-relieved or chambered. Apparently Chinese wood weighs less than American mahogany.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 AM

There are a few construction differences between the two brands.

- Gibson backs are 1-2 piece.
- Epiphone backs could be 1-4 pieces. (usually on the higher side)

- Gibson tops are a 2 pc seamed maple cap. Approximately 1/4" at the edge of the guitar and approximately 3/4" in the middle.
- Epiphone: uses a maple cap (that could have 2-8 seams), not sure how thick, then a veneer to make it 2pc seamed appearance.

- Gibson uses a nitro finish. Many prefer this over poly
- Epiphone has a poly finish. Many prefer this over nitro. (note some of the Japan Epi's may have a nitro finish)

- Gibson comes Plek'd as standard. (though debated on the net as to its quality vs luthier plek'ing)
- Epiphone, certain special runs may be plek'd.

Bottom line, there is some difference between the two beyond the location of manufacturer, the quality of the electronics etc.

If you are looking for an epi, this was a pretty good price for one at sweetwater. The coloring and finish style gives it a little vintage vibe.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCTTSNH3
Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 AM

I too think that Epis are a decent, affordable choice. Truth be told the electronics are nothing to write home about, but that can be cured either with aftermarket tinkering or by purchasing from a guy like Stratosphere, who always offers "stripped down" guitars.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:18 AM

I had a modded Blues Junior I played through 90% of the time. Mostly with my Strat. Brother kept saying "Get a Gibson LP, Get a Gibson LP". I didnt want to put out that kind of money. I feel LP's are a little too heavy for me. But I did eventually buy an black Epi LP Custom with "Gold Appointments". Played it at the shop through a Marshall Mini Stack, was not all that impressed by I did like it, figured Id buy it and take it home and see what kind of pickups I could replace them with that would be similar to the Gibson LP but not cost a small fortune.

Took it home, plugged it into the Blues Junior, and WOW. (That was my first impression). I called my brother and had him bring over his Gibson LP Standard. I am not exaggerating, some might think I am, but in nearly every area that Epi blew away that Gibson Standard. From tone to appearance. The Action out of the box was at least the Gibson's equal. (I never cared for a flametop anyway), that $600 guitar, to my ear and my brothers, was more guitar than that Gibson which I think he paid close to 1800 for.

Later I played it through a Transtube, cant recall the brand but a higher end transtube type amp, and it sounded even better. The only problem I had with it, was again, for me it was too heavy. Plus I sit and play a lot so it was a balancing act playing it. I like Les Pauls, just not something I would want to play every day.

I think we sat there for about 2 hours going "How the heck are they selling this guitar for $600?". Kinda reminded me of that single pickup Fender with the Strat style body and Tele Style head they pulled off the market. Too good of a guitar for $99.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 AM

While I'm thinking about it another Epi I had, that my wife bought me one Christmas the year they came out was the Wildkat. Not too many of my friends cared for the looks, I loved it and it was a great sounding and playing guitar, only problem was scratchy pickups. Took it to a shop (Fondren Guitars) and they fixed it for I think 50 bucks. Liked it so much Im thinking about replacing it. Original cost at GC was $549, LGS here has one new for $349.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:30 AM

I have 2 LPs. First is a 94 Gibson Les Paul Studio that I bought used around 2001. Second is an Agile AL-3010SE.

The Agile runs for 325 brand new and it is just a fantastic guitar. Mine has P90s so it is hard to do a straight sound comparison to my HB equipped Gibson but as far as finish and playability, it is right there with my Gibson. I love the sound of both. Lately I have been favoring the P90 sound which was the whole reason I purchased the Agile in the first place.

When talking about non-Gibson Les Pauls, I think Agile needs to be in the discussion. The quality and appointments compared to their price is fantastic. They offer amazing bang for the buck. If going with a chinese guitar like Epiphone anyways, why not consider Agile.

On the subject of Epis, I do own one Epiphone ES-355. Playability and sound are great. Finish is really good, not great. I absolutely love the guitar and would buy it again. I am not anti Epi at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars